Thread: Cheesemaking. Have you done it? page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Cheesemaking. Have you done it?

Shop Now
    I tried my first batch today. It was simple and I would say it worked, but the taste is nothing to write home about so looking for hints to suggest what I might try next.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    what kind did you make? I've made paneer/curd types but never 'real' cheese. with the curds spices and garlic and chives work well. i particularly like nutmeg in cottage cheese
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Oh thanks. Yes it was a simple white cheese. So bland I added salt and cumin seeds to half, tarragon to other half. Still not much flavour. Chives not around at present, I didn't think of garlic or nutmeg - good ideas.

ALso, how would you serve it?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    If i've pressed it (paneer) i use it in a lot of Indian style recipes,

I also use it as a thick layer in a kind of pasta free lasagne i butter a small tray and line with aubergine slices, tip in cooked ground beef from a lasagne recipe, add layer of paneer,layer of onions, rest of beef and sprinkle with parmesan,cook in oven till aubergine is browned and crunchy

I used to eat it spiced on rye crisp-breads before I started primal and miss that

if its wet (cottage cheese) I often mix it with mashed egg instead of mayo with lots of mustard cress salt,pepper and eat it with ham.

If you look up paneer recipes you'll find loads of spicy tasty ones.This is one of my favourites and it eat it, very messily, with cucumber slices Paneer Bhurji - Paneer Burji Recipe » All Recipes Indian Fry Recipes Indian Paneer Recipes Indian Vegetarian Recipes Indian Food Recipes | Andhra Recipes | Indian Dishes Recipes | Sailu's Kitchen

if you want something sweet its really, really good with pureed or mashed peach or nectarine with cinnamon and shredded coconut -a drizzle of honey makes this really special.
    most fruits work well with the above but there's something decadent about the cinnamon puréed peach drizzled through it

other good flavours i often serve with salad for lunch
    bacon bits and roast garlic
    mustard
    lemon and black pepper
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-15-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    If you end up with lots of whey, you might want to try this cheese recipe Drowning in Whey? Make Gjetost Cheese

I've never tried it, but the other things I've tried from the same site have worked well.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've made cheese in the past. Fresh cheese is easy and you can make a superior product and more styles than you can purchase. There's not much point in making hard cheese unless you have a cow or goats you milk, or very cheap milk. Hard cheese making was traditionally a method of preserving the seasonal surplus of milk. It takes a lot of work to turn a lot of milk into a little cheese.

Primal-V is offline Member
    Hi there,

I made unpasteurised soft goats cheese a few years ago when I knew someone with show dairy goats (they weren't licenced to sell milk but could give it away - yay).

I found adding raw garlic created too strong a flavour, a better method is to mince garlic, put it into a sieve and then lower into a pan of boiling water for 30 seconds or so, then lift the garlic out, put on kitchen paper to dry off and then add to your cheese with herbs and salt to taste. This gives a milder garlic flavour and helps avoid the raw garlic taste that can bee too strong.

This was far and away my favourite thing to do with the cheese. Good luck with yours!

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i've been making a few frsh soft cheeses recently (paneer) but just started my first brie on Saturday, gonna be a tough time waiting for that to be edible!

My parents have 4-5 milking goats here, i struck a deal for free milk in return for 30% of what i produce in cream and cheese
    win/win