Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Children Eating? page 2

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks again kmac. My kid is already health conscious just from watching her dad struggle with weight and sincerely try to eat better several times during her life. Of course, I have yo yo dieted and failed every time, but she has learned from listening and knowing my struggles. She's a runner, one of the more athletic kids in her class, with a pudgy soft belly, but that's serious nitpicking. There's no sign of childhood obesity with her despite the obesity among the family's adults. She is also constantly reprimanding other kids for their bad eating habits; something other parents compliment fat ol' me for. My mom used to criticize her long before I ever considered low carbing because she will not eat bread with a meal, only in a sandwich. She now loves her burgers wrapped in romaine. I think I got this. I just need to get that after school replacement-meal-for-skipping-lunch something hearty and healthy and my kid will be almost as primal as me. The only meal that would then require your "cold turkey" advice would be breakfast and we're already half way there as she does love scambled eggs, bacon and a little fruit as much as anything else.

I'm feeling good about this.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Ah, there is another hurdle. She's pretty active with extracurricular stuff and that often lends itself to eating out, or eating at someone else's house. I've hated fast food for most of her life, not mine, so she's knows better, but what's she to do when the bus stops at Wendy's? I think summer is coming just in time. I'll have two and a half months to program her. She's watching me with a bit of a jaundiced eye at the moment. Year's ago she was my motivation for kicking smokes. Now she'll be my motivation for eating right.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Great thread. Lots of parents of twins on this forum!! My kids are a bit older (14, 7, 5,5) and set in their ways more than toddlers are, but we are weaning them away from sugar cereals, sandwiches etc. Instead of noodles in their spaghetti, I use cut green beans ... we rarely offer rice or potatoes with dinner anymore, and they don't seem to miss it. They have really gotten in to reading nutrition labels and are horrified when they find anything with polyunsaturated fat or a lot of sugar in it

They want to go to Burger King tonight (DH has to work late, so I want to get them out of the house for a bit). I think I will show them the nutrition website and see if they change their minds

Nowadays a typical menu might be:
    Breakfast - scrambled eggs and sausage
    Lunch - PBJ, ham and cheese, or grilled cheese, or leftovers from dinner
    Snack - dried or fresh fruit, slice of cheese
    Dinner - any kind of meat, salad or non-starchy veggies.
    Dessert - they love ice cream but I've always served it in ramikens so they are used to small portions. We used to do a lot of baking but not so much anymore and they don't seem to miss it...

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    My kids are going more primal every day. They already love primal foods, and we're phasing out stuff we don't want them to have. My son is so darn sensitive to so much that triggers his ADHD, so he's getting reined in quickly. Already seeing improvement. They get meat, eggs, most veg, root veg in small portions occasionally, LC fruits, full-fat dairy, dark chocolate, nuts/seeds.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Grol,

I think it all comes down to leading by example. I can only speak from watching my friends and family. Those who have poor lifestyle and nutritional habits themselves, generally raise children who will follow. Those who read labels, exercise, read about nutrition, look for new recipes and so on, will generally have children who have similar habits. Those who are extreme, generally have children who go in the opposite direction (this is important!)

When my students who are struggling with their health come to me for help, I always ask about their home life, what their parents do for a living, what they eat, do they eat as a family and so on. Those who have been pushed for years are those who push back or who have 'issues' with their view of food. For example, I was talking to a girl just the other day. She has lost a bunch of weight, but in the process her parents took her to a dietitian who told the girl who already had negative issues around food and exercise to eat a calorie restricted diet in order to lose the weight. She is an extremely active athlete! She needs to nourish her body, not starve it. I listened to everything she told me and then talked to her about nourishing her body with real food so that she would eventually begin to feel better and eventually learn to love food as something that nourishes our bodies.

I have a number of other examples, many that are disturbing but I am blabbing.

I think the best thing to do is to help your children to learn to appreciate food rather than to fear it, and to not live a "perfect" life. Go to Wendy's with her once in a while and let her order what she wants, and order something that you feel fits within the boundaries of your preferred diet. Example: Order a salad, burger and baked potato. Ditch half or all of the bun, eat the meat & veggies, use some of the dressing, and top the potato with sour cream, butter and guacamole if they have it. Your daughter will see what you are doing and she may eventually do the same. If you go to Wendy's preaching to her about how terrible fast food joints are, she will not enjoy the process and she won't learn anything.

I know a family who did this. When we took their son on a school trip, I was very impressed with how he ate over the weekend compared with the other students. We went to a place with a choice of a donut shop, McDonalds, or following me to a family restaurant. He choose the restaurant. He and I enjoyed a nice meal and had a great conversation. My guess is that if his parents didn't shape this behavior for him, he would have made an alternative choice.

Sorry for the long post, but I think this deserves a full blog post over at my blog, so stay tuned and I will elaborate in the future.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    My ds typically eats:

Breakfast....choice from the list, not the enitre list
    Scrambled eggs & bacon
    Quiche made with sausage & veggies (I make in a mini-muffin pan so they're tiny and he can hold them in his hands)
    Fruit with yogurt
    Occassionally dh will give him an organic waffle

Snack choices:
    Fruit (apples, kiwi, oranges, bananas, melons, pineapple)
    Olives
    Yogurt
    Berries
    Nuts (he's obsessed with almonds and cashews)
    Cheese

Lunch
    Almost always eats some sort of soup. Our nanny makes, purees and freezes huge batches of soup for him that are made from chicken and tons of different veggies. On the weekends when I make lunch, he gets leftovers from dinner with some veggies or fruit.

Dinner
    Whatever we're having. Last night, he ate an ENTIRE filet (he's 2). He also ate a "salad" - all the stuff (lettuce, cukes, peppers, carrots) I'd put in my salad but piled in separate piles on his plate and with a tiny cup of homemade dressing to dip it in (he loves anything he can dip). We almost always grill veggies along with our meat so he'll eat that (asparagus, squash, zucchini, onions, tomatoes).

We give him two sippy cups of milk per day and otherwise he drinks water with lemon in it.

He takes a CLO supplement each day but no other supplements.

He eats healthy at home so I don't stress out when he eats ice cream at the grandparents or a cupcake at preschool.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Oh...and my son is obsessed with ice cream and the ice cream man. So occassionally, I'll chop a banana and freeze it. I'll then throw the banana and a little heavy cream and a spoon of almond butter into the magic bullet and blend. It comes out like banana ice cream and he doesn't know the difference.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    My kids are mostly primal, with a few exceptions. I don't restrict their fruit intake, and they love fruit!

Breakfast is usually fruit, greek yogurt and sometimes quinoa porriage with heavy cream. If we're eating breakfast at that time then they partake in the bacon/meat and eggs as well.

For lunch I do a snack platter. Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, cheese, cold chicken, nuts, hardboiled eggs... or soup. They are bonkers for soup with broccoli and chicken. We'll probably do less soup as it warms up!

They usually have a snack before dinner. Meat and cheese, or another fruit, or some yogurt if they didn't have it with breakfast.

Dinner they eat what we eat.

If they didn't like what we had for dinner, lately I've been giving them a smoothie or other snack before bed, as I've noticed that on nights they don't have a good meal before bed they are restless, wakeful and hungry in the middle of the night.

They drink milk and water throughout the day.

For treats I make them coconut flour muffins (maybe once a month?) or they love a nibble of my dark chocolate! I'm going to make up smoothie popsicles for summer, frozen yogurt with no sugar just berries and yogurt, and will probably make some real ice cream a couple times over the summer. (my hubby LOVES ice cream, and I love being able to put only a tiny amount of sugar in!)

My groklings are 3 yrs old and 20 months old.

We do not restrict what grandma and grandpa give them when they visit, so there they receive wonder bread sandwiches, mac and cheese, candy, etc etc etc. but my parents are coming around as they see how hyper and un cooperative they are after being fed junk! lol
    Last edited by lil_earthmomma; 05-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    What a fantastic thread! Here are some more:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=Primal+kids
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=Primal+kids

My kids are 8 and 11. They eat what we eat - no special 'kid food'. One has a very strong internal ability to monitor what she eats (the 8 yo). She eats some junk but mostly fills herself healthfully. My 11 yo has major impulse control issues in all areas, incl food. It's so not a parenting thing. She's been this way since she was a newborn. Both have.

Here's document I compiled regarding the primal feeding of babies/toddlers:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...tuZHNnMw&hl=en

Infant Nutrition and Starting Solids
    compiled by Katherine Morrison
    excerpted from the following sites and from other sources over time

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...Feeding-Babies

http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb

note: don't ever prechew baby's food. this is a major source of s. mutans transmission.
    While cavity formation is multi-factorial, it is considered 'infectious'

From day 1
    while breastfeeding (for mom)
    mom should be taking high DHA fish oil as DHA is occurs in
    greater amounts than EPA in the foods humans eat.
    $5 coupon for iherb.com CIL457
    plenty of vitamin K from animal products, fermented foods, vegetables
    sufficient preformed Vitamin A from food and supplements combined (250-300 IU per day),
    or a monthly 10,000 IU dose of preformed A, or eat liver occasionally....monthly is fine.
    no cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
    too little DHA in ratio to EPA. One exception: Carlson Cod Liver oil, 1-3 tsp depending
    on Vitamin A in other supplements/foods. Factor the Vitamin D in to daily totals as well.
    A total of 2500 IU vitamin A is appropriate. Subject to change as new data emerges.
    take 1000 IU D3 per 25 lbs body weight per day on days that midday,
    summer, full body, unprotected sun exposure cannot be obtained
    At all latitudes, Vitamin D deficiency is a problem in our modern world
    unless getting midday, summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just
    before a burn occurs.
    Vitamin D Dosing, Levels and Testing information
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

while breastfeeding (for baby)
    Vitamin D drops: 400 IU per 10 lbs body weight on days that baby cannot get midday
    summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just before a burn would occur
    Do not give cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
    too little DHA in ratio to EPA
    Even modest amounts of dietary A can magnify D insufficiency and deficiency
    Countries that routinely supplement with cod liver oil have very high fracture rates among
    other problems that are likely caused by an intake of A too high in relation to D status.

Four Months
    continue breastfeeding
    continue nutritional supplements for mom
    continue vitamin D for baby

Egg and Liver Feeding
    ☐ daily: an egg yolk per day with a tsp of grated frozen liver
    ☐ important: freeze liver for 14 days prior to using
    boil egg for 3.5 minutes, open it, scrape yolk into a little dish
    use microplane grater or similar to grate 1 tsp liver into the yolk
    feed baby
    ☐ supplies cholesterol and sulphur-containing amino acids both are important
    for optimal brain development
    yolk types in order of preference
    →from pasture-fed hens (flax, insects etc insure excellent fatty acid,
    vitamin A and lutein content)

from high DHA organic free range eggs
    from organic free range eggs
    from high DHA eggs
    egg white contains proteins that are allergenic and difficult to digest
    delay feeding egg yolk until 12 months

Six Months
    continue the above and if you can handle it, add.....
    Organ Meats
    traditional cultures populations in Italy, Japan, South and Central
    America and Africa start infants on soft organ meats, typically
    liver and brain when they are available
    do what you can

Ten Months
    plain yogurt to familiarize baby with sour taste - may take many tries
    don't give in and sweeten it
    meats (boiled or stewed are best....long cooking times, low temps)
    fish (sardines or mackerel are ideal as is wild salmon)
    fruit (banana, avocado, pear, apple etc)
    vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, green beans, etc)
    fermented foods in addition to yogurt: sauerkraut etc

One Year
    whole eggs
    whole milk
    other fruits and vegetables not added at 10 months
    fish if not introduced at 10 months
    other foods listed above

General
    little amylase is produced before the end of the first year
    amylase is required for the breakdown of starches
    lactase is produced in abundance to digest lactose, the primary
    carbohydrate in breastmilk (which is also the primary macro
    nutrient)
    zinc, iron, vitamin A, vitamin D and B vitamins, and Ω3 fatty
    acids are the most important ones for cognitive development and
    should be the focus of infant feeding.
    animal foods supply zinc, iron, A, and in fatty fish, vitamin D
    is supplied as well
    infant growth is heavily dependent on calcium, phosphorus, protein

Formula Recipes
    true insufficient supply is not common, but deserves attention
    http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...antformula.php
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula2.php
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula3.php
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am already considering the challenges I will face as a parent, whenever that day may come, so Its really interesting to read the comments here. My biggest fear is The School. That cafeteria food. ohmygosh. I can pack all the lunches I want, but that doesn't mean my kid will eat it! And what if, after years of home cooked meals and healthy snacks, they just prefer to eat unhealthy? fear, worry, repeat. I guess it does no good to dwell on these things. After all, I had my fair share of unhealthy years. One thing I do plan on is involving my children in the kitchen with me, and making it fun. I want my kids to know how to cook at the very least, so they can eat Real Food and not have to rely on food products, as so many young men and women do nowadays once they leave home. (Just today I saw a girl at central market with an entire shopping cart filled with Lean Cuisines. Like, 20 of them. I felt bad for her! And I swore to myself my child will be proficient in the kitchen!)

There are somethings like oatmeal, that I don't eat anymore, but wouldn't mind feeding my child. I really don't mind eating the same things fairly often, but my child may not. And, its pretty cost effective!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast