Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 20

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Sol;
    Yes, of all the symptoms / suffering I had when stopping drinking, the inability to sleep was by far the worst. That and waking up suddenly panicked like I was suffocating or something. Do you have that?

The exercise will really help when you're up to it, and I know it is different from person to person but for me it just sort of gradually went away. I started sleeping short blocks fairly well, and after awhile they got longer and deeper. If you have the urge to nap, even in the middle of the day, and you can--do that. Even lying down and resting for 15-20 minutes. It helps your body relearn what natural tiredness signals are again. It will come so hang in there.

If you want a general chat forum just start another thread. Lots of UK folk here will also be waiting for football season and others most likely feel like you do. Doesn't mean you can't have this thread too, or even just start a journal with the topics you want as your discussion posts. People pick up on that and join in. What are your hobbies, anyway?
    Last edited by missblue; 07-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol. Happy to hear you're doing so well. We do have a general chat section. It's the Odds and Ends pages. I usually keep up somewhat with the Nutrition, Odds and Ends, and Research, well not 'keep up', but at least read what interests me. In research we're having an interesting (to me) chat on ancient bread making, in response to a research paper testing the effects on Einkorn wheat on celiacs. There were no ill effects on them for the length of the test, which wasn't so very long.

Last night, while sitting with my legs up in a recliner, I noticed that my lower right leg, below the calf, is larger than the left. I looked at it, got up and walked around and looked at it, and was convinced that it was. I asked my husband to look at it - he said he didn't see any difference. So I got a tape measure and measured it, twice. It's smaller. I measured the calves. Smaller. That's impossible.

The circulation in my right leg is very low, very bad. The doctor says I'll loose that leg if I don't walk. I haven't been walking because 1) I'm too weak, 2) It's too hot. etc. Yesterday I was going to go to the gym to walk and lift weights but it was too hot and I got too involved in this site - too involved to eat breakfast. I had breakfast at 2pm and dinner at 6. I have got to get on a more steady schedule.

So last night my heart was racing from fear; Oh my God, no right leg. This morning when I got up I went walking and walked around the block, 1.5 miles. Never thought I could do that. Fear is useful. Tonight I'll do it again - if it's not too hot.

I'm scheduled to quit smoking on 7/22 when the class starts. I have the Wellbutin pills and an inhaler they prescribed. That's going to be really hard, I've smoked for 53 years - thumbed my nose at the doctors and enjoyed it. Now it may cost me my right leg.

After that, maybe 6 months, next I'll work on learning to sleep without prescription aids. Doctors gave them to me in response to a mild complaint of insomnia and now I'm addicted to them. Can't sleep without them. It seems to me that, after retirement, doctors will give me anything I ask for - maybe on the idea that the elderly have a short remaining life span so it doesn't matter. Before they gave me the pills I slept very well, it just took about 1 hour to get to sleep. I'm jealous because it takes my husband no more than 10 minutes. So I complained. I sure wish I hadn't.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    Hi Sol;
    Yes, of all the symptoms / suffering I had when stopping drinking, the inability to sleep was by far the worst. That and waking up suddenly panicked like I was suffocating or something. Do you have that?

The exercise will really help when you're up to it, and I know it is different from person to person but for me it just sort of gradually went away. I started sleeping short blocks fairly well, and after awhile they got longer and deeper. If you have the urge to nap, even in the middle of the day, and you can--do that. Even lying down and resting for 15-20 minutes. It helps your body relearn what natural tiredness signals are again. It will come so hang in there.

If you want a general chat forum just start another thread. Lots of UK folk here will also be waiting for football season and others most likely feel like you do. Doesn't mean you can't have this thread too, or even just start a journal with the topics you want as your discussion posts. People pick up on that and join in. What are your hobbies, anyway?

Hi blue, I've been getting the panic thing too. I'm not falling asleep till silly o clock, seven or eight in the morning. Even then I'll be lucky to sleep for three hours. I don't know how my body can do it. I'm very tired now but in a couple of hours I'll be totally wide awake, mind racing in overtime.

Haven't had any pain killers today, the knee was not bad enough so I did without. That bike is almost about to get it's first ride,(it's a stationary bike actually but I'll use my imagination)

Hobbies are nothing worth noting, sport, Sunderland afc, music reading and the usual things. I've thought about seeing if the local collage does any night courses on computing, ect. I've discovered two new hobbies this week come to think of it. Exercising with weights,and dare I say it?....... Cooking. I've enjoyed cooking. Proper cooking, in a kitchen, with proper pans and things.
    Sometimes I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Hi Sol. Happy to hear you're doing so well. We do have a general chat section. It's the Odds and Ends pages. I usually keep up somewhat with the Nutrition, Odds and Ends, and Research, well not 'keep up', but at least read what interests me. In research we're having an interesting (to me) chat on ancient bread making, in response to a research paper testing the effects on Einkorn wheat on celiacs. There were no ill effects on them for the length of the test, which wasn't so very long.

Last night, while sitting with my legs up in a recliner, I noticed that my lower right leg, below the calf, is larger than the left. I looked at it, got up and walked around and looked at it, and was convinced that it was. I asked my husband to look at it - he said he didn't see any difference. So I got a tape measure and measured it, twice. It's smaller. I measured the calves. Smaller. That's impossible.

The circulation in my right leg is very low, very bad. The doctor says I'll loose that leg if I don't walk. I haven't been walking because 1) I'm too weak, 2) It's too hot. etc. Yesterday I was going to go to the gym to walk and lift weights but it was too hot and I got too involved in this site - too involved to eat breakfast. I had breakfast at 2pm and dinner at 6. I have got to get on a more steady schedule.

So last night my heart was racing from fear; Oh my God, no right leg. This morning when I got up I went walking and walked around the block, 1.5 miles. Never thought I could do that. Fear is useful. Tonight I'll do it again - if it's not too hot.

I'm scheduled to quit smoking on 7/22 when the class starts. I have the Wellbutin pills and an inhaler they prescribed. That's going to be really hard, I've smoked for 53 years - thumbed my nose at the doctors and enjoyed it. Now it may cost me my right leg.

After that, maybe 6 months, next I'll work on learning to sleep without prescription aids. Doctors gave them to me in response to a mild complaint of insomnia and now I'm addicted to them. Can't sleep without them. It seems to me that, after retirement, doctors will give me anything I ask for - maybe on the idea that the elderly have a short remaining life span so it doesn't matter. Before they gave me the pills I slept very well, it just took about 1 hour to get to sleep. I'm jealous because it takes my husband no more than 10 minutes. So I complained. I sure wish I hadn't.

Have a good day.
    Thanks crypto, I'll check out odd's and ends and research.
    Oh dear, I hope your leg sorts itself out soon. Never too hot here even in the summer.

It will be hard to quit smoking but you really can't afford not to. Good luck with that, I'll be routing for you.

Hope I'm not inappropriate by saying I would do anything to get some sleeping pill, I've asked doc numerous times but it's a no go. I hope you beat this addiction also. You're making me realise that in having one addiction myself I should be thankful that it could be a whole lot worse. It takes me seven or eight hours to get to sleep so I beat you on that one. ( want to swap?)

Good luck with everything crypto. Wishing you the very best.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post

when i started walking and got thinner legs and got muscle myleft leg was considerably littler(i had a cva that damaged my left side) consciously and consistently leading with that leg when walking has made a massive difference.

regarding smoking if you can get the quickmist device and they are unbelievably effective- its how I stopped. Ive tried everything else before. NICORETTE® QuickMist Mouthspray. | Nicorette
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol and awok;
    Nope, I'm not "normal' nor do I do I aspire to normality in any form
    I am having a very good day as I have just ordered two groovy guitars on sale to add to my growing collection.
    Good for you, missblue. My family has always 'collected' musical instruments, much as we also collect cars and boats. After all, if one is good, several must be better, right? My brother has a guitar collection and my father, recorders and harmonicas. I tend to go for one of each - guitar, harmonica, recorder, keyboard - though of course none of them really gets much playing time and none of them currently.

awok, I read your journal when you first started (I'm a bit behind due to too much work at the moment) and what you are doing for your father is very admirable. You are clearly a wonderful son and human being. I was a caregiver too for my mother who was late-stage emphasema (can't spell but you know the smoking lung disease) and alcoholic. She got lung cancer as well as time went on so I know what you mean about the gradual descent compared to them passing quickly with a heart attack or something in their sleep. I felt kind of guilty hoping that would happen but in the end it did. Quiet and peacefully while sleeping but as I mentioned earlier here, I was not there.

Meanwhile, I hope you are coping, as Sol suggested, with the daily drain of caregiving by caring as much a possible for yourself. Feel free to vent here as the frustrating things build up at times. Better out than in.
    Missblue, thanks for your concern. Yeah, since my father spends a lot of time asleep or watching dvds, this is an opportunity for me to take a bit of a time-out for myself from life really. I do my best to focus on myself and my future etc and what I want to do with my life after. It's a just a bit constraining physically and of course in that I can't really cook some things that my father won't eat, like stews, curries etc. But to be honest with you, it's a pretty lazy lifestyle really.

My mother was a functioning alcoholic. She started to develop Parkinson's-like symptoms that weren't Parkinson's because they didn't respond to the medications, but she was never truthful with the doctors about her alcohol consumption and I'm pretty sure it was a factor in the symptoms - like hand tremor and difficulty speaking - and also in the brain haemorrhage that killed her. Though I'm now also aware that some of the symptoms could have been the result of various SBD-invoked deficiencies like Vit B12, Vit D etc, as I think they've contributed to my father's condition.

One things I must confess guys, as a Yank I just don't get the tennis thing. The ball goes back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I do like to watch everyone in the audience watch the games because of the entrained movement. Funny.
    No offense given, I hope. . . all in fun
    LOL. It's a strange thing but most of the UK couldn't care about tennis either - except for 2 weeks of the year. Possibly because it's one of those traditional events that marks the passage of the year - like the Grand National (horse race) and the University Boat Race (rowing 8s) and it's a single event that we're proud of as a country.

It's not something I generally follow, but when there's a match on and I have the inclination or motivation (want to see how Murray does because he's a Brit and Djokovic because of his gluten-free/paleo diet) I enjoy it. It's in the details, a bit like cricket and NFL. You have to sit down and watch the whole thing, but if you concentrate on every stroke and where it's landing, then you get to see the progression of a rally where, though a player might return a ball, he's then out of position and the other player has the opportunity to win the point - but only if he gets the ball in exactly the right place. Just like cricket is about each ball bowled, but only really in the context of the balls that have gone before and the match as a whole. Tennis is more reactive, but there's still tactics and strategy involved.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    That must be a massive mental pressure and responsibility caring 24/7 for an alzheimers sufferer and even more so with being your dad. That's great that he's responded well to the changes you have made regarding his diet. Are you doing this alone? Can't you get help from family or social services?
    Well, I get on well with him because we like a lot of the same things, but if he was okay he'd probably be happy enough on his own as I am, so there's no big emotional thing going on. And yes, I have my brother and his wife, but they're 3hrs away by car and he's busy with his work, which isn't a 9-5 job. So he's handling all the financial stuff and red tape and I'm just doing the running around. When it's all over, it'll be his headache to sort out and I'm very happy with that.

As for social services. Well, I guess I'm just a bit of a control freak, but I don't want to put him under any extra stress by having strangers in - also I'm reluctant to give strangers access to the house until it's absolutely necessary. Currently I'm okay with it and I don't want anything to prompt a downturn unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I have a lot of respect for my father and how he's lived his life and looked after us as his family, so I want to give him as much quality of life as I can.

It puts in to context someone like me who has willingly abused myself for twenty odd years and it is shameful.
    Mr awok is a very lucky man to have you, and you are a credit to him and yourself. Total respect and I wish you the very very best. Take care of yourself when you find the time.
    You really are a jewel. Good things are waiting for you. Sol.
    The thing is, that we're living in a modern environment that encourages us into behaviour that's bad for us, and it doesn't really matter whether we're virtuously following guidelines or not. To be honest, the fact that you've put yourself in a position where you've had to go looking for ways to heal yourself means you're going to be ahead of the game in later life. Just like I didn't really bother about putting the pounds on and definitely avoided 'healthy' eating, which led me to low carbing and then paleo/primal. My father kept himself in shape but I blame CW for the position he's in now, when he's not capable of sorting himself out.

And my mother (who followed CW) was what I would class as a moderate 'middle-class' drinker, which means that she was drinking far more than would currently be termed moderate. But she grew up in the 30s and 40s influenced by a surgeon brother-in-law (think whisky and cigars) and then was supplied by my father's home-brewing of wine and sparkling wine until they retired, when caravanning gave them access to cheap continental wine. I estimated that in her last few years of work she was probably drinking as much as 14 units a day, while the last year of her life (when she was on warfarin) it was still as much as 10 units a day. But by that time she was incapable of seeing what it was doing to her health and anyone mentioning drink and health caused her to burst into tears or get angry.

So there is a way of looking at your situation as better than those who never face up to more moderate abuse of alcohol and who never bother to look for a way to make their lives better.

And, Sol, the cooking? Go for it, mate. If there's something you really enjoy doing, it's well worth seeing if you can find a way to make it a bigger part of your life. Now's the time to do the research and brainstorm business ideas or just ways you might like to take it forwards. You may have to start with the work and job you know, to stabilise yourself financially, but it doesn't have to be forever. (Speaking from experience, having given up IT support to concentrate on writing. )
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Cooking, shussss, if my mates find out they might beat me up.

New tesco opened in Sunderland last week, had a look in couple of nights ago. Ooppsy yellow sticker corner( scratters corner in Sunderland speak) I got £18 pounds worth of meat for £3.70. Gerrin.

Two lambs necks, haven't got a clue what to do with these mind.
    Lots of chicken breast. Lately come to favour dark meat, thighs and legs, but I'm not complaining.
    Turkey breasts aswell.

All proportioned and frozen.
    Large jar of sauerkraut in as*a £1.34
    Two for £1.19 in said supermarket.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    are the necks fillet or boned, if they're fillets make kebabs mmmmm. if theyre boned wonderful stew with some veg
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Cooking, shussss, if my mates find out they might beat me up.

New tesco opened in Sunderland last week, had a look in couple of nights ago. Ooppsy yellow sticker corner( scratters corner in Sunderland speak) I got £18 pounds worth of meat for £3.70. Gerrin.

Two lambs necks, haven't got a clue what to do with these mind.
    Lots of chicken breast. Lately come to favour dark meat, thighs and legs, but I'm not complaining.
    Turkey breasts aswell.

All proportioned and frozen.
    Large jar of sauerkraut in as*a £1.34
    Two for £1.19 in said supermarket.

Yum ! Lamb neck. Try this
    In a slow cooker or a large pot- brown the seasoned with s&p necks then add chopped onion and carrot with a tin of whole tomatoes and cook until the meat is falling off the bone ( the longer the better). Next step eat and slurp up the sauce!

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast