Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 371

Thread: Heavy drinker page 21

  1. #201
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    All the people you've helped in the past is something I'm sure you are very proud about, and rightly so.
    Feel free to offer more advice and shoot me down if you think I'm doing something wrong. If you think my attitude is wrong at anytime then I'd rather you advised me.

    I sincerely hope I didn't disappoint you in anyway.

    I really would value your opinion on any matters you may think might help. Ive had a number of private messages regarding this matter from people I've never seen post on these boards. So your experience could be valuable to other readers who might be taking an interest but don't want to comment.

    Thank you.
    Thank you Sol. I greatly respect your unusual honesty and integrity, and sincerely apologize if I have perturbed you in any way. You have certainly not disappointed me. I'm amazed at how very well you're doing.

    No, I have no pride in helping alcoholics or anyone else. I don't really do anything except be physically there or available (which I'm sure some find irritating at times) and encouraging. If a person is really ready and sincere they do it themselves; if they are not there's nothing in the world anyone else can do. This best I receive is the opportunity to learn from others and their experiences. Sometimes I can usefully pass these on.

  2. #202
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    when i started walking and got thinner legs and got muscle myleft leg was considerably littler(i had a cva that damaged my left side) consciously and consistently leading with that leg when walking has made a massive difference.

    regarding smoking if you can get the quickmist device and they are unbelievably effective- its how I stopped. Ive tried everything else before. NICORETTE® QuickMist Mouthspray. | Nicorette
    So, are you legs equal now? I had a blood clot in my right leg which stopped my walking from the pain. The doctor said just take a rest during the walk until the pain subsides. Well, around here there's no place to sit except on the ground. So I bought on-line on of those 3-legged folding seat-canes and tried it. Turns out you can only sit on the very front edge or it falls over backwards; and it's a nuisance to carry. Now the clot has moved, broken up, or new blood vessels have formed and there's no more pain, but boy is that calf weak.

    Thanks, I'll get a quickmist, I'll try anything to help succeed at this.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

  3. #203
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Sol, Mark has tons of useful advice on how to sleep. Go to his blog page in search 'sleep'.

    If you're regularly sleeping 3 - 4 hours it could likely be that the problem is no longer nerves. It could be the effect of too low carbs or just habit now. If you're tired enough to give up the faster weight loss, eat starchy (high glycemic load index) foods; yams, sweet potatoes, for dinner. Or try taking a teaspoon of potato starch at least 2 hours before bed, and slowly upping that to 1 tablespoon. I haven't tried that but it seems to work for some people.

  4. #204
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    are the necks fillet or boned, if they're fillets make kebabs mmmmm. if theyre boned wonderful stew with some veg
    There wasn't any bones in them carbs, I was able to bend them to fit in tub to freezer. I haven't got a kebab maker. Thanks carby.


    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Yum ! Lamb neck. Try this
    In a slow cooker or a large pot- brown the seasoned with s&p necks then add chopped onion and carrot with a tin of whole tomatoes and cook until the meat is falling off the bone ( the longer the better). Next step eat and slurp up the sauce!

    Sounds good, I've never tasted neck before, not animal neck anyway. "slurp up the sauce", gerrin, as loudly as possible!
    Thanks jac.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thank you Sol. I greatly respect your unusual honesty and integrity, and sincerely apologize if I have perturbed you in any way. You have certainly not disappointed me. I'm amazed at how very well you're doing.

    No, I have no pride in helping alcoholics or anyone else. I don't really do anything except be physically there or available (which I'm sure some find irritating at times) and encouraging. If a person is really ready and sincere they do it themselves; if they are not there's nothing in the world anyone else can do. This best I receive is the opportunity to learn from others and their experiences. Sometimes I can usefully pass these on.
    You most certainly have offered good advice and never anything other. Just being there for whomever needs you is far more than words can describe. Perhaps your being there could have been the direct result in avoiding a tragedy. Just being there is an enormous act of goodwill and I for one hold you in the highest of respect.
    You are a kind, giving and caring lady.

    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Sol, Mark has tons of useful advice on how to sleep. Go to his blog page in search 'sleep'.

    If you're regularly sleeping 3 - 4 hours it could likely be that the problem is no longer nerves. It could be the effect of too low carbs or just habit now. If you're tired enough to give up the faster weight loss, eat starchy (high glycemic load index) foods; yams, sweet potatoes, for dinner. Or try taking a teaspoon of potato starch at least 2 hours before bed, and slowly upping that to 1 tablespoon. I haven't tried that but it seems to work for some people.
    Crypto,

    I will checkout marks sleeping page, thanks. My main problem is my 3-4 hours sleep arrives when most people are waking up. Don't know how I'm going to cope when I get back to work, especially staying in hotel which I used to do often.

    Must focus on weight loss for another couple of weeks, doing well, another 4lb and I've lost 2 stone in three weeks. Drastic I know but the calories I'm saving from alcohol is the key.
    Can you buy potato starch? I've not heard of it before.
    As always your advice is so valuable.

    Take care crypto.

  5. #205
    jacmac's Avatar
    jacmac is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    824
    Sounds good, I've never tasted neck before, not animal neck anyway. "slurp up the sauce", gerrin, as loudly as possible!

    Ooh oh so you have tasted human neck ?? Do tell this could be interesting!

  6. #206
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Sounds good, I've never tasted neck before, not animal neck anyway. "slurp up the sauce", gerrin, as loudly as possible!

    Ooh oh so you have tasted human neck ?? Do tell this could be interesting!
    I vant te bite ze neck. A gentleman never tells!!

  7. #207
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Can you buy potato starch? I've not heard of it before.
    As always your advice is so valuable.

    Take care crypto.
    Red Mill Potato Starch is in our local Sprouts market, it's also online many places, see amazon.

    BTW I looked up pilchards. These are larger sardines yes? If so, I've never seen them here. But I like herring better than tuna.

    So, I tried the multiple quotes and failed. Do they all have to be on the same page? And please knock off the 'so valuable' sort of stuff. It make me fee squirrely and squiggly.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

  8. #208
    missblue's Avatar
    missblue is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Yum ! Lamb neck. Try this
    In a slow cooker or a large pot- brown the seasoned with s&p necks then add chopped onion and carrot with a tin of whole tomatoes and cook until the meat is falling off the bone ( the longer the better). Next step eat and slurp up the sauce!
    Cooking is for real men in my view Sol, so I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it. You'll also find that you will be more sensitive to the flavors of food since you've stopped drinking. You'll be fitter than you mates soon and kicking their asses, I'll bet. . .

    Jacmac's recipe seems pretty spot on for a feast. A few details to make it even better--
    Use more oil than you think you want to. I'd brown plenty of onions in the fat and brown drippings on the bottom of the pan from cooking the lamb neck. The onions will make that brown stuff "let go" and make the stew taste great. If you get to green grocer maybe a few herbs to chop finely and add, or some savory, oregano, etc. that are dried will also taste very nice. He's quite right about the long cooking time. A very low simmer (not really bubbling, more burbling slowly) with a stir every now and then to keep it from sticking will make the meat more tender. If you like peas, some of those frozen ones the last few minutes of cooking give it a great flavor and cook almost instantly. Did I mention that cooking was my version of football? I read cookbooks like some people read the sports page. Did you try the shepherd's pie yet?

    Best to all but early night for me. Longer post in the morning.

    I do hope your leg is feeling better Cryptocode. How's the non-smoking thing going?
    blue
    Last edited by missblue; 07-05-2013 at 08:38 PM.

  9. #209
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Red Mill Potato Starch is in our local Sprouts market, it's also online many places, see amazon.

    BTW I looked up pilchards. These are larger sardines yes? If so, I've never seen them here. But I like herring better than tuna.

    So, I tried the multiple quotes and failed. Do they all have to be on the same page? And please knock off the 'so valuable' sort of stuff. It make me fee squirrely and squiggly.
    Large sardines is correct. A couple of posters on this thread learnt me how to multi quote, if you go back and read it you can learn how it's done. It can be from any page. Give awa, man woman man, you are valuable and you know it.

    I've got a bone to pick with you (not pilchards bones) but......

    I greatly respect your UNUSUAL honesty? I'm hurting, I need a drink to sooth my wounded feelings. Hic hic.

  10. #210
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    370
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    Cooking is for real men in my view Sol, so I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it. You'll also find that you will be more sensitive to the flavors of food since you've stopped drinking. You'll be fitter than you mates soon and kicking their asses, I'll bet. . .

    Jacmac's recipe seems pretty spot on for a feast. A few details to make it even better--
    Use more oil than you think you want to. I'd brown plenty of onions in the fat and brown drippings on the bottom of the pan from cooking the lamb neck. The onions will make that brown stuff "let go" and make the stew taste great. If you get to green grocer maybe a few herbs to chop finely and add, or some savory, oregano, etc. that are dried will also taste very nice. He's quite right about the long cooking time. A very low simmer (not really bubbling, more burbling slowly) with a stir every now and then to keep it from sticking will make the meat more tender. If you like peas, some of those frozen ones the last few minutes of cooking give it a great flavor and cook almost instantly. Did I mention that cooking was my version of football? I read cookbooks like some people read the sports page. Did you try the shepherd's pie yet?

    Best to all but early night for me. Longer post in the morning.

    I do hope your leg is feeling better Cryptocode. How's the non-smoking thing going?
    blue
    I'm going to do something with that lamb neck tomorrow, bit weary of tomatoes till the gout has completely gone. I fancy doing it in the slow cooker. Thanks for the tips.
    Already noticed the flavour change.

    One or two of my mates could do with a good ass kicking, believe me.
    My knee feels good today. Keep off certain foods and I don't see any reason why i cant use that bike today. At last. I was getting a bit embarrassed by having excuse after excuse. Even though they wern't excuses. Cheers blue.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •