Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are their any cultures that skip breakfast? page 2

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    While I can understand many of the arguments against breakfast, I have much more control over breakfast compared to lunch with coworkers. So I definitely eat breakfast. I'm not trying to lose weight and I see breakfast as a way to keep a larger percentage of my diet clean.

As far as what Grok did, I don't think most societies would have had set meal times at all. You ate when you had something to eat. In "Don't Sleep, There are Snakes", a book by a man who lived deep in the amazon with a hunter gatherer tribe, it says they fished at all hours and ate whenever they caught something.

Because different fish can be caught at different times of the day and night, Piraha men can be found out fishing at any time. A Piraha man is as likely to be found fishing at 3 a.m. as at 3 p.m. or 6 a.m. Four to sixhours per day will usually supply a family with enough protein for the twenty-four-hour period. But if there are sons in the family of sufficient age, then the males will rotate the fishing responsibilities on different days. If someone catches fish at 3 a.m., then that is when it will be
    eaten. Everyone will get up to eat as soon as it is brought in.
    I thought this was also interesting in that it conflicts with the common emphasis on a full night's sleep in most paleo circles. The Piraha seemed to feel sleeping deeply was dangerous (hence the title of the book) and just did quick naps.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Maybe its just a collage student thing but I kind of thought ours was, at least in practice. Everyone knows the CW ideal of always getting breakfast but I never knew anyone that actually got breakfast every morning. Most students I know get up just in time to roll out of bed and plop into a desk chair, then they eat after. My parents never really ate breakfast either. My dad especially; he might have a piece of dry toast, then eat nothing til dinner. Personally, breakfast foods aren't my favorite so I often skip it. Especially when school is in session.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I suppose, insofar as the paleo movement is a new culture, you could argue that we do..? Or at least, we don't place any importance on breakfast, unless you happen to be hungry.

Breakfast seems to me to be connected to organised labour cultures - your employer doesn't want you wandering off at 11am to make food, when time is money, so 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' becomes some sort of mantra. It is important - just not for the person eating it.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    An Italian student here told me her peers prefer to sleep in, slam a double espresso, then get to work.

Putting the body into digestive mode right away might work for children, laborers, and athletes. But a desk worker who needs an immediate dose of energy to function seems more like marketing than biology.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    Most students I know get up just in time to roll out of bed and plop into a desk chair, then they eat after.
    My kids, youngest son now 19, were never breakfast eaters. At least my boys. I guess my girls were though, but my boys, lean and trim and strong, seem to really only eat when hungry. Quite the concept. And it needs to be something of substance, and hours and hours and hours after starting their day. And they eat once, maybe twice a day, about 8 - 10 hours apart. Now that my daughters are grown, I do remember the oldest saying not all that long ago, that now if she eats breakfast, it just makes her hungrier all day. They don't have any weight issues. Very active. Nothing broken that needs fixing.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    Maybe its just a collage student thing but I kind of thought ours was, at least in practice. Everyone knows the CW ideal of always getting breakfast but I never knew anyone that actually got breakfast every morning. Most students I know get up just in time to roll out of bed and plop into a desk chair, then they eat after. My parents never really ate breakfast either. My dad especially; he might have a piece of dry toast, then eat nothing til dinner. Personally, breakfast foods aren't my favorite so I often skip it. Especially when school is in session.
    I would have to agree with this. I would literally get up with enough time to throw on some pants and walk to class. Morning classes were hell for me. I'd have bigger meals around lunch or dinner. Almost always pasta. Of course this was probably why I was so tired in the morning (crappy nutrition-deficient diet).

Nowadays, I will only have breakfast if I wake up early and know I have an incredibly long day ahead of me. In that case, lunch is usually lacking in quantity.
    Last edited by kathleen; 06-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have always eaten breakfast, I lived with my family throughout my BSc, and I made my own when I did MSc. And packed lunches. I don't think I have ever skipped breakfast, unless I fasted or when I started IF under Lean Gain influences. And it rarely works well. I just get hungry and tend to binge
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    thanks everybody for chiming in!

I eat breakfast every day. Not because its "healthy" or "jumpstarts your metabolism" or because my culture dictates it, but because I am outrageously hungry within 30 min of waking up.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I googled this question and couldn't find anything. I used both "breakfast" and "morning meal," in my searches.

On the days that I eat two meals instead of one, I break my fast at about 3pm and then eat a late supper at about 10pm. Probably eating so late is one of the reasons that I don't wake up hungry.

I'm guessing that technically, every culture eats breakfast because no matter when you have your first meal after you've slept, you're breaking the fast.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast