Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The diet of my people. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

The diet of my people.

Shop Now
    I find my body works at its best when I'm eating fish, game, tubers, roots and berries, sometimes adding other fruit, eggs, leafy greens...etc
    This is very similar to what would have been the diet Slavic populations would have eaten during the time they were 'becoming' Slavic (aka: as they were developing the traits we call "Slavic", they were eating this diet). I happen to be phenotypically Slavic (in other words, my genetics are a mix, but the genes that express themselves are the Slavic ones). The main difference for me is that over Spring and Summer I seem to want to eat any fruit, even ones that don't have a nutritional counterpart in Eastern Europe. Canteloupes, anyone?
    I started eating this way accidentally and sometimes deviate from it for financial reasons. But, since I noticed the link between Eastern European food sources and the foods that make me feel at my best, I've been aiming to keep it closer to what I want to eat, rather than just go for anything that's cheap.

For example, two meals that make me feel awesome:
    Roast game with roast tubers or roots and some berries; or fish stew with tubers, roots and butter.
    Now I've just had half a pheasant (the fat was yellow and delicious!), two potatoes, a parsnip, 50g of butter and a cup of berries. I'm feeling full, warm and happy and the energy is sinking in.

So, in what ways does your diet fit in with a geographic location/specific ethnic diet? Is this intentional, or did you just happen to start eating that way? Does it match your ancestry, or are you an Egyptian who eats the sort of foods available in North China?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I'm Bosnian/Croatian.
    Never even crossed my mind that this had any impact on what I like eating, apart from nurture. I was raised to everything so now I'm very versatile in my tastes.
    I was also raised with a constant supply of home baked bread. However, I don't function well on it today. I prefer the goods you mentioned for how they make me feel, but I have no clue if it has anything to do with my genetics and what Slavs used to eat...

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Similar to First Nations, and also me,from northern Finland in terms of 100% of my bloodline.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've always tolerated nightshades pretty well which is a good thing since tomatoes, eggplant, sweet and hot peppers, were definitely part of what I grew up on. Also cheeses, both hard and soft (ricotta), and cured meats like hard salami and prosciutto. And though we didn't eat fresh fish too often, cans of anchovies, and smoked clams/oyster/mussels were definitely around for snacks or parties. The holidays almost always had one or two squid dishes. Canned clams were used in sauces. We also ate a lot of pork, and as soon as I find a trustworthy, local source of pork, I'm sure I'll return to it. I loved the stuff and pre-primal, I probably ate as much of it as I did beef. There were always lemons, or at the very least "Real Lemon" in a bottle.

Antipasto, again mostly at the holidays or if my dad went to the city where he could go to the good delis, was cured meats, hard cheeses, olives, giardiniera, etc.

All of those things are comfort foods for me, and while I occasionally daydream about crispy baguettes, I'm pretty much over pasta.

The one thing we didn't have in our Sicilian household was oddly enough, olive oil. But that was only because it made my mother's nose itch.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I am part Han Chinese, part Manchurian...

Manchurian people never really had an agricultural culture...they were very much like the Mongolians and ate tons of meat (especially lamb/goat), some foraged berries/etc, and almost no grains until much much later (13th century? I believe? When they conquered China).

As a result, I do VERY well on a diet with mostly meat and butter. I am naturally muscular. I gain weight whenever I eat carb sources even when I'm very active (tons of weight training and slow moving). I also have a strange affinity for anything lamb (this might be also due to growing up in Uyghur-populated Urumqi as a child though).
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what my diet would look like if I ate from my heritage since they come from drastically different places: European on one side, Apache/Mexican on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I'm Bosnian/Croatian.
    Never even crossed my mind that this had any impact on what I like eating, apart from nurture. I was raised to everything so now I'm very versatile in my tastes.
    I was also raised with a constant supply of home baked bread. However, I don't function well on it today. I prefer the goods you mentioned for how they make me feel, but I have no clue if it has anything to do with my genetics and what Slavs used to eat...
    It definitely plays a part, especially if you're one of the few who come from one ethnicity or if you are phenotypically very close to one. Think about it: our skintones vary based on how much sun we got in the areas we developed, some groups have rounder faces with flatter features to avoid frostbite, some have longer limbs for running down fast prey... It's just logical that our digestive tracts would have been shaped by our environment too.
    If someone is 100% Inuit, they'll probably have smaller large intestines and larger livers as compared to someone who's 100% South Indian, making them far more adapted to a very high meat diet. I know it's an extreme example, but it gives you an idea. Being omnivores, humans' bodies vary wildly and any variation (teeth structure, intestine length, pancreas size...) will change how your body processes food, making your needs almost individual. But, due to environmental pressures, certain forms of the digestive tract will be more common in one ethnicity than another, meaning that our ancestral diets as races can have a bearing on our optimal diets as individuals.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I am part Han Chinese, part Manchurian...

Manchurian people never really had an agricultural culture...they were very much like the Mongolians and ate tons of meat (especially lamb/goat), some foraged berries/etc, and almost no grains until much much later (13th century? I believe? When they conquered China).

As a result, I do VERY well on a diet with mostly meat and butter. I am naturally muscular. I gain weight whenever I eat carb sources even when I'm very active (tons of weight training and slow moving). I also have a strange affinity for anything lamb (this might be also due to growing up in Uyghur-populated Urumqi as a child though).
    The Manchurian may explain why you don't do well on many carbs. *nods* Do you think it's the dominant line in any other way? I'd assume that being naturally muscular is from the Manchurian line, but I have known some Han Chinese to be good at developing muscle too, plus your facial features look very Han, implying your body structure may be too... Or I'm over-analyzing. I just find genetics particularly interesting.

Also, isn't it brilliant how history goes? Think about the Vikings, the Slavs, the Mongolians, the Manchurians...
    1: Eat a 'wild' diet of meat, fruit, tubers, berries, leaves, eggs and maybe dairy in varying proportions.
    2: Proceed to kick some agricultural @$$.
    3: Eat and live more and more like the agricultural societies.
    4: Proceed to become weaker and less significant as a people due to the radical diet and lifestyle change.
    5a: Return to pastoralism.
    5b: Be conquered and/or assimilated by a new group.
    The pattern shows a clear trend: if you steal land, don't eat what the original owner grew on it!
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I'm not sure what my diet would look like if I ate from my heritage since they come from drastically different places: European on one side, Apache/Mexican on the other.
    What European areas?
    Also, in what ways is your diet different from/similar to the traditional foods of either bloodline?
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I'm part Native American and I like pemmican. Does that count?

Most of us are such mixed mutts genetically that the only diet that makes sense is the one that works for you, the individual.

If you can trace yourself to "A People" and choose to eat that way, great. Most of us have multiple peoples.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast