Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Mecca to Middle Eastern Foods. page 4

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I recently completed a 50 mile run, which involved a bit of a carb load over the days before. It was an Armenian specialty called 'Garmir Pilav', or 'red rice..' Yes it's grains, but it's about as offensive as a basket full of kittens.. Get 'red-y' (So sorry..):
    -Basmati Rice
    -Tomato Puree
    -Ghee
    At it's simplest, just boil rice, mix the ghee in, and add puree near the end and simmer to allow the rice to absorb it whilst getting rid of excess water. At it's most complex, proper rice or 'chelow' can take some time, multiple pans, and elaborate pan flipping.. I'll post how if enough people want to know
    The puree makes the rice so much more enjoyable than just the bland plain white. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt or one of the 'mast-o-..' I posted before. Yum

My posts are too long, so here's a short n sweet one: Baba Ghanoush/Mutabal whatever.. Easy as beating a dead dog:
    -Aubergine
    -Tahini
    -Garlic+Onion
    -Cumin
    -Lemon juice
    -Olive oil

1. Grill (I fry.. Each to their own) Aubergine
    2. Once golden, set aside. Next, fry onions and garlic in existing oil.
    3. Add in the cumin and continue to stir till it shouts 'that's enough!'
    4. Combine everything in a food processor, lemon juice, tahini and all, blend, and serve..

If grilling make sure you put holes in the aubergine.. Failure to do so will render it explosive. Khodar Hafez

Any recipes out there?

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I am an unabashed fan of Persian food, and kebabs in particular.

Oddly there aren't any establishments in Manchester but there is a road in nearby Bolton with many, and a very good Persian restaurant in the town centre.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Quote Originally Posted by Rip @ MIPWID View Post
    I am an unabashed fan of Persian food, and kebabs in particular.

Oddly there aren't any establishments in Manchester but there is a road in nearby Bolton with many, and a very good Persian restaurant in the town centre.
    I'm quietly confident, although having not been there myself, that the 'curry mile' has Arabic/Iranian/Russian/Armenian restaurants scattered in amongst the curry houses, according to my cousin who went to uni there :P

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I thought brick lane in london was called the curry mile . As it has 100s of South Indian / Bangladesh restaurants i

From London England UK

Konichiwa!

Recently I made a stew. One consisting of pre-packed 'Ghorma Sabzi' spice mix, a combo of fenugreek, lime, coriander amongst others, but with an addition whilst I'd known, typically never did for whatever.. That was the inclusion of dried fruit, such as prunes or dates, into the stew. Not a secret by any means, but often forgotton by the pot-roast community.
    It worked. Well. The mixed sweet n sour along with the squishy mouthfeel made this stew pretty sexy.
    Some veg i used were carrots, shrooms, broccoli, and most other harder vegetables. Did it in the morning, added stock as well for banter, let it sit in my aga bottom oven all day.

Smashing. Try it. (I mean the dried fruit stew, not random destruction)

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hey, i've lived in 3 countries in the middle east! most stuff is good, so long as there's no wheat. persians cook with grapeseed oil, but arabs and israelis use olive oil, which really makes things easy. my favorite dish is mansaf, but that's really, really hard to make in the states.

so instead, stick with shakshuka (and some improvising is quite alright!):

in a skillet, combine a couple tbsp olive oil with 6-8 diced tomatoes, depending on size. you want to sautee them into a mushy tomato sauce!

season with cumin, coriander, cinnamon and garlic to your taste. i always stir in diced anchovy, though that's not traditional.

once the sauce looks like, well, tomato sauce, crack 4-6 eggs into it so that they float, whole, on the top. reduce heat and cover, so that the eggs poach.

serve it up!
    I love a good shakshuka. What I have been doing recently is adding diced eggplant to the tomato sauce and then topping it with sausage (usually something spicy) and blue cheese. Traditional? Nope. Awesome? Yes.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I love a good shakshuka. What I have been doing recently is adding diced eggplant to the tomato sauce and then topping it with sausage (usually something spicy) and blue cheese. Traditional? Nope. Awesome? Yes.
    Shaksuka is the best. Especially as the weather gets colder and I want hearty comfort-y meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    This next one comes from the Holy Land, in the form of street vendor food: The Sweet Potato Falafel.. .
    Chickpea free falafel, definitely going to have to try this....
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I thought shaksuka is a cheese or is it a chanklish?

From London England UK

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast