Thread: Barbell SS program page

umm7 is offline Senior Member

Barbell SS program

Primal Fuel
    The first couple time I did this routine I was sore, especially my thighs! But now not at all. Does that mean I should add more weight (mire than the recommended amounts each workout)?I read that soreness doesn't necessarily reflect if you are getting stronger but it seems weird to.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you are doing starting strength, just follow the program. The weights will get really heavy soon enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Just keep adding the normal amount of weight. Lack of soreness means that your body is better adapted to the lifts than when you first started. As long as you're adding weight to the bar, the program is doing its job.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Kinnell is offline Member
    That's pretty normal in my experience. Just enjoy the fact that you're rapidly getting stronger and not suffering from the process The only reason to increase the weight increments is if you're finding the actual lifts too easy, but that's unlikely to be the case except maybe when you've just started. Best to stick with the program.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I'm very new to lifting, a month or two off and on as in lifting like 4-5 times before this past week. This past week I started SS so I thought I would be in pain,

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Pain is a poor measure of workout effectiveness. If you are following Starting Strength then you are doing 3 sets of 5 at your work weight. This low rep, high weight scheme results in less soreness than more reps at lower weights. Even 3 sets of 8 will produce more soreness usually than 3 sets of 5 even though the weight you can do 5 reps is going to be heavier than the weight you can do for 8.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2