Thread: Dr is a Paleo, can I be 90% wheat-free? page

Ranch is offline Junior Member

Dr is a Paleo, can I be 90% wheat-free?

Shop Now
    Hi. I am 45, three kids, have a small farm (grass-fed cows, chickens, fruit trees) and I've been eating a fairly healthy diet. No soda pop and very little junk food. Not enough exercise. Not overweight. Very light drinker, and for only the last two years I've been smoking about two cigs a night while relaxing in hot tub.

A month ago found out I had a really mild case of a serious medical problem that kills people if left untreated. I went through tons of anxiety but the doctors assured me it was a textbook case of early detection and it is completely gone now, but only after a surgery and a lot of followup. Lucky.

Immediately after diagnosed I went 100% organic and quit smoking, cut way back on all sweets. There is a really good health food market-deli in town with veg juice bar, etc. I've been treating my body to an excellent diet for over four weeks and I feel GREAT. Before this illness was diagnosed I would binge on a lot of chocolate bars, and things like Snickers. All of that is history.

My doctor, who is very sharp, when I started asking about diet, he told me about paleo. I've already been reading MDA off and on, so we had a good talk. He wrote a little book about it, and from what I can tell he's advocated paleo since at least 2005. The thing is, he seems to be super strict!

I went full paleo (no grains) about a week ago. But my wife is a really good baker, she makes cookies and cakes from scratch all the time.

My question is, can I go 90% paleo and still eat my wife's cakes once or twice a week?

Another question about coconut milk, if I drink all natural coconut milk every day, how many ounces is suitable?

Thank You for any feedback.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm....I guess it really depends on the condition you have. Would you mind giving more details?

Regarding the coconut milk, it can cause GI upset for some people if they take too much too soon. But other than that, I think it is fine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I guess you have to balance the risks and benefits for yourself and make your decision. One of the problems with wheat intake, as I see it, is that it appears to create cumulative damage. If wheat or grains might be at the source of your medical condition, then is it really worth it to keep taking in a substance that might be causing you harm?

I don't have any reaction to wheat as such (apart from finding it addictive and weight-gain-inducing) but the results I've seen in my father's Alzheimer's from removing it, have convinced me that I don't want to risk having damage going on in my gut and body that I don't know anything about and then paying for it at some later date. I'd rather cut it out now and give my body the chance to heal any damage that's accumulated so far so I have the best chance as a healthy second half of my life.

Considering the potential seriousness of your medical problem and if your wife likes baking, surely she would be prepared to try some primal recipes for you using an alternative type of flour - coconut, almond, etc?
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    it would be great if your wife could experiment with some of the paleo baking ingredients - a natural baker with flair like her could probably do wondrous things (that we might all benefit from if you share }
    On the other hand if everything else is clean and this is your only 'trangression' and you can limit your consumption its probably not dreadful. Specially if the fat used is butter rather than marg types.
    I cant help with the coconut milk i dont like it
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hmmm....I guess it really depends on the condition you have. Would you mind giving more details?

Regarding the coconut milk, it can cause GI upset for some people if they take too much too soon. But other than that, I think it is fine.
    Hi. Thanks for all of the responses. The medical problem I had (which is now gone) was very frightening. First I went to the internet for answers, it literally caused me to faint because the web only has horror stories. I went through weeks of anguish because of what I read "on the internet" which is a fantastic resource unless you are facing an illness that causes death. I had to listen to the highly experienced and professional medical experts dealing with my case, rather than stories online I had no knowledge of. Those who get treated and live for another 50 years are in the majority, but they don't write stories online. I am sorry to be vague on my condition. It was a form of cancer, nothing to do with my digestive system, and I just don't want to go down the road of discussing specifics. However I know that sugar and cancer are related, so even though I had a major "sweet tooth" I now don't like to touch candies and sugars.

My paleo doctor drinks pure coconut milk. I didn't get a chance to consult with him all about diet because time was running out and we'd spent an hour together already. I just wonder, why do paleos love coconut milk so much, and what is a good daily intake? I also have an organic coconut oil and I've put a teaspoon of it into my coffee on a regular basis. How about that?

I eat mostly meat and vegetables now, and a good meat meal such as grassfed beef or chicken, and I don't feel hungry for long periods of time anyway. I do feel very good now a month along into eating only super high quality food.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Not eating all that other stuff is certainly an improvement. But do you really know how much wheat products you will be getting? Do you know how much your body can tolerate?

I never drink coconut milk, though I use it to make coconut ice cream once in a while. Or a curry.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Not eating all that other stuff is certainly an improvement. But do you really know how much wheat products you will be getting? Do you know how much your body can tolerate?

I never drink coconut milk, though I use it to make coconut ice cream once in a while. Or a curry.
    Hi. Thank you for the conversation. I have not had any wheat in the last week, other than last night one slice of cake that was made with wheat flour. More like a blueberry coffee cake, no frosting. I wonder, in general, if paleo is something that is super strict or if it's possible to get benefit by cutting way back on wheat but not completely. Thanks again!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch View Post
    Hi. Thank you for the conversation. I have not had any wheat in the last week, other than last night one slice of cake that was made with wheat flour. More like a blueberry coffee cake, no frosting. I wonder, in general, if paleo is something that is super strict or if it's possible to get benefit by cutting way back on wheat but not completely. Thanks again!
    If you've decided not to give up wheat, you've decided not to give up wheat. Cutting your intake by 1/3 or 1/2 really isn't a significant difference.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Put very simply, there are two issues with eating wheat: 1) very insulin-spiking 2) damaging to the gut (therefore inflammatory, bad for the immune system)

1) Can be managed by eating much less wheat

2) Can only be managed by eating none

Re the value of trying 2), this is my view (put far better than I ever could!): There Is Another Level Above “I’m Doing Fine” - GNOLLS.ORG