Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 371

Thread: Heavy drinker page 28

  1. #271
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Thanks crypto, I've got a plan of action, it's 4 am now, starting to get light outside. I'm fully wide awake. Sleep is just not possible any time soon. I had about 3 hours sleep this morning. I'm going to stop using the iPad in the bedroom after this weekend, I'm going to try and go 36- 48 hours until I'm so tired I can choose what time I want to sleep and what time I want to wake up. Try and get into a pattern. I could go to work with a hangover, but couldn't go to work under these sleepless conditions. What do you think! Of course I'm going to try your sleep exercise too.
    I think that sounds great! Be prepared for lots of practice and failure. But if you keep it up seems like it'd have to work.

    I know I'm a Nazi on this subject. I cost me 4 failed tries, 2 heart attacks and several years of insanity to get it through my thick head. The rules matter, at least to me. In all other areas I'm quite reasonable. Really I am.

    I think the 'no blue light after dinner' rule is a good one. I'm a natural night owl so it's not normal for me to shut down everything but I do so early. At least I enjoy reading a book. Some here are using candle light. It's also easy to get my mind so wound up at night they even the pills don't work.

    I just learned that the human circadian rhythm (cortisol - melatonin cycle ) is 24 hours and 18 minutes. That's weird. Maybe that's why (or an excuse for) my internal clock moves later each day until I just naturally skip one night's sleep about every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Or we came from another planet. Or the earth used to be in a larger orbit.

    The very best of luck with your plan.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

  2. #272
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I think that sounds great! Be prepared for lots of practice and failure. But if you keep it up seems like it'd have to work.

    I know I'm a Nazi on this subject. I cost me 4 failed tries, 2 heart attacks and several years of insanity to get it through my thick head. The rules matter, at least to me. In all other areas I'm quite reasonable. Really I am.

    I think the 'no blue light after dinner' rule is a good one. I'm a natural night owl so it's not normal for me to shut down everything but I do so early. At least I enjoy reading a book. Some here are using candle light. It's also easy to get my mind so wound up at night they even the pills don't work.



    I just learned that the human circadian rhythm (cortisol - melatonin cycle ) is 24 hours and 18 minutes. That's weird. Maybe that's why (or an excuse for) my internal clock moves later each day until I just naturally skip one night's sleep about every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Or we came from another planet. Or the earth used to be in a larger orbit.

    The very best of luck with your plan.
    I do enjoy reading very much. Would it be ok to read in bed or is the bedroom for sleeping only?
    Candle light, that's an idea.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  3. #273
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    According to Mark and the Sleep doctor, the bedroom is for sleeping only.

    Sleep seems to be becoming a big thing, almost as big as obesity, at least in the U.S. Our HMO has outbid NY for the US leading sleep doctor who will arrive shortly. They're also building him a new center. It must be more than Low Carb that is causing problems.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

  4. #274
    mike's Avatar
    mike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Aye, it suits me, I can't stand the heat. Much prefer the winter. Are you originally from Spain?
    Nope, I'm from the US. How did I wind up in Spain? Not sure exactly. It just sort of happened...

  5. #275
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    According to Mark and the Sleep doctor, the bedroom is for sleeping only.

    Sleep seems to be becoming a big thing, almost as big as obesity, at least in the U.S. Our HMO has outbid NY for the US leading sleep doctor who will arrive shortly. They're also building him a new center. It must be more than Low Carb that is causing problems.
    Well I'm going to get my head around it and prepare this weekend and start on Sunday night. Sleep is so important and doctors in the uk just don't treat it with the importance they should. In my case anyway. Thanks again crypto.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Nope, I'm from the US. How did I wind up in Spain? Not sure exactly. It just sort of happened...
    Well as long as you're happy mike. That's the most important thing.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  6. #276
    mike's Avatar
    mike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    174
    I don't have insomnia but I know that my worst nights sleep are when I'm stressed about work and my best nights sleep are after a long day of strenuous activity - hiking/backpacking all day in Minnesota and then collapsing into my sleeping bag and falling asleep to the sound of loons singing.

  7. #277
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I don't have insomnia but I know that my worst nights sleep are when I'm stressed about work and my best nights sleep are after a long day of strenuous activity - hiking/backpacking all day in Minnesota and then collapsing into my sleeping bag and falling asleep to the sound of loons singing.
    I'm a strange case me, I could go to work all day including lots of motorway driving get home and be pleasantly shattered. Soon as bed time comes I turn into the most energetic person in the world. Fully alert, mind racing ect. Not just now and then but constantly, every single night. The amount of hours I've slept in the last month is pathetic. And doctors just won't help me! Perhaps they don't believe me.

    I would love to attend one of these experiment sleep centres. Boy would I give them something to discuss in their case study meetings.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  8. #278
    mike's Avatar
    mike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    174
    Sol, have you thought about getting a night job?

  9. #279
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Sol, have you thought about getting a night job?
    A night job would be ideal for me to be honest.
    But I'm returning soon to the job Ive done for the last nine years + and skilled in. The reason I'm doing pb and becoming dry is for this opportunity to get my old job back. If it didn't workout then I'd consider night work, but I'm confident it will.

    Good suggestion mike, thanks.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  10. #280
    awok677's Avatar
    awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK, The South West
    Posts
    304
    I have to weigh in on the side of a month being a calendar month and 28 days being 4 weeks (except in February, of course). that way you get to celebrate 4 weeks as well as 1 month, 2 or 3 days later. To my mind it's a month when you reach the same day in the next month. Whichever, it's a huge achievement, Sol, good on ya, mate!

    I enjoyed working nights - parcel-sorting for various courier companies, and I seemed to need a lot less sleep in the daytime and got a lot more done between sleep and work. Best thing was being able to organise my sleeping schedule around things like dentist appointments etc without having to take time off work.

    But going back to your old job is the best first step, Sol. That way you can get yourself financially stable and figure out what you really want to do. When I'm considering changing work, I calculate exactly what I need to pay the essentials and what outgoings I can get rid of - like ditching contacts to go back to glasses and cancelling the Sky. Add in some leeway for emergencies, then I can work out what hourly/weekly/monthly rate or I can afford to earn.

    And of course, there's the old standby of keeping the 'day job' and doing what interests you in your spare time until you reach a stage where you could make it work as alternative employment. In my case that's likely to be well after retirement age!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •