Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The diet of my people. page 4

kiks is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    cool topic...i have been thinking about something similar recently. That we should take into consideration our immediate ancestry and its cuisine and that it may play a role in our ability to process certain foods. My family is from the mediterranean region and my parents immigrated to US so i did grow up on the mediterranean cuisine mostly during my childhood, but was exposed to the SAD significantly as well. I was one skinny kid growing up with this mixed diet but then during the teen years and into my 20s I gained weight....I guess my body (per ancestry) wasn't used to such large amounts of bread and sugars.

In the past year I have learned a lot regarding the paleo lifestyle, and did lose 30lbs just by adjusting what I ate - I increased the good fats, eliminated most bad carbs, counted my calories....I did not exercise at all and lost the weight! Looking closer, my current diet includes the good fats of olive oil and animal fats and butter, as well as vegetables and fruits and meats/fish....which is more typical of the diet of my ancestors.
    I do think it might be worth to take into consideration what our heritage is only so that we can understand why we might be able to process certain foods better than others.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm Eastern Chinese, and do best on a diet of mainly fish/crustaceans, duck, a little pork, leafy veggies, fruits, and a little bit of tubers/rice. I also benefit most from braising, stewing, gentle boil, etc. over baking and frying.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    The Manchurian may explain why you don't do well on many carbs. *nods* Do you think it's the dominant line in any other way? I'd assume that being naturally muscular is from the Manchurian line, but I have known some Han Chinese to be good at developing muscle too, plus your facial features look very Han, implying your body structure may be too... Or I'm over-analyzing. I just find genetics particularly interesting.
    Hm. I've been told I have very Manchurian features actually. I'm way taller than Han Chinese and way more muscular... 5'9", hourglass shaped, super easy to build muscle, broad shouldered, tall-nosed, double lidded eyes. I personally think I'm more Manchurian in phenotype? Who knows.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm Vietnamese and seem to do just fine on high carb. I lose weight easily on high carbs as well, but too much protein and I start gaining.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm Vietnamese and seem to do just fine on high carb. I lose weight easily on high carbs as well, but too much protein and I start gaining.
    Interesting. I am affected by this as well.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    ~100% British Isles and Ireland for many hundreds of years. (I have a very detailed record.) Before that, of course, many waves of migration there. I seem to do well on most things besides the bad grains.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    My mother came to Canada from Holland when she was 3yrs old. My dad is mostly Norwegian.
    A traditional Dutch diet has tons of veggies and fish, a little meat, and more dairy. Gotta love Gouda!
    Traditional Norwegian diet is very solar to Dutch but with game meat also, and less dairy.
    I do well on this type of diet though I not a fan of any fish, unless it is freshly caught walleye.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm Irish and German. I am severely intolerant of potatoes and have the alcohol tolerance of a 10 year old girl.

So much for my DNA
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I'm Irish and German. I am severely intolerant of potatoes and have the alcohol tolerance of a 10 year old girl.

So much for my DNA
    XD lmao!

Britt is offline Senior Member
    I'm half Dutch (Frisian), a quarter Irish-Canadian, quarter German-American-ish.

I think it was Nate Miyaki that said he uses Paleo to influence what he doesn't eat and his ancestry to influence what he does eat. I rather liked that take on it. Since my ancestry is Northern/Western European, I'm fine with dairy and have heavy cream and butter every day (and cheese once in awhile). I probably eat tubers more than I should and when I go LCHF, I feel I'm at my best.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast