Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Grok Couldn't Smell...Like Me... page 2

azerious85 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    It's good that i do not know what i'm missing, but at the same time sucks going through life knowing your in fact missing out on something HUGE. It's good i live with my wife and kids, if i was alone i actually would probably be paranoid (smoke,gas,etc,etc). However, as absurd as it sounds, researching people that have this I have heard some of them get service dogs that alert them to dangerous smells??? Not sure i'd ever feel good about using that service, but i do love dogs hahaha

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    My sister in law has this same thing and has never smelled anything her whole life. She can taste food, but I don't know how well. One of the bad things is that she has a cat that has sprayed her whole house and it makes your eyes water and nose burn when you walk in. She has no clue and no one wants to say anything.

momrn is offline Member
    When I was a teen, I babysat for a lady with this condition. She was bad about leaving laundry to sour in the washer and then drying it. She just never noticed it, so I did a lot of rewashing for her.

I have an overly sensitive nose. It drives my family a little batty because I have to source out anything stinky and deal with it.

That's a real loss. There are so many more lovely things to smell than awful. Gardenias are blooming now.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    My sister in law has this same thing and has never smelled anything her whole life. She can taste food, but I don't know how well.
    When I lost my sense of smell I found I was no longer to taste anything herbal. Most seasonings and flavorings may as well not even have been there. I was able to taste the spiciness of both black and red pepper. For a couple of months everything was seasoned with those. And I used plenty of fat for the mouth feel. My daughter later said that my cooking at the time was "weird".

azerious85 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    My sister in law has this same thing and has never smelled anything her whole life. She can taste food, but I don't know how well. One of the bad things is that she has a cat that has sprayed her whole house and it makes your eyes water and nose burn when you walk in. She has no clue and no one wants to say anything.
    PLEASE tell her. I HIGHLY doubt she will not get offended. If anything its more humiliating and embarrassing for her to NOT tell her.

I tell everyone i know that if I stink or otherwise TELL ME! The thought of me rolling around smelling like sweaty hamster is far worse than a "courtesy" of telling me beforehand. Kind of like a nice "Hey Dude, You got a booger in your nose."
    Last edited by azerious85; 06-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how much we've lost not developing our sense of smell.
    There is a theory that says we have actually GAINED with the loss of smell. Read it in a book about dogs' communication but can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it says its not possible to have simultaneuosly a good sense of smell and a mouth that is capable of speech, just has to be divided one or the other. So we had that very first pact of cooperation where the dogs took upon them the smelling and humans could develop speaking, communicating, eventually developing culture, science, etc. That also explains why we have that instinct that we need a dog. Without a dog we are not humans, just could not become. However small and impractical. But then on the other hand, if you don't have to hunt a mammoth, then a chivava or Yorkshire terrier can just as well warn you about strange and possibly dangerous smells in the house. Its all about training them.

And to answer your initial question: my mom, a human, can smell where we, her family, have walked, she can follow the trail of smell. And please, we don't stink Strangers - no. Now when I get older, sometimes I can smell things almost as well as she can. But I always was able to wake up at night from smell of fire, smoke (even neigbours smoking weed at night), burning rubber, electric insulation, etc. Then I run around sniffing to find the source. Proved useful, if not always saving lives, quite often saving some property. Or can smell a little mould on an apple in the trash, I mean, just walking by the kitchen. And sure I can smell where my kids have been and what they have done. No secret smoking or anything.
    Last edited by SeaHorse; 06-21-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12