Thread: Theory on calories. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Theory on calories.

Shop Now
    Basically, we all know kcals don't really matter. And we all know someone who, all things being as CW says they are, would need 3000kcal/day who manages on 2000kcal/day and someone who would need 1500kcal/day who needs 1800kcal/day. We all know that a 'calorie' as measured in a lab isn't translated directly into the fuel your body burns. Most of us are aware of the origins of the 2000kcal/day advice (Food Politics » Where did the 2,000 calorie diet idea come from?) and of the different ways the body processes kcals (There Is No Such Thing As A “Calorie” (To Your Body) - GNOLLS.ORG).

And we've all probably had days where, with no change to our regime, we fancied (and ate) far more or far less kcals than the day before.

I propose to you that, on a daily basis, your kcals can go up and down because dietary protein isn't energy. Hear me out. I know it can be transformed into energy. But think about it this way... (continued on blog)

[Posted it to the blog that I'm reviving.
    http://alicerants.blog.com/2013/06/1...y-on-calories/ ]
    Last edited by Kochin; 06-15-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Apart from fishing for pageviews (cough, ), I don't know. There is a thermic effect of food, of which protein has the highest.

sting is offline Senior Member
    calories do matter, especially for those that have been used to high carb diets.

Ofc 1 calories is not equal to 1 different food type calorie, but that's minor calorie difference.

Those that say it don't matter because they are eating 1200 calories and not losing weight, well there starving their bodies,

Those that say they can eat 4000 calories and not gain weight compared to someone else who says i gain weight if i eat 3000 calories, well they just have a slower metabolism, probbaly coming of a high carb diet, while the other hasn't abused their metabolism us much.
    Last edited by sting; 06-15-2013 at 04:08 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I believe that CICO is correct. The major problem is that we can't possibly measure the "O" for any given population. So that's a matter of trial and error for the individual. And while there is evidence that it takes more energy to "burn" proteins, I just figure that's part of the O.

And I've allowed myself to be sucked into a calorie discussion. :::rolls eyes at self:::
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I believe that CICO is correct. The major problem is that we can't possibly measure the "O" for any given population. So that's a matter of trial and error for the individual. And while there is evidence that it takes more energy to "burn" proteins, I just figure that's part of the O.

And I've allowed myself to be sucked into a calorie discussion. :::rolls eyes at self:::
    +1, on both points LOL.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe it's another calories thread.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I can't believe it's another calories thread.
    FFS! RIGHT?

sigh

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Some people like talking about calories. It's not like anyone is being forced into joining in.

I can't access your blog at the moment, Kochin.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Calories? I have never seen a calorie in my whole life, so how can they then exist? Calories is an invention made up by the goverment and the CIA to make people fat, and everybody knows that fat people are easy to control...

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Calories? I have never seen a calorie in my whole life, so how can they then exist? Calories is an invention made up by the goverment and the CIA to make people fat, and everybody knows that fat people are easy to control...
    True, you can bait them with cake and pie and soy!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app