Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 4

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    I quit drinking too and feel so much better - clear-headed in the evenings now - and weight came off without all the sugar and alcohol. Really Mike? Posting a recipe for hard cider and posting about ways to continue to drink? I think you should take your comments elsewhere. Obviously you're an alcoholic who wants to rationalize continuing to drink.
    Thanks Marie, I'm pleased that you quit, how long has it been for you?

Can't believe all the support I'm getting here, you have no idea how much it is motivating me. Thanks to all.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Since last August and I'm not only clear-headed now but also 45 lbs lighter. You are doing a great thing for your body and I admire you!

Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    Since last August and I'm not only clear-headed now but also 45 lbs lighter. You are doing a great thing for your body and I admire you!
    Thank you, 45 lbs! Well done and congrats on you coming up to a year.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    To be free of the lifestyle is a term I keep hearing or reading. Maybe one day I might be saying it to someone else.
    I think it's a matter of saying "This is who I am now" as opposed to "I stopped drinking". Know what I mean? Almost looking at it as if you're a different person now, and that type of person just naturally doesn't do certain things like drinking.

I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I have 2 ex-husbands, one that was (and probably still is) and another that was 20 years sober when I met him.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Sol, just wanted to add my congratulations. Sounds like you're doing really well.

If you were into tv I would suggest dvds of a motivating series - I can watch hours of a series that hooks me and get a real buzz from it. If there is anything you find gives you a lift - favourite books, comics, films etc then you can use them to lift your mood. I love comics, so I'm a sucker for super-hero films. but hanging out here is probably almost as good!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Does adding in exercise daily help with sleep?

Yes Rita, that is who I am now is a much better way of looking at it. Well said.

Thanks awok, the tv is just a no no for me. Except sport but I don't have sky. I love music but not had the inclination to listen to any lately. I will read when I feel like it but for now this place is pretty much addictive for me.

W I P, my next step is to be looking into a bit of exercise, I've got a fair amount to lose so I'll have to start off carefully, walking gets a good write up on here so I think that is a good start.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol;
    Hope the day went well. Just checking in and I thought of a couple of more things that might be helpful. Just ignore if not useful or too much info--no worries.

I don't know if you have the "restlessness" feeling of not knowing quite what to do with yourself, especially around the normal drinking time. I sure did. I'm glad to hear that you are looking into walking first. A good walk and finding a place that stays open late, has other people doing their own thing, and has no booze for sale gets you out of the house and away from temptation. In fact, regular walks in the morning and evening helped me quite a lot and led to better sleep. I went early morning (often at dawn since I wasn't asleep anyway) and evenings both sometimes. That's part of the primal "move your body" philosophy and it gets you ready for more exercise down the road when you're feeling better.

It is really important to keep well hydrated. The body, and especially the liver, is processing lots of stuff right now since it finally has a chance to. First thing in the morning some water, water with a squeeze of lemon, and maybe a good probiotic will get things off to a good start. When I first started Primal, I started taking a good quality probiotic (a little before breakfast) and vitamin / mineral with breakfast. Before Primal I rarely ate breakfast, but did love a stiff Bloody Mary with a stalk of celery and cheddar cheese on the weekend. These days it's eggs and meat--I also love banana pancakes which you should try and there are many versions floating around on this site.

The final thing is don't worry too much about being super-strict with the diet yet. Keep working towards it but don't beat yourself up for eating comfort food right now. The most important thing is to keep not drinking. Everything else will come in time but that is the big one. You can eat less processed food, more veggies, more water, etc. and it will help you feel better. But if the only thing that distracts you from slipping is a big quart of ice cream or a greasy burger and fries, I'd go for that in a minute over the beer. You can do this. I also don't consider myself that disciplined or motivated. I just had had enough and was ready for a change. Sounds like you feel the same way. That's really all you need to do this.
    Last edited by missblue; 06-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Missblue, top post, thank you.

The restlessness is awful, getting agitated with myself and feeling anxious especially as the clock moves towards 7pm.

Going to start walking soon as I can. I've had gout in my left foot for over a week now, it's not too bad only a limp. However, these last two night it has attacked both of my knees very badly. Horrible crippling pain and can only walk after spending 10 - 15 mins gently applying a bit of weight on my feet to get them ready for the task. I've suffered with gout for a couple of years on and off but never in my knees.

My friend thinks it's because of the dramatic change in my primal diet. Five days of eating very very small amounts of bacon, tuna, chicken and some spinach leaves. I'm just not hungry. Oops, forgot to mention eggs.

Lots of water For my uric acid and especially my over worked liver that deserves a medal from the British
    medical sciences department.

As for the comfort food thing, it won't happen. I'm 100% into eating healthy and primal. No drunkeness to let me down.

Like you, I've just had enough. Twenty years of serious alcohol abuse and I'm still here. A canny beer belly but otherwise I'm very lucky.

Thanks for that missblue. I really wanted to reply to your quote but the typing box was full of text and I couldn't figure out how to make some space

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Sol, I reckon you have this under control. Sure you feel shaky on occasions but reading your posts I can 'hear' that steely determination that's needed to kill the habit like a boss!images (1).jpgimages (2).jpg

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast