Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain fat cell insulin resistance? page

sting is offline Senior Member

Can someone explain fat cell insulin resistance?

Shop Now
    Dr. Eades wrote

Between meals when insulin levels would normally fall, allowing the liberation of fat to feed all the body’s tissues, insulin remains high in an effort to keep the liver in check. Fat can’t get out of the fat cells, and the tissues begin to starve. Even though there is plenty of stored fat, the body can’t get to it because elevated insulin is preventing its release.

Starving tissues send a message to the brain, saying ‘we’re hungry.’ The brain responds by increasing the drive to feed. We eat, and the carbs we eat are consumed by the cells for immediate energy, and insulin stimulated by the dietary carbohydrate drives the fat into the fat cells where it is trapped with the rest of the fat already there. The fat cell mass gets larger and larger, and we become obese.

The above scenario explains a lot. Why can some people eat like crazy and not get fat? Perhaps because they develop insulin resistance in their fat cells just as they do in their liver cells. They don’t get fat, but they typically have all the other insulin-driven problems of the obese: high blood pressure, elevated triglycerides, increased risk for heart disease, etc. And all while staying skinny.

How about morbid obesity? Easy. Those people don’t develop insulin resistance in their fat cells until late in the game, if ever. They continue to push fat into the fat cells and become more and more obese until they weight 400-500 pounds or even more. The average person will finally develop fat cell insulin resistance before the morbid obesity stage. When this happens, weight and level of obesity stabilize and stay the same, almost irrespective of how much is eaten.
    I don't understand this? - how i understand it is when ones blood sugar is high insulin comes in and starts clearing the pathways by depositing the excess glucose into the fat cells, i read it a few times don't get it, why is it not depositing glucose into the fat cells of skinny people? because they they develop insulin resistance in their fat cells, but if the insulin is high it has to store fat somewhere don't it? where does the excess go then if it don't go to their fat cells?

Or why don't the skinny people become insulin resistant if they are always eating sugary foods and there blood sugar is always high - meaning their insulin is working overtime?
    Last edited by sting; 06-16-2013 at 11:34 AM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    That one should be a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    I read it previously and just read it again Hmm still don't explain it though i'm combing the thread with the other i posted

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think this person who eats some huge number of calories over their metabolic rate and doesn't get fat is a myth. Until someone shows me a lockdown case study of such a person, I don't believe it. They may eat what they want because they truly have no desire beyond their metabolic rate, or they may have good manners and not call attention to what they eat so one sees them eat a large amount in public and doesn't know that their standard meals are much smaller, but they aren't magical creatures.

I think that disconnect may be the source of your confusion.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I think this person who eats some huge number of calories over their metabolic rate and doesn't get fat is a myth. Until someone shows me a lockdown case study of such a person, I don't believe it.
    Not sure what you mean? are you saying you don't believe that people can eat over the BMI and still be skinny? sorry my English is not my first language.

BMI = body mass index
    I think you meant BMR = base metabolic rate?

Yes, I think the person who eats some large amount of calories more than their metabolic rate (the amount of calories they burn) is a MYTH.

CICO (Calories In = Calories Out + fat storage) may not be an exact equation, but it's not going to be 200% in error either.

loafingcactus ok that's fine but i do know many that do, including my brother who is a soft drinks addict

He starts the day of with 2 toasted sandwich and a coffee around 800 calories he is 78kg btw so i think he should be around 1700 calories according to the BRM but lets say 2k

Than at 9.30 at work he has a snack usually some sweet muffins a can of coke probably up to 1600 calories already

Lunch he has a burger with some potatoe cakes or dims sims or something similar a coke again

2 clock drink

dinner he has whatever and snacks on chocolate and lollies all night and drinks soft drinks

Another friend will order 2500 calories in one meal for lunch at Mc Donalds and be starving by dinner and pig out plus breakfast he ways ~ 80 also.

I'm just saying

So their metabolic rate uses up those calories. A chart is just an average. An individual can deviate from that average by a lot.

I do not think fairies are flying away with those calories- carbon dioxide is (that is, normal metabolic processes).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    But their eating double the calories i just done a quick calculation using BMR and it calculated 1711 calories they are having at least double that. That means the whole BRM thing is wrong also maybe.

Anyway I'm not trying to be a know all here, i'm just asking a question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast