Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The diet of my people. page 3

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    When they say everyone is a descendant of Charlemagne. They are including marriages. I'm related to my Mother in-law via marriage, not DNA. It's like playing 6 degrees of separation with Kevin Bacon. It doesn't mean that anyone of us share genetic material with someone else, its just that there is a connection on some level.
    That only works for one generation- your wife would be a descendant, and if you had children your children would be a descendant. The people who set up these models kinda know what they are doing. ;-)
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Don't mind me! Posted in the wrong thread - too many tabs open!
    Last edited by upupandaway; 06-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm half Slavic. My mother is mostly British. It isn't clear who I inherited my food intolerances from, but they are not known to be common in either place.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, is half-Korean and looks totally Asian. He has issues with soy and crucifers, including kimchi.

Every time I read the title of this thread I think of the sad cat diary where the cat feels compelled to sing the song of his people.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    That only works for one generation- your wife would be a descendant, and if you had children your children would be a descendant. The people who set up these models kinda know what they are doing. ;-)
    My wife is the Aunt to my sisters children, and they don't share a genetic relationship. That's what I'm getting at. A good portion of these "relations" are in marriage only. You can only go back 2000 years until everyone is related somehow. Whether that is genetic or marriage.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Well I didn't write "related" I wrote "descended." That is an odd turn. An-y-way...

EKatherine brings up another fundamental weakness of the "how you look is what you should eat" theory which is that it assumes that the genes that assigned your face shape are the same genes that assign your immune system and all of the other variables that go into how you process food. That assumption does not seem to be warranted.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My ancestry is from northern European nations close to bodies of water. I could eat fish all day every day forever and ever.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Owen is online now Senior Member
    By appearance I think I must have mainly southern European genes. This may explain my affinity for parma ham, and Barcelona FC.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Southern and Eastern Europe, so I can tolerate lactose with no problem.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 111 on sugar cheat. Currently fighting off sugar/candy cravings with bulletproof cocoa and a little rice.

I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and should tweak Primal to their own needs.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Each parent is 1/2 Norweigen, one is 1/2 English the other 1/2 Northern Germany. The English line is direct tail-male and can be easily traced back to an English knight in the 1050's. It amazes me that such a long line can be known.

Both parent ancestors migrated here early in U.S. history and were fishers, trappers, furriers, and farmers; later they were merchants. For many generation they were in Minn., where many scandinavians were. So I'd guess we have about 2-300 years of Minn. / Scandinavian diet.

I look Norweigen and love oily fish, meat of any kind, lots of cheese and milk (although I can't drink it now) and most pickled foods. I've never been fond of veggies, potatoes or bread until I visited Eastern Europe. Even though I'd lived in France for some years, the absolute best bread is in Eastern Europe. Never have I had bread like that. It's so good that if I could have it here I'd be back to eating bread in a heartbeat.

My fondest dream would be to have a Master Butcher and a Master Baker in town. Let's throw in a Master CheeseMaker.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, I'm part Native American and I like pemmican. Does that count?

Most of us are such mixed mutts genetically that the only diet that makes sense is the one that works for you, the individual.

If you can trace yourself to "A People" and choose to eat that way, great. Most of us have multiple peoples.
    Woah! Just now saw your profile pic change. Love your new haircut!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast