Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 3

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a home brewer and I have also had problems with the old beer belly. I find what helps is to have a couple of alcohol free days a week - say Tuesday and Thursday, and to eat not much at all on those days if possible. Also more exercise and switch to something less carb laden, such as a nice dry hard cider or a dry white wine, as opposed to beer.
    It's actually dead easy to make hard cider using a simple fermentation vessel, a few gallons of supermarket pure apple juice and a wine yeast. Hic.

Before joining this forum I successfully lost about 6 kilos when I moved interstate, just because I was so busy and active with the move and skipping meals often, but didn't stop drinking during the process.

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    The weird thing is while I've been off it I've hardly ate anything. After I've drunk I will eat any old rubbish and plenty of it.
    I'm doing antabuse now so any form of alcohol to pass these lips and I'm in big trouble, including mouthwashes, toothpastes, ect. It's the total lack of sleep that is frustrating.

I fancy a drink now you ferkkhurr

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sol,
    How amazing that you have made four days dry! Good for you. Sounds like you are really working hard to keep the change going.
    No advice just pure admiration. I will be watching your journey with interest.
    Cheers(bad joke too soon??)
    Jackie

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol blackcat;
    I stopped drinking almost 21 months ago now and couldn't imagine stopping for a week before I did it. I also quit for work-related reasons. You will feel a bit rocky the first few weeks as it gets out of your system. One trick I did was to eat a few dried figs or other dried fruit when I felt really bad cravings and lightheaded. Got some minerals back in my system and gave me enough sugar to metabolize to get the same effect the booze would have done metabolizing into sugar. This was short term and I weaned myself off the fruit and into more meat and veg as I got more used to things.

I don't regret quitting one minute. I love being free of the lifestyle and, although how I have fun has changed, I do have fun again. For awhile it does seem pretty flat and bleak but that will pass. I didn't do any programs or groups, just stopped. Everyday I feel better and I'm so glad I stuck with it. Hang in there and be patient with the process. You will get your life back but better in the end.

The sleeping thing is also a problem I had. If you don't like old movies, etc. go get or renew a library card and an empty journal to write in. Check out books and / or audiobooks and if you get bored with that, sit up in bed and write in the journal. Also, get some herbal teas to have iced or hot so you have something to drink in the afternoon without any stimulants or sugar. Black tea is not a sleep aid :-)
    Last edited by missblue; 06-16-2013 at 07:17 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    It's the total lack of sleep that is frustrating.
    It's not going to help a whole lot, but taking 400mg of magnesium before you go to bed helps relax your body and mind. You fall asleep easier and sleep more soundly. Added TMI benefit - nice easy poop in the morning.

It also helps with brain function in general, so it's a no brainer (see what I did there?)
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Smile

Thanks jacmac, and cheers

Thanks Rita, no brainer, I seen what you did there like.

Miss blue, 21 months? Get in there, that's fantastic. Thanks for the tips.
    To be free of the lifestyle is a term I keep hearing or reading. Maybe one day I might be saying it to someone else.
    I'm not really a tv fan but I do enjoy reading, also I've been reading this forum all through the nights.
    Again good advice, thanks.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well or offered advice, I do appreciate it very much.
    Wish I knew how to multiple quote, but i'll learn

Off Duty is offline Member
    Sol,

Congrats on the decision to change your life my friend.
    As you already know, it's going to be an uphill climb, but you have prepared well, and it sounds like you have the mental discipline, the perseverance, dedication and motivation to make it happen!!

You certainly have the support and encouragement of everyone here!

Hang in there brother, and welcome aboard.

OD

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    ...Wish I knew how to multiple quote, but i'll learn
    Here ya go brother.

Use the small ["] marks at the lower right corner of the post.
    Has the " marks in a shaded box, with a + sign next to it.
    It looks something like this:
    "+

Click on the posts that you want to quote, then hit reply.
    you can then add your remarks under each quoted post.

Or, as I did, edit the quoted post down to just the section you want to address

Stay strong!

OD
    Last edited by Off Duty; 06-16-2013 at 08:28 AM.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    I quit drinking too and feel so much better - clear-headed in the evenings now - and weight came off without all the sugar and alcohol. Really Mike? Posting a recipe for hard cider and posting about ways to continue to drink? I think you should take your comments elsewhere. Obviously you're an alcoholic who wants to rationalize continuing to drink.

Cool

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
    Sol,

Congrats on the decision to change your life my friend.
    As you already know, it's going to be an uphill climb, but you have prepared well, and it sounds like you have the mental discipline, the perseverance, dedication and motivation to make it happen!!

You certainly have the support and encouragement of everyone here!

Hang in there brother, and welcome aboard.

OD
    Thanks for that OD. Was dreading last night but it wasn't too bad.

Prepared? Mental discipline? Perseverance? Dedication and motivation? Me? I think you got the wrong fella.
    Thanks mate and I will practice the multiple quote thing.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast