Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doing a Flip at 30+? page 4

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well on my way. I've been really busy, but consistent in hitting an over-rotation back flip without bounce on the backyard trampoline (so that I land and roll backward). Just gonna find a suitable and stable rock thats got a foot or so of height to do a "ground" flip before going to actual ground again. Maybe I'll get my son to video it on the Ipod. Ya know a matt or something softer than clay dirt on the ground would make the whole ground part a lot more palatable.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Maybe an old mattress. Or two.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, just one thing to be aware of is that when you're flipping onto a lower surface you will really have to fight your instinct to jump backwards instead of straight up. Your body wants to go backwards to "make it" onto whatever you're landing on. In reality you only need to travel backwards an inch or two, so if you're landing far away from your takeoff spot you're leaning back too much.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Gonna hit it when I get home this evening. I've done probably 50 reps on the trampoline over the past week just to make the movement automatic when I get back on ground.

So before doing the ground bit here are a couple of points on my training... and I did read Anthony's tutorial (thanks!), so in all here are my particular cues during the movement:

1. REACH high
    2. SNAP the legs up (visualizing that video ekatherine linked). The very first drill where he jumps then rolls backward on the matt. I try to think of getting up and rolling back hard as if there is a matt up there at shoulder height.
    3. TUCK. I have a tendency to not bring the legs in tight enough.

Those are the three cues. To get over the "fear" its been all about repetition. I'm confident that when I go to ground I'm not gonna hesitate now.

Oh, also on the trampoline I've been practicing to over-rotate with a less than max jump. So when I land it I go into a back roll. Hopefully this will negate the fact that I'm still getting a bit of spring from the trampoline.

Let ya all know how it turns out a bit later!

OK, nailed one!

Couple of caveats. Used my son's old toddler mattress to jump and land on. Those of you that have kids know that these things are rather thin and don't have springs so fairly legit. No bounce just jumped and hit it. Still I'm not going to say I can do a full blown back flip till I land one on hard surface. May hit a few more on this mattress first..... ground is hard and somebody still gotta go to work the next day

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I was really into gymnastics/flipping around bars and the house before getting married and having kids. I am adding this to my list of things to do again.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    OK, nailed one!

Couple of caveats. Used my son's old toddler mattress to jump and land on. Those of you that have kids know that these things are rather thin and don't have springs so fairly legit. No bounce just jumped and hit it. Still I'm not going to say I can do a full blown back flip till I land one on hard surface. May hit a few more on this mattress first..... ground is hard and somebody still gotta go to work the next day
    Nice work, Neck! I want some video! Not for proof or anything, just as celebration.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

No problemo! I'll get one set up this weekend hopefully. I'll post it here...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234