Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite non-primal cookbook? page

Primal-V is offline Member

What's your favourite non-primal cookbook?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I've just been thumbing through "the River Cottage Meat Book" by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and realised what a great book it is for Primal cooks.

He covers the ethics of meat production (why we should eat pastured meat) and then describes cuts of meat followed by some amazing (and mostly Primal) recipes. This includes making stock/broth, how to make Bacon, how to eat a woodcock's intestines and so on.

If you eat potatoes then I recommend the shepherd's pie recipe. If you don't eat potatoes then make the filling and eat it with butter-sauteed leeks and cabbage!

So my question is what is your favourite non-Primal cookbook and why?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    probably my local church cook books, but not because the recipes are good. like chicken fingers with crust made from crushed corn flakes, it's full of those kinds of recipes
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Primal-V is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    probably my local church cook books, but not because the recipes are good. like chicken fingers with crust made from crushed corn flakes, it's full of those kinds of recipes
    /facepalm

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I have a book on butchering called "MEAT" and one on how to make cured meats at home. Can't wait to deploy them!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Anything published before 1980 (I own a few) - full fat everything and all the nasty bits.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I have two ...

First, an old Mexican cookbook from the '80s when "foreign food" was still a really big deal in the UK. Second, an Icelandic cookbook from the '90s where cheesy cuisine was all the rage. Both are simple, back to basics and very much just good primal foods put on a plate.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I used to love the old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. That's where I learned that protein + can of cream of (fill in the blank) soup + starch = a meal most people find pleasant. I had an old dog-eared, stained paperback copy that lived with me in six states. I finally left it behind two years ago. But for the beginner, it's got how-to guides, substitution information, etc. It is in no way primal.

And though I don't eat like this much anymore, I love recipes like this: Stuffed Burger Bundles Recipe at Epicurious.com from the above cookbook.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I love raw foods cookbooks for finding crazy stuff to do with veggies.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Joanne's Flukes Baking Mysteries. Every single recipe in those books turned out just right and people rave.

I also do not mind the Comapny's coming cookbooks, and I live Michael Smith's Chief at Home (well, I do not have access to it for a few months now since stupid cable went digital in our city & the gym won't install it).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast