Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The diet of my people. page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    2 different tribes of indian and some of everything from europe, i have no idea what i'd be suited for genetically
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I'm very into genealogy, and in let's say the Occidental areas (Europe, West Asia and Asia Minor) the intermarriage of rulers and their desirability for further intermarriage pretty much has everyone related to everyone. If you look at one village or family line, there is enough diversity that I'm not sure a population analysis is going to give you the right answer- there is and was still a considerable amount of variation in a population.

I actually had genetic testing done through 23andme.com as well as additional genetic testing related to specific conditions. Obviously I can't comment about the results on a public message board too specifically, but there was one thing I would call a surprise that I now have additional ongoing screening for, the other things I already knew about or was being screened for because of family history.

ETA: Instead of a population view, specific family history can be useful.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 06-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I totally get that perhaps most people are a mixed bag of genetic material. I never thought about it much until about 10 years ago I was in Guatemala in a small Maya Quiche village school and my friend (the principal) introduced me as Indigenous from Finland, and I thought, well....yes I am. My parents, their parents, etc. into 1000s of years of history are from the north of Finland. They were hunters and gatherers, much like the Indigenous of Canada, and returning to a 21st century version of that WOE is what my body tells me is good and proper.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    This Finnish example is what I mean- I have Swedish ancestors via my royal lines and "my people" are not Swedish. It is almost statistically impossible that you are not a descendant of Charlemagne, so you have North Africa and Asia Minor in your ancestry. the Swedish Royal family tended to look east, so you likely also have Russian ancestry though I don't know the percentage likelihood of that.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    @loafing cactus:
    But phenotypes are very good indicators. If you're very mixed and look like you are, then your diet could be anything. But if you're very mixed and take strongly after a certain ethnicity, then chances are your ideal diet would be VERY close to their ancestral diet.

I know most people don't come from one ethnicity, but if you're over 7/8ths something, you'll probably be close to them in every sense and if you look like something, likewise. Some ethnicities carry very dominant traits that show, whilst some sort of blend into each other until you're not sure if your liver is from your mum's side of the family or your dad's, because your face and body are true composites.
    If you can look in the mirror (or go to someone who's practiced reading ethnicity) and say "I know I'm a mix, but I REALLY look like I'm ....." then chances are you're like them on the inside too. Hence, you'll do best on a diet like the one they evolved eating.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    A way of explaining it:
    I am British, raised by British parents and grandparents.
    I am mostly Germanic, with quite a lot of Slavic (from both parents) and some Celtic (from one parent) in me.
    I was raised in Spain, in a Spanish environment, on a Spanish diet.
    But I am phenotypically a Slav.

Regardless of where most of my genes came from, what my parents ate and what I was raised on, I naturally returned to a Slavic-esque diet when I got in tune with my body. Because, regardless of blood, culture or upbringing, my body is Slavic.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    What European areas?
    Also, in what ways is your diet different from/similar to the traditional foods of either bloodline?
    Mother's side Belgian, French Speaking, so potatoes, mussels, bread (Belgian Waffles), stewed meats. Father's side Mexican: rice, beans, corn tortillas, Apache who knows. I think the combination of the diet and and our genetics has been particularly problematic for the members of my family. Most of my brothers and sisters love baked goods especially bread and are overweight and have difficulty with blood sugar, not to mention wine, Mom's side is used to having it with meals, Dad's side it's
    like a time bomb.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I'm 85% German, apparently my traditional diet focuses on potatoes, meat, bread and beer. Could be worse, I guess.
    nihil

Aili is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Kochin;1224511]A way of explaining it:
    I am British, raised by British parents and grandparents.
    I am mostly Germanic, with quite a lot of Slavic (from both parents) and some Celtic (from one parent) in me.
    I was raised in Spain, in a Spanish environment, on a Spanish diet.
    But I am phenotypically a Slav.

I am Finnish-Canadian, raised by Finnish-Canadian parents on both sides, with a huge emphasis on traditional Finnish foods as we were raised:a lot of fish (fresh and pickled or smoked), wild game, farm foods, garden vegetables, home baking, with processed foods not even considered, other than perhaps dairy, coffee, tea and some herbs and spices. I was in the sauna first at the age of two weeks and at least weekly thereafter until I left for university. The Finnish language was constant in our lives. My Dad's father left Finland for political reasons, and his mother a few years later to be a Finnish nanny; my mother's people came to the Americas to escape poverty. My siblings and I lived a Finnish culture as young children; we ere fluently bilingual. Still today, decades later I see myself connected to the roots of language and struggle from which my family emerged. On the outside I am a middle-aged professional woman, and yet I am also from a different reality.

It is interesting to note the health of my immediate family, as the 60s and 70s brought more processed foods coupled with more sedentary 'recreation' into our lives...a downhill slide in terms of health overall in my entire family. Luckily, my siblings and I have created good changes, as have many in our extended families.

All this is so interesting to me because soon I have the good fortune of doing a writer's workshop soon with only 3 other 'writers', and with one of the 5 finalists in "Canada Reads, 2012", Richard Wagamese, at his home. My interest is in the history of my paternal grandmother whom I never knew, and about whom little is known. That interest is coupled with the Kalevala, the epic poem of mythical figures fused with history, and the Rune singers that have kept and added to the now 12,000 lines and sung them over the centuries.

As a primal and often paleo eater for 2 + year now, I find it real interesting that people are considering this area. ethnicity, and how that connects with what we ingest. It reminded me of what a Cree Elder William Ermine once told us, that our bodies change all the time, cells replacing cells, affected by what we do to those cells. He went on to say that we come from the ground. And that if we eat only local, unprocessed food, after a while, our bodies could be said to come from that local ground, or be Indigenous to it. It rather makes sense to me, yet it is so much more complex, especially when human values enter the picture.
    Last edited by Aili; 06-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    This Finnish example is what I mean- I have Swedish ancestors via my royal lines and "my people" are not Swedish. It is almost statistically impossible that you are not a descendant of Charlemagne, so you have North Africa and Asia Minor in your ancestry. the Swedish Royal family tended to look east, so you likely also have Russian ancestry though I don't know the percentage likelihood of that.
    When they say everyone is a descendant of Charlemagne. They are including marriages. I'm related to my Mother in-law via marriage, not DNA. It's like playing 6 degrees of separation with Kevin Bacon. It doesn't mean that anyone of us share genetic material with someone else, its just that there is a connection on some level.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast