Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stewing beef?? page

JenLiana is offline Member

Stewing beef??

Shop Now
    Hi all, I was hoping to get some idea's here. I have some beautiful marble stewing beef, and was wondering if anyone had some recipes for something OTHER than stew? I am not a huge fan of stew, and neither are my kids. (They wont touch it ) I've made some beef stroganoff before but, don't have the ingredients for it and not enough time to go get anything after work. I've also got my brother coming over for dinner, so I want to impress him with primal food
    If possible, with simple ingredients most families would have around the home! I appreciate any insight here!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The method I use is to brown it and season it however I wish, then cover the pot with a tight lid and reduce the temperature to a minimum. There will be enough juice to make a sauce, but not so much it will be swimming in liquid.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Stir fry?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    When you say you don't like stew are you thinking an American type stew with potatoes and carrots? I like to make my stewed beef by first browning the meat in bacon fat, (sometimes I add the bacon too) and then I cook some onions in more bacon fat, deglaze the pan with a generous amount of red wine, add some tomato paste and fresh garlic and any herbs you like, I use thyme and rosemary from my garden, put the browned meat back in, cover it and either cook it on the stovetop or in the oven until the meat is super tender. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like it.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    stir fry with onion,garlic,broccoli carrot,cinnamon and ginger
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Stir frying with stew meat could end up being kind of tough, because the marbling you see in the meat breaks down when cooked slowly in liquid. Before stir frying I would recommend slicing the meat very thin (that way the knife does the work of breaking down the marbling) and marinating it to further break down the marbling, then drain it and stir fry it quickly, making sure not to overcook it.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Pepper Steak

Brown beef, then add minced garlic (or leave whole and remove) 3 cloves. 1C water and 1T boullion (or use beef broth). Simmer 30min. Then add 1 green pepper chopped, 1 can stewed/diced tomatoes, simmer 20min. To thicken add 0.5c cold water with 2T potato starch (or corn starch), 2T soy sauce if you use it. Cook another 5-10min, until desired thickness. Season with salt pepper as desired.

JenLiana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    When you say you don't like stew are you thinking an American type stew with potatoes and carrots? I like to make my stewed beef by first browning the meat in bacon fat, (sometimes I add the bacon too) and then I cook some onions in more bacon fat, deglaze the pan with a generous amount of red wine, add some tomato paste and fresh garlic and any herbs you like, I use thyme and rosemary from my garden, put the browned meat back in, cover it and either cook it on the stovetop or in the oven until the meat is super tender. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like it.
    Yes, I am referring to American type stew with potatoes and carrots. I may try what you've suggested, though I'd omit the wine and likely just use a beef stock. Perhaps this is not something you hear often, but I really dislike most wine in cooking. I don't like the taste! Never been a fan of wine!

Stir Fry is a good suggestion, but another one of those meals I don't make often. While I like it, my kids don't. For some reason, meat and veggies all mixed together isn't something they particularly enjoy. When I do make it, I just separate everything for them, but its a pain!

That pepper steak sounds yummy too. Thank you all for your suggestions! I ended up just making Pork chops fried, and them simmered in regular white and crimini mushrooms, with garlic, onion, and rosemary, ( and chicken stock) and served with Cauliflower mashed "Potatoes" and broccoli. He really loved it, went back for seconds on the cauliflower, which I was surprised by!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Basically, the simple rule would be, if you don't like stews then avoid stewing beef . It NEEDS long slow cooking to break down the connective tissues and fat or it will be tough.

There are plenty of cuts which respond well to quick cooking methods like frying, grilling, stir frying etc and these are the ones which you need for stroganoff too.

One of the advantages of stewing meat - apart from the delicious geltin rich stew at the end of cooking - is that they are cheaper cuts. One of the advantages of the quick cooking cuts such as fillet steak, porterhouse, chateaubriand etc is that they cook quickly. The downside is that they cost more.

Stewing steak just won't fry, stir fry, grill etc successfully - it will still be tough.
    Last edited by breadsauce; 06-17-2013 at 12:52 AM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenLiana View Post
    I ended up just making Pork chops fried, and them simmered in regular white and crimini mushrooms, with garlic, onion, and rosemary, ( and chicken stock) and served with Cauliflower mashed "Potatoes" and broccoli. He really loved it, went back for seconds on the cauliflower, which I was surprised by!
    But you will still have the stewing beef to cook sometime. If you brown it - either in a piece, or cubed, place in a casserole dish / Dutch oven with some lightly fried onion, a sprig or two of rosemary (or three bay leaves and no rosemary), a crushed garlic clove and a little salt and pepper, then JUST cover with chicken stock and cook gently in an oven at about 150C for about 2.5 hours, the meat will be tender, delicious, with a rich sauce and you can serve your veg on the side.

Casseroles don't need to be full of veg; lots of european classics are not. Google stifado, beef paprikash (you can miss out flour), etc. Lots of almost veg free beef casserole recipes are out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast