Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are their any cultures that skip breakfast? page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

Are their any cultures that skip breakfast?

Shop Now
    just wondering...

janagram is offline Senior Member
    yes....I read about people of the Caucasus mountains only eating one meal a day; dinner. Though it was said they might munch on something small, in between, but it was not a meal.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast is pretty much a modern invention, and one of the best thing I have ever done is to skip eating in the AM...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have been thinking about this breakfast thing. Some experts say yes, others say no.

I have been thinking and wondering, why would there be a question, either it's yes or it's no, no gray.

Then I got to wondering and thinking, probably Grok didnt eat breakfast, but Grok was already lean and mostly just trying to survive and get through the day. He probably didnt have all the health and metabolism issues that we have now.

So I am thinking, that no breakfast is optimum. I do believe that IF till lunch is good for autophagy and all. However..... when you have other issues, like fat issues, and maybe an effed up metabolism issue, or whatever, maybe those experts that say yes to breakfast in order to jumpstart the day, maybe that is what the modern day effed up body needs?

But those who are already lean, or those who are losing just fine with good foods and have no other issues, they can thrive with no breakfast. Grok probably didnt need to jumpstart anything. He was doing good to hold onto what he had, so postponing firing up the metabolism in terms of fat loss, was optimum for him.

Just yakking. I don't know. I just know that when I ate more often, but smaller meals - like 3 meals and 2 snacks (yes CW) I lost weight. I switched to IF, and even before long I was 24-48. Many many days just eating once a day, and weight loss screeched to a halt. Sure I would lose a few pounds on multi-fasting days, but it came right back when normal eating resumed. That went on for months and months. I was just so happy to see the downs, that I didnt recognize that the ups resulted in no real progress.

Now I am back to eating breakfast again - it might be 30 minutes or it might be 2 hours when I get around to it, especially on the days that I get up round 5. But then I eat 3 small meals with 2 snacks, and basically the same foods I was eating before and not losing, now I am losing again. Might not have anything at all to do with breakfast, but it just got me to thinking.

I dont know if I am saying what I want to say. Breakfast may be something relatively new and modern, but we have new and modern fat issues that we did not use to have. Grok probably didnt need to jumpstart his metabolism. kwim?

And who says breakfast has to be a sit down with bacon, eggs & coffee. Maybe he just grabbed a big ole hunk of drumstick on the way out the cave.

I dont know. Just a thought.
    Last edited by gopintos; 06-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Even though in the aggregate these studies may have found small but significant differences, I think individual differences are probably greater. It's back to n=1 for best results.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I grew up eating a big breakfast in the summer and not much in the winter. But we lived on a farm and worked hard manual labor from morning til evening with a moderate lunch. So I think in that situation, breakfast is really a great thing. When the school year started and we were back at our desks for most of the day, I never wanted breakfast and didn't really need it.

So I'm not sure our lifestyles today demand a breakfast early in the day. At least mine doesn't.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Then I got to wondering and thinking, probably Grok didn't eat breakfast, but Grok was already lean and mostly just trying to survive and get through the day. . . .Maybe he just grabbed a big ole hunk of drumstick on the way out the cave.
    But Grokina was usually nursing, pregnant and/or taking care of little kids. She and the kids needed food. And she was gathering. No way will I believe that she didn't eat as she was gathering. Keep in mind that she had very little in the way of containers for carrying food home.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    But Grokina was usually nursing, pregnant and/or taking care of little kids. She and the kids needed food. And she was gathering. No way will I believe that she didn't eat as she was gathering. Keep in mind that she had very little in the way of containers for carrying food home.

This is true. Probably So much of what I read, on here and various places, is geared more for Grok and I have to remind myself that what is good for Grok, is not always good for (or the same for) Grokette, umm Grokina
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast was not normally eaten unless by children, frail and laborers until ~ 15th-16th century in Medieval Europe. The meal times were ~ 9-10 am (it was called 'dinner' iirc) and then at 4-6 pm, depending on the light cycle - it was considered unhealthy to eat prior to being hungry. Shortages of food + no sources of artificial light did it. As prosperity increased, the # of meals increased. When breakfast was taken, it was spare, like bread soaked in watered wine (that's seem to come from antiquity). At least that's what the Last Days of Richard the III book went on at length about (while trying to establish how Richard spent his last day). In addition, most cultures traditionally had much more strict fasting and eating limitations due to religious reasons than the Paleo/Primal community can imagine.

So, if you believe that, European cultures traditionally did not eat breakfast and fasted frequently.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-19-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Perhaps she nibbles....kind of like the warrior diet. Some nuts or berries and such through the day with 1 large meal in the evening. Makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast