Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dilberryhoundog's whole 30 eating protocol page

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb dilberryhoundog's whole 30 eating protocol

Primal Fuel
    Ok I have had a few requests to make a brand new thread, discussing a fresh new eating protocol I have formulated. Here it is.

The ideal way to try this protocol would be to follow it while doing one of Mark's primal whole 30 challenges, it will also work just as well incorporated into your normal diet.
    It will be set out thus... I'll jump right in and outline the protocol, the next post will explain in detail why this protocol works, then I will give my experience eating this way. Ready, set, go

dilberryhoundog's whole thirty:

Try this for a month:
    Eat the food you normally would (primal foods) and at the amount you normally would (don't restrict or force) unless otherwise instructed.

Week 1
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a 12hr - 18hr fast, also reducing your calories on this day by somewhere around half
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in only 2 meals
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat for the whole day
    *Have a greens & yellows day, eat predominately Veggie's and fruit for the day
    *Have a carb day, eating a somewhat higher level of primal carbs for the day, eg potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice.
    *Eat normally for the other 2 days

Week 2
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a fast where you skip breakfast (if you normally skip breakfast, skip lunch then also), this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a fast where you skip dinner, this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in 4 - 6 small meals and/or snacks.
    *Have a dairy day, eat more than normal dairy on this day (If your lactose intolerant, do a veggie + carb day)
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat on this day
    *Eat normally for the other 2 days

Week 3
    Follow the same protocol as week 1

Week 4
    Follow the same protocol as week 2
    *Treat yourself to a block of 80% chocolate if you wish, if you've made it this far and done well

A few notes
    *If you drink coffee or tea daily, skip them for a few days in the week.
    *If you normally eat all your food in a couple of big meals try grazing for a few days a week.
    *If you skip a meal daily (usually breakfast) then reverse that a few times a week.
    *Eat the biggest range of primal foods you can (nuts, dairy, eggs, in moderation foods etc etc)
    *You don't have to do all the daily challenges, if one of them is really difficult (say you have an allergic reaction to some fruits) just skip it and try some other way to vary your diet or just eat normally an extra day.

Congratulations you have made it a whole 30 days. The protocol might of sounded complicated and restrictive at the start but it got quite easy at the end didn't it? it almost just comes naturally I would say. So where to now?

keep doing it, but just mix it up how you like, drop some challenges off the list, add some challenges, change it up.
    Hope I have helped you
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

This protocol is all about restoring your metabolism, It is about getting the full use of ALL your metabolic tools. Hopefully it will further your understanding of both the protocol and how your body functions. Here goes.....

Basically everything on this planet exists on a fragility scale. For all of history an object/thing (including organisms) existed on the fragility scale some where between extremely fragile to very robust, regarding any particular stress. Also existing on this planet for all of history (according to an object/thing) is a stressor. A stressor might be an earthquake, the sun, a food stuff, a load, the wind, another object, a fall, a transfer of energy, a change in stock price, get my drift?
    So if we have a bit of a look at stress in the eye's of an object, we can see stress taking one of three forms... A Stressor could be "destructive" if it is too acute/strong for the object to handle, the object then breaks and is said to be fragile to that stress.
    A stressor could be "chronic" in that an object has to deal with the stressor for too long, it starts out robust then ends up fragile to the stress (think metal fatigue).
    Finally a stressor can be "absorbed" with the object still as it was before the stressor came, the object is said to be robust to this stress.

The above has been common human knowledge for eons....

Until last year when a certain Nassim Taleb (an ex options trader on the NYSE) released a book, based on his forming of a new word called antifragile. Something that is antifragile actually gains from absorbable stressors. It turns out that most life on this planet has this ability. Here's an example of how this came about and why it is.... an organism senses a stressor incoming, it gathers all its tools it has evolved to absorb this stressor and pits them against the stressor, If the organism comes out the other side still intact, it high fives and congratulates it self cause it is robust to that stress, but the organism isn't out of the woods yet... what if next time the stressor comes a little stronger? well the organism reacts to the stressor it dealt with now and strengthens the tools it used to beat the stress so that next time it might be successful as well. this is the reason why; our immune system works so well, our skin goes brown in the sun, our muscles get bigger when we lift a weight, we can run further then we did last time, we are afraid of the things we have always been afraid of (the tool worked), you get my drift.

So a stressor causes a response in an organism, stressors are information your body uses to reconfigure it self. There is also another factor that needs to be considered, In the absence of stress our bodies atrophy their systems (don't need big strong tools sittin round taking up resources if we don't need to use them). In short, organisms need stressors to live, to configure their physical forms.
    The only trouble with this antifragility system arises when the stressor that comes is "destructive" or "chronic". when this happens we are even more awesome than I described above, our bodies can heal themselves (think broken arm from a tree fall) even if a stressor was destructive, although this is not a permanent solution.

lets summarize my points so far:
    *Stressors come as either absorbable, destructive or chronic.
    *Lack of stressors is harmful.
    *Stressors can cause us to be fragile and break, they can also cause us to get stronger and grow.
    *Our bodies can heal the damage caused by destructive stressors, though over time we will eventually fail at healing.

Ok this is where we get back to the concerns of MDA readers.
    Food = Stressor.
    Mark Sisson has done a great job of reducing the stressors our bodies face coming down their gullets on a daily basis (by introducing his primal food list), particularly destructive stressors... PUFA's, free radicals, heavy metals, BPA's, preservatives, anti-nutrients (from grains, legumes) and many more all destroy our bodies on a daily basis, which we have to (awesomely) repair on a daily basis (think high cholesterol, inflammation etc etc), thanks mark

So as MDA readers we have really only greatly reduced destructive stressors in our diet, we are still subject to lack of stressors and to chronic stressors. This is where we get to our metabolisms, If you follow any number of the CW eating protocols trumpeted in this forum, like daily Reduced calorie, daily specific macro percentages, daily low and very low carb, you very much expose your self to both chronic stress and lack of stress, both causing metabolic problems.

Where my protocol steps in to help is thus; It gives your metabolism a specific stressor that it has to use specific tools to deal with, then it gives your metabolism a rest from using those tools, so that it may get a chance to make those tools stronger (hence antifragility)(this is the same concept as building muscle), this greatly reduces the chronic stress faced by your body. Also by providing your metabolism every stressor it has the tools to deal with, it stops the atrophy of organ function and body systems that result from a lack of particular stressors.

So the basic premise of my protocol is to:
    *eat foods off marks primal food list to reduce the destructive stressors going down ya gullet.
    *eat those foods under varied conditions so that they don't start becoming a chronic stressor.
    *make sure all the dietary conditions our bodies evolved to deal with are present, so that the body shan't suffer from lack of stressors.

If all these are present in your eating philosophy, after a short while your body will magically configure it self to what is it's ideal configuration. Your metabolism will be fully online, it will not require your (conscious) input to self sustain these ideal conditions (ie you won't have to count calories). If you have specific problems with your "tools" (eg a thyroid problem) it may take you longer, with harder work (more conscious effort) to achieve ideal configuration, but it is possible. Many people have walked despite doctors telling them they will never walk. how did they do it? They unknowingly used our bodies "antifragility" to slowly increase their legs ability to overcome specific stressors, I imagine the same would apply to our organs / metabolism.

Any questions?
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 06-15-2013 at 08:42 AM.

So here is the results of my personal experimentation to the above protocol (and other variations of it over time)

I had an eating disorder (binge eating) before my primal journey kicked off last year (still do to an extent), anyway this protocol worked extremely well for me as I lost 70 pounds in four months, I was adding muscle in the last few months too, so probably lost like 80lbs of fat (thats 20lbs a month).
    For the gals, here's my wife results.... She also lost 40 lbs in 4 months whilst breastfeeding (hormones raging) and did almost ZERO fitness apart from daily mothering movements and a half hour walk once a week or twice a week.

We both feel great and would probably say we are in the best health of our lives, our kids love it too. Recently we have been forgetting that we are even on a diet, our lives are fairly varied and our diet just seems to follow along (the dietary variations move with the variations in our life)

IMG_1174.PNG
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 06-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    So when is your website going up? When is your book coming out?

I tried to get my boyfriend to program a diet randomization calculator, but he wasn't getting into the concept like I have.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, I find this very interesting. I am going to try and do something along those lines for myself, not to lose weight but to try and strengthen my immune system. I seem to be becoming allergic to everything and am worried about it happening more due to eating the same foods every day. This would give my system the needed shake up. Doing the exercise mix up would be good too to add to the mix. (although just starting would be a good start for me LOL)
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I dig the robustness angle. I agree that there's an important distinction between accommodating an ailment and treating it.

I actually do a lot of those gimmick days accidentally. It took a while but I think I've learned how to scratch my itches with the appropriate dose and compensatory adjustments. I don't want to use the "listen to body" cliché but it's plain that our requirements are not the same every day so maybe a pharmaceutical level of macrat precision is not ideal.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    IOW, it's only convenience that keeps most of us eating the same danged crap day in and day out. Shake it up. Be creative. Grok didn't eat the same thing every day, and neither should we except for a specific reason or ailment.

But the same thing goes with other things also. Lots of sun some days with shade or indoors other = healthy. Lots of sun every day might not be that great in the long run, and shut-ins probably get the blues. High power job that makes you feel like Queen of the World - great. But if you never put it down, they might find you slumped over your desk at 55. Same thing with exercise.

IOW, we don't have to be obsessive everytime we discover something new. An occasional break is restorative.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So when is your website going up? When is your book coming out?

I tried to get my boyfriend to program a diet randomization calculator, but he wasn't getting into the concept like I have.
    Webpage and book, thanks for the idea
    Nice to see ya diggin the concept, good to know its not just some crazy idea of mine, that I have from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Thanks, I find this very interesting. I am going to try and do something along those lines for myself, not to lose weight but to try and strengthen my immune system. I seem to be becoming allergic to everything and am worried about it happening more due to eating the same foods every day. This would give my system the needed shake up. Doing the exercise mix up would be good too to add to the mix. (although just starting would be a good start for me LOL)
    No worries, Yeah Metabolism and Immune to me work off the same principles (most of our bodily systems infact). The immune system detects a Stressor (pathogen) if it fights it off, it makes the tools for fighting that stress much stronger, so it might beat a more virulent strain next time.
    Yep exercise variations, social variations, sleep variations, temperature and sun variations, diet variations, we benefit from them all. keep on chooglin

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I dig the robustness angle. I agree that there's an important distinction between accommodating an ailment and treating it.

I actually do a lot of those gimmick days accidentally. It took a while but I think I've learned how to scratch my itches with the appropriate dose and compensatory adjustments. I don't want to use the "listen to body" cliché but it's plain that our requirements are not the same every day so maybe a pharmaceutical level of macrat precision is not ideal.
    I like to call them challenges pete

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    IOW, it's only convenience that keeps most of us eating the same danged crap day in and day out. Shake it up. Be creative. Grok didn't eat the same thing every day, and neither should we except for a specific reason or ailment.

But the same thing goes with other things also. Lots of sun some days with shade or indoors other = healthy. Lots of sun every day might not be that great in the long run, and shut-ins probably get the blues. High power job that makes you feel like Queen of the World - great. But if you never put it down, they might find you slumped over your desk at 55. Same thing with exercise.

IOW, we don't have to be obsessive everytime we discover something new. An occasional break is restorative.
    I think your onto it JoanieL, its a great releif when you move away from daily consistency mentality, it makes you feel ALIVE!!!. I was just mentioning some variations that also keep us healthy in the quote reply above.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm withered from diets, but I think this is the last one I'll try Once I get back from vacation I plan to take it seriously and post some results (or lack of results).

DH, two questions: You mentioned on the sanity thread that you don't drink coffee every day - can you explain why? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long did you have BED for?

Thanks for starting this!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "In the absence of stress our bodies atrophy their systems "

This is really interesting to me; I've certainly worried that the day to day favorite foods, habits, routines etc. are just that -- routine and unvaried and thus, less beneficial. Almost like inbreeding; the weakening of the systems because of the overlapping of the same genetic systems.

Sounds like you used it to great benefit for you & family.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast