Thread: Making soup out of top round page

EMonger is offline Member

Making soup out of top round

I've been looking for ideas to season & cook a top round roast. It's very lean, too lean, really. In my search, I found some site, since lost, where a lady said she puts top round in the slow cooker on a bed of vegetables and puts it on low for 24 hours. When she lifts the lid, it's apparently soup. I focused on that one because many others said they ruined top round in the slow cooker.
    What has been everybody's results with top round in the slow cooker? How did you season it? Has anyone made soup the way she suggested? I have potatoes, carrots, celery, & onion waiting, and garlic, too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Top round would make great jerky. If you were to slice it into 1" thick steaks, you could cook it rare, so at least it wouldn't dry out and get hard.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think it's sometimes used in pho. Sliced thin and added just before eating so that it stays somewhat rare.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Top round is lean and should be cooked as a whole roast not past med-rare IMO.

Season liberally and it can turn out nicely that way.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Top round is lean and should be cooked as a whole roast not past med-rare IMO.
    Season liberally and it can turn out nicely that way.
    Same thing goes for bottom round cuts. One time I tried grilling some bottom round steaks (was all I had and I really wanted a grilled steak) and kept a good eye on them. They still dried out.

Paleobird Guest
    I do top round as a slow cooker roast with some onions, garlic, mushrooms and red wine.
    When I get bored eating it by the slice I dice it up and put it in a skillet and make curry out of the leftovers. (add some fat, coconut milk and curry seasonings and stir. Really very easy.)

EMonger is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ah, mushrooms...I should have gotten them, too. So what seasonings would be good for the carrots/onions/celery/potatoes route, and how long should I cook it on either setting? I think it's a 3 lb-er.

--

What would Andy Taylor do?