Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stewing beef?? page 2

JenLiana is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    One of the advantages of stewing meat - apart from the delicious geltin rich stew at the end of cooking - is that they are cheaper cuts. One of the advantages of the quick cooking cuts such as fillet steak, porterhouse, chateaubriand etc is that they cook quickly. The downside is that they cost more.
    That is exactly it, I buy it because its cheap. I don't always have the money to buy the more expensive cuts, but do when I can.
    I realize that stewing beef needs to be cooked for hours, I was just looking for more ways to cook it. And I will definitely try what you've suggested as far as cooking my stew beef.

As far as needing quick cooking method beef for stroganoff, I've made it several times with stewing beef, braising in garlic, onion, and beef stock for several hours, finished off with mushrooms and sour cream and its absolutely delicious!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not exactly sure what you think that 'stew' is.

Here's our recipe: Meat + splash of Worcester Sauce in a slow cooker.

Shred with forks 1/2 hr before serving. It looks a what's called 'barbequeue' in the american south.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    How about making a curry dish?

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenLiana View Post

As far as needing quick cooking method beef for stroganoff, I've made it several times with stewing beef, braising in garlic, onion, and beef stock for several hours, finished off with mushrooms and sour cream and its absolutely delicious!
    Must try that. I make Stroganov with kidneys which is delicious - quickly cooked so they are still pink inside, and sometimes with sirloin steak. The idea of almost stewing the beef first then finishing it off with mushrooms and sour cream sounds good!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I use beef to make chilli.....oxtail is my favourite cut as it has loads of gooey goodness from all the connective tissue. I am not sharing my chilli recipe as it is a trade secret but there are lots of recipes out there that are easily converted to primal. Nachos, which are the best thing to eat with chilli imho, are more of a challenge but I have a few ideas up my sleeve.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I use beef to make chilli.....oxtail is my favourite cut as it has loads of gooey goodness from all the connective tissue. I am not sharing my chilli recipe as it is a trade secret but there are lots of recipes out there that are easily converted to primal. Nachos, which are the best thing to eat with chilli imho, are more of a challenge but I have a few ideas up my sleeve.
    I do love oxtail - but ox cheek is my favourite cut.

youtacolot is offline Member
    If you have the kitchenaid mixer with meat grinder attachment, grind it and make tacos, burgers, meatloaf, etc.
    If you don't have the mixer/grinder, I highly recommend getting it for these situations. Then you can make either stew or some ground meat dish depending on what you're in the mood for. Also, a whole chuck roast will last longer in the fridge than ground meat and I find the texture of freshly ground meat to be better.

JenLiana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    If you have the kitchenaid mixer with meat grinder attachment, grind it and make tacos, burgers, meatloaf, etc.
    If you don't have the mixer/grinder, I highly recommend getting it for these situations. Then you can make either stew or some ground meat dish depending on what you're in the mood for. Also, a whole chuck roast will last longer in the fridge than ground meat and I find the texture of freshly ground meat to be better.
    I can't tell you how much I would loooove to have a mixer!! But I don't see myself getting one anytime soon! Maybe I can get one for Christmas! hah.

To breadsauce : You really should try it, its so delicious, I just wanted something different to make because my brother was coming for dinner, and he's had my stroganoff a few times! Otherwise, I could make it all the time. I've made it with red wine as well ( de-glazing the pot after browning beef and onion, but I don't like the taste of wine while cooking so I just use straight beef stock, but you could give the wine a go, if you like that sort of thing! )

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Chili

Korean Braised Beef (korean braised beef shortribs recipe // galbi jjim // the secret formula for awesome korean bbq | bake. bite. hate.) This recipe calls for shortribs but I've done it with cubed beef and it worked fine. Sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce.

Panang Beef Curry (Panang Beef Thai Curry | Paleo Parents)

I have also seasoned the beef with salt and pepper, tossed it in a dutch oven with water about halfway covering the meat, and a tablespoon of tomato paste (or splash of vinegar or lemon juice), some garlic and a dash of red pepper and let it simmer till tender. Scoop out the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside, reduce the liquid till its thick (sometimes adding cream or butter, and salt and pepper to taste) to create a gravy. Serve with "rice" (grated cauliflower) and roast veggies and/or salad. Cheap "steak" dinner.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Head over to America' Test Kitchen and look up their recipe for Catalan style beef stew. It really is fantastic, and easy to make in the oven. One special ingredient you'll need is smoked paprika.

Another good one Ive found is the Real Texas Chile con Carne from seriouseats.com. For that you will need some dried chiles.

I love good slow-cooked beef recipes using tough cuts (chuck, short ribs, shank etc)…there is nothing more satisfying IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast