Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Grok Couldn't Smell...Like Me... page

azerious85 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy If Grok Couldn't Smell...Like Me...

Primal Fuel
    Have you ever come home after school and could smell your mother’s fresh cookies being made in the kitchen?
    Do you remember what grandpa or grandma smells like?
    Enjoy sudden memory flashbacks after smelling something?
    Have you ever walked by a stinky gym locker and wrinkled your nose in disgust? Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night to the scent of smoke, only to discover that your home was on fire?
    How about your own armpits or breath?

I answer NO to all these questions. I have Congenital Anosmia. I grew up thinking i was completely normal, and figured I'd "grow" into my sense of smell or, figured "this is what things really smelt like". Everyone I tell this too laughs and tells me "I'm Lucky" because all of the bad smells out there . But they forget That I also cannot smell:

Fire
    Smoke
    Predators
    Body Odor
    Gas
    Chemicals
    People (particularly significant others and children)
    Spoiled meat/food
    Bacon cooking
    Cookies
    Rain
    Sea Air
    Grass
    etc,etc,etc

Not only that, but I'm certain my taste is MASSIVELY affected as well. I can not tell the difference between flavors of skittles/jelly beans/coffee/chicken and turkey/starburst etc. I Almost always get asked this question about taste by the way. But remember i have nothing to compare taste or lack of smell to. This is kind of the first time I've ever really talked about it I guess. I have been thinking about it alot today. Honestly im starting to officially, for the first time,feel "left out" especially when it comes to living primal. I've never smelt anything before, period. I actually did not "discover" this until I was about 14 years old. What was the "light bulb" for me was whenever i would stay over at a friends house we would wake up and he would know EXACTLY what his mom was cooking. And he was always right Everyone thought i was joking or trying to get attention growing up and never took me serious.

I've tried to get this diagnosed and treated but there is no treatment. Most doctors shrug and say "All is fine, be happy it's not sight, or hearing". Or "the parts are there but just not working". This is unacceptable and frankly sucks. After researching I have found ALOT of people have this "disease". I'm now 27 and married with two daughters and have read it CAN be passed onto kids sometimes. Which somewhat worries me.

Anyways i was just curious How Grok would have made it without this often take for granted sense, and if there are any other members that have a similar or same affliction. Also feel free to answer any questions you might have. If anything i can help bring some awareness to this condition.

Also i can officially wear this if I wanted hahaha
    Last edited by azerious85; 06-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Primal Since May 2011

Starting Weight: 232lb
    Current Weight: 170lb

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I did have a period of time when, following a bout with bronchitis, I lost my sense of smell for a couple of months. I knew things were tasting funny, but I didn't realize what had happened until I found I was unable to smell or taste mint. So if you want to see if your daughters are affected, I suggest letting them sniff oil of peppermint to see if they can detect the aroma.

I might try that. One thing with your condition and also common with EX-Zicam users is that unlike acquired anosmia, which occurs due to head injury or upper respiratory issues like you had, there are no reference points for smell for the congenital anosmic, no Proustian memories to resurrect for me. Everything is different. I know someone who lost their sense of smell that thinks pizza and oatmeal taste the same. To me, not at all they each have their own taste but thats' about as far as it goes. I wonder if it has something to do with their subjective experience with the previous reference point of that taste/smell
    Primal Since May 2011

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Serious question: do smelling salts have any effect at all on you?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Serious question: do smelling salts have any effect at all on you?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Ammonia response is usually due to different receptors AND smell. However...

No

Playing high school football, i totally feared if i got knocked out they would call 911 and start CPR because i wouldn't "wake up" for smelly salts hahaha
    Last edited by azerious85; 06-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Primal Since May 2011

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Wow.

How long have you been Primal? I'm curious if eating this way might start changing things a bit. Not magically granting you a sense of smell or anything, but perhaps making you realize a bit more nuance or something.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

thomas is offline Junior Member
    Anosmia was one of the symtoms used to diagnose the genitic disorder that I was born with. When i was younger it was kind of a cool conversation starter, but the older I get the more often I wonder what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Wow.

How long have you been Primal? I'm curious if eating this way might start changing things a bit. Not magically granting you a sense of smell or anything, but perhaps making you realize a bit more nuance or something.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

started in 2011, fell off BIG TIME with the birth of our second daughter (atrocious colic) but now back on. Will do a min. 1 year this time. Would be nice if I could see some benefit
    Primal Since May 2011

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    If Grok couldn't smell it would have been a serious handicap. Modern cultures tend to dismiss the sense of smell as unnecessary but I believe Grok would have relied on it as much as most mammals do. When I had my son my midwife told me not to use any scented soaps or lotions because newborns rely heavily on their sense of smell to orient themselves to the mother's breast and to connect with the mom. As a baby grows it comes to depend more on sight and touch, I wonder how much we've lost not developing our sense of smell.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    If Grok couldn't smell it would have been a serious handicap. Modern cultures tend to dismiss the sense of smell as unnecessary but I believe Grok would have relied on it as much as most mammals do. When I had my son my midwife told me not to use any scented soaps or lotions because newborns rely heavily on their sense of smell to orient themselves to the mother's breast and to connect with the mom. As a baby grows it comes to depend more on sight and touch, I wonder how much we've lost not developing our sense of smell.
    Even though they are teens now, clean living has my girls still smelling good naturally. And I DO still smell them, individually, and recognize them as my own. My oldest just told me yday how I smell "like Mommy" (she is not afraid to say stuff like this), and it isn't the first time. And we all know "Daddy smell" - hubby actually smells good, and just like, well, Daddy.

But this house is preoccupied with smells - I have always loved spices, and essential oils, and my girls just never unlearned smelling stuff as scent is a powerful sense for me. I love perfumes, but am seriously picky about what pleases me, and my perfume tray is a coveted thing to gain access to in this house as I do not allow/bring artificial scents via cleaning supplies/air fresheners in here, or allow mass-market toiletries onto my kids' skin, so to have a concentrated source of a smell outside of the garden or spice rack is something special here.

Right now it is raining here in the country, and I love the smell of spring/summer rain.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast