Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Mecca to Middle Eastern Foods. page 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hey, i've lived in 3 countries in the middle east! most stuff is good, so long as there's no wheat. persians cook with grapeseed oil, but arabs and israelis use olive oil, which really makes things easy. my favorite dish is mansaf, but that's really, really hard to make in the states.

so instead, stick with shakshuka (and some improvising is quite alright!):

in a skillet, combine a couple tbsp olive oil with 6-8 diced tomatoes, depending on size. you want to sautee them into a mushy tomato sauce!

season with cumin, coriander, cinnamon and garlic to your taste. i always stir in diced anchovy, though that's not traditional.

once the sauce looks like, well, tomato sauce, crack 4-6 eggs into it so that they float, whole, on the top. reduce heat and cover, so that the eggs poach.

serve it up!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I would love to see some lamb recipes if you have them to share
    Yes, please.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    We call Dolma "Waraq Dawali" and it's delicious! I always feared having it without rice but might try it with just meat. It's hard to find raw grape leaves around here, though. Where do you find yours?
    We make a pilgrimage up to London, more specifically Hounslow. I'm sure failing that, seeing as you live in London, Whole Foods Market High st Kensington should have it.. they have everything! haha

Adrian is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday I've tried to make Dolma! Great recipe, it was very tasty meal Whole my family enjoyed it.. Thank you for this wonderful recipe, I'm waiting for more

It's that time again, this is a lamb dish commonly eaten and served in almost all chelokebab restaurants called Kebab-e-Barg. It's a lamb kebab marinated overnight and then skewered till edible. It's an awsome BBQ food, although nothing's stopping you from putting on your sunday best and going posh. If you don't like this dish, then ME foods aren't for you ..

You will need (serves 4):
    -800 grams boneless lamb
    -1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    -1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    -2 large grated onions
    -1 clove of garlic (crushed)
    -4 medium tomatos
    -1/2 teaspoon saffron
    -1 teaspoon salt
    -1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    -1 tablespoon sumac (optional)

Combine all ingredients, minus the tomatoes and sumac, in to a bowl, cut strips of lamb as big or small as you like. Obviously this will effect cooking time. Leave overnight for best results.
    On the day, thread your lamb pieces on skewers and your tomatoes on separate ones. Place in the oven, or on the grill, and turn occasionally till done. It won't take long, depending on your strips, about 5-8 minutes. (Lamb is terrible over cooked so if in doubt, assume it's done.) Sprinkle with Sumac to taste.
    Usually, this is a 'chelowkebab' meaning 'rice and kebab' but for the sake of primality, omit the rice and serve with a salad, or vegetables.

NB on Saffron: When I say half a teaspoon, thats half a teaspoon of leaves, then combined with hot water and left to brew like tea, and not saffron leaves put straight in the marinade.

NBB (or NNB? Second note): Sumac is a very strong, deep crimson spice made from the dried and ground berry of the sumac plant, and has a tangy taste that goes with kebabs like.. 2 things that go well together..? Word on the bazaar is that Armenian Sumac is the best.

NBBB (This is rediculous..) I personally put more garlic in.. NEVER too much garlic!

Have a good weekend!

mike is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenry - Thanks for posting the recipes! I just bookmarked this thread. I just happen to have two nice eggplants (Aubergine) sitting here that I cooked over the fire today so this evening I will make 'Mirza Ghassemi'. I'm afraid I don't know how to pronounce it though so if you post and audio file I would love to be schooled. I guess the 'gh' is pronounced like the spanish 'g' - from the back of the throat (phlegmy)...

Grok on.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know how to pronounce it though so if you post and audio file I would love to be schooled. I guess the 'gh' is pronounced like the spanish 'g' - from the back of the throat (phlegmy)...
    Yes it is, you know you've said it right when a: your tonsils fly out, or b: the other person has been convered in saliva. If I knew how to an audio file, and more people feel it neccessary, I could..

mike is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenry - Here is a photo my version of Mirza Ghassemi (once the attachment is approved by the moderators):

Mirza Ghassemi.jpg

I hope it was close to the authentic dish. It got a thumbs up from my wife so I guess I will prepare it again.

Grok on

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post

I hope it was close to the authentic dish. It got a thumbs up from my wife so I guess I will prepare it again.

Mike
    Doesn't look too far off! Glad you enjoyed

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    yum, these recipes are great - keep them coming!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast