Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dilberryhoundog's whole 30 eating protocol page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You mentioned on the sanity thread that you don't drink coffee every day - can you explain why?
    I dont mean to hijack, but wanted to share this since it is based on eating for your metabolism also. I dont know if the info is right or wrong, just sharing

On Fast Metabolism Diet, she says no caffeine also. In a subsequent email - not in the book, she said:
    Caffeine: You Don't Need It.
    "I really want to try the Fast Metabolism Diet, but I just HAVE to have my morning coffee."

We've been hearing this a lot as people gear up to start the Fast Metabolism Diet (now a #1 New York Times Bestseller, thank you very much!). Yes, caffeine is a no-no on the 28-day plan, but there's a good reason for it. Caffeine stresses out your adrenal glands -- and we're going to need to get your adrenals back in line to heal your metabolism and finally torch all that old fat. And won't that be better than a cup of joe?

Your adrenal glands help keep your blood sugar and cortisol levels steady, and they help regulate aldosterone, which controls how your fat is metabolized, along with sugar storage and muscle development.

Caffeine is an energy vampire

Most people think caffeine gives them a pick-me-up, but the opposite is actually true. Caffeine pushes you past a healthy state of energy, leaving you depleted of resources when you really need them. On the Fast Metabolism Diet, we don't want your adrenals pushed into this state of anxiety. We want them calm and happy so they can tell your body, "Hey, everything's cool, let's burn some fat today."

Giving up caffeine is tough, sure. But the withdrawal symptoms (primarily a headache) will ease off in just three or four days. And once you're no longer dependent on it, you'll be amazed how great you feel.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm withered from diets, but I think this is the last one I'll try Once I get back from vacation I plan to take it seriously and post some results (or lack of results).

DH, two questions: You mentioned on the sanity thread that you don't drink coffee every day - can you explain why? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long did you have BED for?

Thanks for starting this!
    Hey hey, welcome yogabare, really glad your giving this a shot, I hope it does well for ya.

Regarding your questions, first one coffee:

I'm not against having a coffee and i don't believe that one or two in a day is gunna rage through your metabolism causing untold destruction, the reason I said skip having one for a few days a week is this:
    If you drink coffee each morning or any time really it does the "heavy lifting" of getting you up and going. Now when you skip it your body (metabolism) has to get you up and going all by it self, this is actually another tool your metabolism has in its arsenal (the metabolism kick starting it self tool). If you drink coffee to do this job each and every day this metabolic tool gets atrophied. If you are a big coffee addict (heaps of cups a day) take it slowly, your metabolism kick starting tool won't be very good yet, it might take you to do it a little easier like say.... start off reducing your coffee per day, after that's mastered, only once a week skip it on a non critical (non work etc) day, when you master that, then you can skip it a few times a week.

Regarding my BED,
    My whole life basically I always ate heaps ( i mean heaps more than any body i knew), Im not sure when the binge eating actually started. As a teenager i was so active that my eating large amounts didn't really affect my body composition too much (I was skinny ) As i slowed down in my twenties i think i slipped into BED as i would eat from about 2-4pm right through to midnight most days, as my activity level slowed my body really started changing as you might see in the photo's in my success story.

A funny little side note is even on primal I eat alot, I never counted cals but I have a feeling that the CI=CO protocol would put me down as not losing any weight (I eat too much) yet I've lost near 80 lbs of fat, strange???

Hope that helps
    dilberryhoundog
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 06-16-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    yet I've lost near 80 lbs, strange???
    Was reading a bit of your journal, WTG!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    "In the absence of stress our bodies atrophy their systems "

This is really interesting to me; I've certainly worried that the day to day favorite foods, habits, routines etc. are just that -- routine and unvaried and thus, less beneficial. Almost like inbreeding; the weakening of the systems because of the overlapping of the same genetic systems.

Sounds like you used it to great benefit for you & family.
    Yeah its an interesting concept hey.
    I think everybody "gets" that if you sit on the couch all day your muscles are gunna atrophy down to the point where they aren't really that useful for facing the physical stressors that we are capable of overcoming (like climbing a tree, running 5 kms, pulling your body up over a ledge etc etc). Your muscles don't disappear, they are still there, they just aren't very good at doing their job.
    What do we have to do to get our muscles better able to do their job? use them of-course, train them, train them for specific tasks.

What people don't get is that this concept applies to their internal systems as well, I'll elaborate:
    When I was eating SAD, I was regularly eating glucose foods every few hours, from breakfast to midnight. My metabolism was in a state where it didn't have to manufacture much of its own glucose (to feed my hungry brain), if my level dropped, subconsiously I would add some more glucose down my gullet. When I switched to primal and reduced my carb/glucose level this became a real problem, my glucose producing tools couldn't really keep up with demand, they had atrophied down a fair way. The system was "still there" just it wasn't very good at doing its job. I got the carb flu as a result, my system had to learn to apportion glucose only for the brain and find other energy sources to feed the muscles while it also had to learn to ramp up production of glucose in the absence of it coming in through my digestion.

This gets back to the protocol above, currently for most of the week, my glucose producing system gets a rest (Im not low carb per se) but 1 or 2 days it will get fired back up again and be in full swing (eg when I'm doing a fast), this is the same as doing a sprint once a week for your physical body, it gets used, the system get greased, now if we do this for all the systems we have, we are gunna start seeing some fairly good body health results,

USE IT OR LOSE IT. that's how the old saying goes

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hey, hey, here I am. Ready to start this protocol. Remember, I'm going to be combining it with Johnson's up day down day. So all of the low-calorie/intermittent fasting challenges will be taken care of by my down days. On up days, I will switch things around and try the different challenges. I have some initial questions. On meat days, carb days, and veggie/fruit days, you said that you should eat predominantly meat, carb, and fruit/veggies. So does that mean you can still eat a small amount of the other stuff? How much? Basically, what I want to know is, will I be able to have butter with my potatoes on carb days and some amount of protein? I would also need some protein on the veggie/fruit days. Since these are going to be my up days and since I eat very little on down days, I don't think I can go a whole day without any animal protein.

You mentioned a measly square of dark chocolate as a reward in the fourth week. I assume that means no sweets normally?

What about alcohol? I don't think it's possible for me to give up alcohol for a month (yeah, I know) so whatever you say, I will probably continue drinking (not everyday though). But let's clarify the protocol for posterity's sake!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's kind of like cross-fit for your diet. Keep your body guessing and ready for anything. Makes sense but I wonder if there's a point where you can go overboard with the randomness, or to put it another way, if there is a sweet spot for randomness.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, hey, here I am. Ready to start this protocol. Remember, I'm going to be combining it with Johnson's up day down day. So all of the low-calorie/intermittent fasting challenges will be taken care of by my down days. On up days, I will switch things around and try the different challenges. I have some initial questions. On meat days, carb days, and veggie/fruit days, you said that you should eat predominantly meat, carb, and fruit/veggies. So does that mean you can still eat a small amount of the other stuff? How much? Basically, what I want to know is, will I be able to have butter with my potatoes on carb days and some amount of protein? I would also need some protein on the veggie/fruit days. Since these are going to be my up days and since I eat very little on down days, I don't think I can go a whole day without any animal protein.

You mentioned a measly square of dark chocolate as a reward in the fourth week. I assume that means no sweets normally?

What about alcohol? I don't think it's possible for me to give up alcohol for a month (yeah, I know) so whatever you say, I will probably continue drinking (not everyday though). But let's clarify the protocol for posterity's sake!
    Welcome on board, diene
    yeah the ADF should be no worries, just remember to keep 1 or 2 "normal" days in your up days, as a bit of a rest. You could also vary the food that you do eat on the down days also (eg tuesday week 1 low cal mainly carbs, wednesday week 2 low cal, mainly meat).

The question about full compliance to a meat/carb day etc is a good one. Yep an amount of other stuff is the way to go, this protocol is not about restricting foods you want to eat, its about not forcing yourself to eat the same everyday. I like eating fruit, so instead of apportioning the servings out equally over the week i just get in and eat all the yummy fruit on a day (usually straight after we have bought them) and some more on some other days. A few days later or when an opportunity arises I love meat, so I dig in and eat mostly meat.
    your basic aim is to give your self a macro LOAD for a day, if it means you need butter on your spuds to do that, well don't hold back, lather em up with butter, or if you need to add a few slices of veges and sauce (mainly meat stirfry, awesome) to your protein load to make it taste great, go to town on it.
    So in summary i don't think zeroing off two macros while you max out the third is a great way to eat. I'm basically an opportunistic eater... if i see some good fresh meat on sale instead of putting 80% in the freezer to eat regularly over the week, i keep it in the fridge (mmm fresh) and use it up fast, but still in meals with some other foodstuffs. same goes for fruit, same goes for vegges.

Alcohol is the same deal as coffee, its not a great concern unless your systems start to get run down dealing with it often (chronic). I have a beer or two every week and will have a 6 pack at a party once in a while, I think its great because it still keeps my metabolism on its toes, dealing with alcohol is a welcome challenge for it, like climbing a wall or running 5km, you just don't want to be running or climbing allday everyday.
    Same goes with chocolate, if you wan't to have some chocolate or there's something too good to pass up, have some. Think of it like a challenge, add it to the list of things your metabolism can do, just don't put your metabolism under pressure dealing with it on a daily basis. I use this same mentality for other "baddies", I will have some deep fried chips once in a while, or a piece (or 2) of birthday cake, just to keep my metabolism used to dealing with it, but far from regularly enough to do damage from chronically eating the stuff.

hope that makes things a bit clearer for you
    Good luck

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    dbhd, I read something similar today that was linked from a post on the Starting Strength site. I know the 180 degree heatlh guy can be a bit of a whackjob, but what he described is exactly my experience. Any new thing I try results in miraculous, effortless weight loss, but the weight always comes back. Like recently I took an Oly weightlifting class and I lost a lot of weight right away even though we barely did anything in the class at first. A little bit of jumping around with the empty bar, not really a lot of calories burned or anything. But man did I feel super healthy, alert and amazing and my clothes suddenly got loose. Now? Back to normal.

Anyway, he calls it a "catecholamine honeymoon."
    The Catecholamine Honeymoon – 180 Degree Health

It looks like your diet plan exploits this catecholamine honeymoon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've pretty much eat this way as a norm. Except for the breakfast thing. Always skip it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-17-2013 at 06:34 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I dont mean to hijack, but wanted to share this since it is based on eating for your metabolism also. I dont know if the info is right or wrong, just sharing

On Fast Metabolism Diet, she says no caffeine also. In a subsequent email - not in the book, she said:
    Thanks for the info gopintos. WHere do you stand on the coffee thing? I gave it up on two occasions in my life: for a year each time, and honestly noticed no positive effects... In fact, I noticed a lack of positive effects, cos' I was no longer getting the lovely coffee pick-me-up

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Hey hey, welcome yogabare, really glad your giving this a shot, I hope it does well for ya.

Regarding your questions, first one coffee:

I'm not against having a coffee and i don't believe that one or two in a day is gunna rage through your metabolism causing untold destruction, the reason I said skip having one for a few days a week is this:
    If you drink coffee each morning or any time really it does the "heavy lifting" of getting you up and going. Now when you skip it your body (metabolism) has to get you up and going all by it self, this is actually another tool your metabolism has in its arsenal (the metabolism kick starting it self tool). If you drink coffee to do this job each and every day this metabolic tool gets atrophied. If you are a big coffee addict (heaps of cups a day) take it slowly, your metabolism kick starting tool won't be very good yet, it might take you to do it a little easier like say.... start off reducing your coffee per day, after that's mastered, only once a week skip it on a non critical (non work etc) day, when you master that, then you can skip it a few times a week.

Regarding my BED,
    My whole life basically I always ate heaps ( i mean heaps more than any body i knew), Im not sure when the binge eating actually started. As a teenager i was so active that my eating large amounts didn't really affect my body composition too much (I was skinny ) As i slowed down in my twenties i think i slipped into BED as i would eat from about 2-4pm right through to midnight most days, as my activity level slowed my body really started changing as you might see in the photo's in my success story.
    Thanks DH - that makes to me sense about the coffee.

And thanks for the info about you BED. Just wondering, when you were binging on a daily basis, were you also obsessed with food, and thoughts of your body? If so, did this end?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast