Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell lifting page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Barbell lifting

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I've been getting into barbell weightlifting recently. I don't squat down very far, so I am using a lot more of my back muscles. Is this bad? I'm currently lifting 70 kg over my head, but I'm reluctant to go any higher if it might be bad for my back?

I may have to concentrate on squatting for a while because I have to admit, I don't squat very well, this might be the main issue.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    You want to squat down to parallel. If you can't with 70kgs, I would advise you to use a weight that you can do it with and practice form with that. I would definitely focus on form to get better at squats.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Ahhh... Yeh... Lower the weight! You should not be feeling it in the back at all, so yes it's bad. *cringe*

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    focus on using your ass muscles. spend lots of time in a 'grok squat' without weights

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Even if you need to start with an empty bar.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Hi, I've been getting into barbell weightlifting recently. I don't squat down very far, so I am using a lot more of my back muscles. Is this bad? I'm currently lifting 70 kg over my head, but I'm reluctant to go any higher if it might be bad for my back?

I may have to concentrate on squatting for a while because I have to admit, I don't squat very well, this might be the main issue.
    Whats the question then?

Do you wanna be told "you gotta squat!" Or are you looking for a "squat can be replaced and it won't be the end of the world"? Cause I can make a fine logical case either way depending on your circumstances.

However just to clear up not squating far down will use less back and glute muscles.... not more. Basically doing a half squat is just bending and locking the knees without activating the hips, hamstrings, glutes, and less stabilization of the back is needed.

You might consider doing something like I do. I don't squat. I do deadlift, leg press, and hyperextensions. I've got pre-existing disc issues that get aggravated with the squat. Leg press can be just as bad though, so if you use it follow some of the tips for set up and use by Bill DeSimone. Example here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSP7ArTlo28

Guess before people jump in with the "you can squat with lighter weight" I should say .... yes... yes I/you can. I can do single leg pistols with a jump, I can grok squat sit for long periods, and I can do plenty of hindu squats. I just don't load my spine with more than 185lbs at this time (still do overhead presses).
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-15-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Jordyanne91 is offline Junior Member
    As has been mentioned already, check your form, I squat 65kg, to at least parallel, and I never feel it in my back.
    You can see proper form on places like bodybuilding.com and YouTube videos,

What did you mean by "I'm currently lifting 70kg over my head"? Are you talking about a different exercise?
    Jordyanne91

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I meant that I do a clean and jerk (or something approaching it) and end up with the weight above my head with my arms pointing upwards. I can squat that weight also its just that my legs don't go anywhere near parralell as part of the clean and jerk, I don't get 'underneath' the weight during the clean. I can get away with it because 70 kg isn't that heavy, I assume I'll have to get the correct form in place to be able to go to higher weights, otherwise I'll do my back in...

I was thinking aloud really thanks for your comments....:-)
    Last edited by Owen; 06-15-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Jordyanne91 is offline Junior Member
    Ok if you are doing a clean and jerk I would be dropping the weight until you have the form 100%, last thing you want is a twinge in your back with the bar over your head
    Good luck
    Jordyanne91

10 Bears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I meant that I do a clean and jerk (or something approaching it) and end up with the weight above my head with my arms pointing upwards. I can squat that weight also its just that my legs don't go anywhere near parralell as part of the clean and jerk, I don't get 'underneath' the weight during the clean. I can get away with it because 70 kg isn't that heavy, I assume I'll have to get the correct form in place to be able to go to higher weights, otherwise I'll do my back in...
    I think that your training is all off here. If you aren't getting underneath the weight in C&J is it possible that you are actually performing something more like a Snatch? In C&J there are 3 phases - Drive, Catch, Press. If you arent getting under it in the catch you are going straight from drive into press - which is more like a Snatch. Either way - based on your description, its not ideal and you are likely to hurt your back eventually.

Ill give you my bar routine when I want to work on my C&J. Its good as it works the individual phases and once they are being executed properly, you can add more weight in. Purely, a guess, but I think you could do all this with a 40kg bar, and perform each element at 3 sets of 8 reps. Remember you are working on accurately developing each movement - so strict form is essential.

- From a power rack, front squats (with arms crossed over chest and thighs down to parallel)
    - Bar on the floor, deadlift (good form, flat back especially in the early part of the lift and always look upwards) and remember to alternate grip so you dont have a dominant hand
    - Back on the power rack, standing shoulder press (push slightly behind your head - not just straight up)
    - On the floor again, complete full range Clean and Jerk. You probably won't have to do the split legs with only 40kg

Bearing in mind the sets and reps - this is a good workout that should take about 20 mins, and you won't need to train anything else. Just get it done, working on good form through all the parts and then go home and rest. If you keep this routine going perhaps twice a week on top of whatever other training, I'm sure you will progress well.

If you struggle with any of this routine - give me a shout and Ill try to answer your questions.
    Last edited by 10 Bears; 06-16-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast