Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikola Tesla: Oatmeal > Meat page 13

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Come on... Millions love Heinlein.
    Most of that list is pretty general. Average folks do that stuff every day.
    And the rest can be accomplished with very little in the way of specialized sorting out... most of it just as a matter of fun hobby stuff.
    No 'credentials' necessary.
    Of course, but that response was only one of the many times PB has gone on the defensive by mentioning her credentials. It's rather obvious at times.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    You like to flaunt your credentials... often.
    Snippy, snippy. What I said was actually an attempt at reaching out to you because we share a common liking for Heinlein and I agree very much with the statement you quoted. You chose to interpret it as "flaunting" something. Excuse me for trying to find common ground with you.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-17-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ah, well that would explain a lot of things.

And who said carbs were the bane of human existence? Not me.

I rejected his OPINION as having any relevance to what I am going to do in my life. I think he didn't have as much information about the topic as we do now and might have come up with a different opinion given more facts such as those about vitamin deficiencies commonly suffered by vegetarians.
    I think you sometimes wrongly label things as opinion even when they are rooted in fact. I don't necessarily see the quote mainly as opinion, I think much of what he said can probably be proven and has been on a large anecdotal scale.

Tesla was rumored to have relieved Twain of constipation with electricity; perhaps his expertise could have also helped your epilepsy despite it not being his main focus. I would not discount his area of science as having no relation to biology. After all, life is energy.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Snippy, snippy. What I said was actually an attempt at reaching out to you because we share a common liking for Heinlein and I agree very much with the statement you quoted. You chose to interpret it as "flaunting" something. Excuse me for trying to find common ground with you.
    A thread would not be complete without a virtual cat fight. We've already met the internet's criteria for mentioning Hitler, so I believe we have covered all of our bases now: carb wars, WWII, sex, steak, vegetarianism... I suppose a round of political philosophy is on deck.

Paleobird Guest
    A thread would not be complete without a virtual cat fight. We've already met the internet's criteria for mentioning Hitler, so I believe we have covered all of our bases now: carb wars, WWII, sex, steak, vegetarianism... I suppose a round of political philosophy is on deck.
    Haven't covered libertarian philosophy or vaccinations yet........

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget circumcisions!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    I think you sometimes wrongly label things as opinion even when they are rooted in fact. I don't necessarily see the quote mainly as opinion, I think much of what he said can probably be proven and has been on a large anecdotal scale.

Tesla was rumored to have relieved Twain of constipation with electricity; perhaps his expertise could have also helped your epilepsy despite it not being his main focus. I would not discount his area of science as having no relation to biology. After all, life is energy.
    Scared the poop right out of Mark Twain! Hah!

His level of technical sophistication with electricity was pretty primitive and would not have helped an epileptic brain at all. That much of a zap would give me a seizure. Neurofeedback such as that Nora Gedgaudas practices might be able to help. That is something I would like to explore.

C'mon. Believing that one shouldn't eat meat because it is "barbarous" is a statement of opinion, not fact. But I'm sure if you want lots of admiration for your Tesla quote you could always post it on a vegetarian forum.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I grew up on a farm so that I was always intimately involved in the lives and deaths of the animals we ate.
    I did not find those practices either savagely cruel or exceedingly brutal, or primitive and uncivilized in any way.

We cared for the animals well while they lived. We dispatch them humanely.
    We lived cultured, modern, civilized lives before, during, and after our farm chores.

There is no basis for the barbarous statement.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I grew up on a farm so that I was always intimately involved in the lives and deaths of the animals we ate.
    I did not find those practices either savagely cruel or exceedingly brutal, or primitive and uncivilized in any way.

We cared for the animals well while they lived. We dispatch them humanely.
    We lived cultured, modern, civilized lives before, during, and after our farm chores.

There is no basis for the barbarous statement.
    I eat meat because it IS barbarous! Ha!

C'mon. Believing that one shouldn't eat meat because it is "barbarous" is a statement of opinion, not fact. But I'm sure if you want lots of admiration for your Tesla quote you could always post it on a vegetarian forum.
    Yes, I agree it is opinion and irrational to not eat meat for ethical reasons if you do not value nonhuman creatures in the way you might value a human being. That is a debate that rages since the dawn of time. If I define barbarous as any act of unprovoked aggression regardless of species, then obviously I am going to agree that slaughtering animals is barbaric and maybe even insulting to human intelligence to still practice such uncivilized acts of aggression. I fully admit that I am a hypocrite when it comes to my meat consumption and my principles. Unfortunately our primitive body has not evolved as quickly as our modern psyche, and right now I am selfish enough to put my needs above the life of another creature. I can't say I feel good about this. I do go out of my way to rescue ladybugs stuck on their backs. I'm sure that makes up for the hundreds of animals that die for my needs every year.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast