Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 19

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post

It's funny cos if I didn't fancy the walking and cycling I would be trouble free, however, because I'm eager to get going it won't let let me, sigh! Good day at work?
    I know exactly what you mean. Don't worry--the knees will get better. You are really doing a full on system reboot and that does take a bit of time. It took me close to two months for the swelling and discharge in my throat area to clear, but after that it's been great. Totally worth the wait.

Work is going very well. I also recently started back to my yoga class this week and that helps me manage the neck pain I get from too much desk work at work. I always sort of dismissed yoga in the past as not "real" exercise like lifting weights or running which was foolish on my part. It is very challenging but in a good way. I am getting more flexible and in touch with my body than I have ever been. I have found that the muscles seem to "store" memory in a way. Sometimes I break up a knot or get some kind of release in the connective tissue and I get flooded with emotion and memory. Very odd but I've seen other accounts of it so I know it isn't unique to me.

How's the diet going? I'm still a little concerned you aren't getting enough calories / fat. Since I've been doing Paleo / Primal, I've really learned you have to eat fat for the body to release fat, which seems so counter-intuitive to what we've been told all our lives. Even if you are low-carb, I also think veggies help you "package" the toxins out of the body more easily. Lots of mostly cabbage bubble and squeak, made with bacon perhaps?

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. Don't worry--the knees will get better. You are really doing a full on system reboot and that does take a bit of time. It took me close to two months for the swelling and discharge in my throat area to clear, but after that it's been great. Totally worth the wait.

Work is going very well. I also recently started back to my yoga class this week and that helps me manage the neck pain I get from too much desk work at work. I always sort of dismissed yoga in the past as not "real" exercise like lifting weights or running which was foolish on my part. It is very challenging but in a good way. I am getting more flexible and in touch with my body than I have ever been. I have found that the muscles seem to "store" memory in a way. Sometimes I break up a knot or get some kind of release in the connective tissue and I get flooded with emotion and memory. Very odd but I've seen other accounts of it so I know it isn't unique to me.

How's the diet going? I'm still a little concerned you aren't getting enough calories / fat. Since I've been doing Paleo / Primal, I've really learned you have to eat fat for the body to release fat, which seems so counter-intuitive to what we've been told all our lives. Even if you are low-carb, I also think veggies help you "package" the toxins out of the body more easily. Lots of mostly cabbage bubble and squeak, made with bacon perhaps?

Pleased things a going well for you. Don't know anything about yoga but if it's working for you then great.
    The diet is spot on full primal. I'm also wondering about if I'm eating enough calories especially fat. Still have a little bit of fat fear although Im not as fastidious about going to great lengths to remove it.

Have been considering a bit of carbs a couple of times a week but so far it hasn't happened. Still eating one meal every 24 hours but I'm so used to it now. I'm getting into cooking (yes cooking, me! Honestly.) made a big pot of PB chilli last night witch I will freeze into portions. My next adventure is shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower and swede topping. I spend hours on the recipe pages here. If my mates could see this now
    The fridge used to be for keeping my beer cold, it's full of goodness now.

FTM

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sol, I haven't been reading for a few days, so just catching up now. How are you enjoying wimbledon? I've been watching Murray's matches and Djokovich and random others. I couldn't care less about other tournaments, but Wimbledon always exerts that bit of magic - the sound of tennis ball on racquet, a bit like leather on willow.

Congrats on your continued non-drinking. I can also imagine, if you're getting plenty of protein and fat in your meal that you're not hungry for the rest of the day. If you're losing weight and eating enough to fuel exercise, of whatever level, stick with it.

Sounds like you're in a great place to enjoy the outdoors - make the most of it. I wish I had more freedom to get out and about but I'll get it back eventually.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Hey Sol, I haven't been reading for a few days, so just catching up now. How are you enjoying wimbledon? I've been watching Murray's matches and Djokovich and random others. I couldn't care less about other tournaments, but Wimbledon always exerts that bit of magic - the sound of tennis ball on racquet, a bit like leather on willow.

Congrats on your continued non-drinking. I can also imagine, if you're getting plenty of protein and fat in your meal that you're not hungry for the rest of the day. If you're losing weight and eating enough to fuel exercise, of whatever level, stick with it.

Sounds like you're in a great place to enjoy the outdoors - make the most of it. I wish I had more freedom to get out and about but I'll get it back eventually.

Hi awok, been a strange tournament this year with early exits and injuries. Murray has won since you posted this.

Plenty of protein, moderate fat and low carbs seems to be the diet. Three weeks today AF.
    Hope you get back what you are wishing for. Good luck.

Thanks awok.

I don't mean to be nosy, and feel free to tell me to piss off, but wondering how the weight loss is going.
    On a once-a-day meal plan that's low carb, I would think it would be melting off depending on the amount of healing going on in the gut as the grains clear.

The shepherd's pie sounds amazing. I was addicted to that stuff when living in Ireland. Had a local that made a tasty one and also had good Guinness. I think I was there three or four days a week to have it. Isn't delicious healthy food wonderful compensation for the drink? Opening a fridge with quality consumables all for me, or plenty to share, is a happy thing. . .

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi awok, been a strange tournament this year with early exits and injuries. Murray has won since you posted this.
    Yup, watched the first 2 sets on laptop, then mostly heard the 3rd as I was preparing dinner then missed half the 4th and most of the fifth eating dinner. Finally switched on the tv to watch the last 2 games of the match. Wow. And my father is like - oh, look what they're doing. Yes, it's tennis, it's Wimbledon. But it means nothing to him now. Which is why I can't watch on tv because he can't follow the concept of a match. He can't really follow the motor-racing, but as he likes seeing fast cars generally he mostly enjoys seeing them go round the corners or fast along the straights and hearing the engines. And I insist on watching the races in HD, though have to mostly watch Free Practices and qualifying on the laptop.

Anyway, I suspect that hard-fought match did wonders for Murray's confidence, knowing he can come back from a 2 set deficit. And it's not like the Spaniard (Verdasco?) really did much wrong in the match, he just wasn't quite good enough to finish the job.

Plenty of protein, moderate fat and low carbs seems to be the diet. Three weeks today AF.
    Hope you get back what you are wishing for. Good luck.

Thanks awok.
    Woohoo! Three weeks, excellent. Well done.

Well, being that my father is 93, he's not going to live forever, so yes, eventually I'll have my own life again. But of course when I moved in to look after him, he was 91 and I thought, given the deterioration of the Alzheimer's, he wouldn't last more than a few years. Of course, now I've taken wheat out of his diet and reduced his general carb intake and bad oils and got him on coconut oil, well, he's definitely maintaining, if not improving slightly. So now I'm looking after a 93 yr old Alzheimer's sufferer, 24/7, and he looks set to go for his century at this rate! Of course I'll be much happier to see him go suddenly to a stroke or heart attack than the slide into mental and physical incompetence that is dementia, but yeah, for the moment I really have little freedom in my life as everything I do impacts on him.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Yup, watched the first 2 sets on laptop, then mostly heard the 3rd as I was preparing dinner then missed half the 4th and most of the fifth eating dinner. Finally switched on the tv to watch the last 2 games of the match. Wow. And my father is like - oh, look what they're doing. Yes, it's tennis, it's Wimbledon. But it means nothing to him now. Which is why I can't watch on tv because he can't follow the concept of a match. He can't really follow the motor-racing, but as he likes seeing fast cars generally he mostly enjoys seeing them go round the corners or fast along the straights and hearing the engines. And I insist on watching the races in HD, though have to mostly watch Free Practices and qualifying on the laptop.

Anyway, I suspect that hard-fought match did wonders for Murray's confidence, knowing he can come back from a 2 set deficit. And it's not like the Spaniard (Verdasco?) really did much wrong in the match, he just wasn't quite good enough to finish the job.

Woohoo! Three weeks, excellent. Well done.

Well, being that my father is 93, he's not going to live forever, so yes, eventually I'll have my own life again. But of course when I moved in to look after him, he was 91 and I thought, given the deterioration of the Alzheimer's, he wouldn't last more than a few years. Of course, now I've taken wheat out of his diet and reduced his general carb intake and bad oils and got him on coconut oil, well, he's definitely maintaining, if not improving slightly. So now I'm looking after a 93 yr old Alzheimer's sufferer, 24/7, and he looks set to go for his century at this rate! Of course I'll be much happier to see him go suddenly to a stroke or heart attack than the slide into mental and physical incompetence that is dementia, but yeah, for the moment I really have little freedom in my life as everything I do impacts on him.

Hi, awok, can't agree more about Murray, though must admit I thought he was going to duff it. Good luck to the lad. It's about time we had a uk champion.

That must be a massive mental pressure and responsibility caring 24/7 for an alzheimers sufferer and even more so with being your dad. That's great that he's responded well to the changes you have made regarding his diet. Are you doing this alone? Can't you get help from family or social services?

It puts in to context someone like me who has willingly abused myself for twenty odd years and it is shameful.
    Mr awok is a very lucky man to have you, and you are a credit to him and yourself. Total respect and I wish you the very very best. Take care of yourself when you find the time.
    You really are a jewel. Good things are waiting for you. Sol.

I don't mean to be nosy, and feel free to tell me to piss off, but wondering how the weight loss is going.
    On a once-a-day meal plan that's low carb, I would think it would be melting off depending on the amount of healing going on in the gut as the grains clear.

The shepherd's pie sounds amazing. I was addicted to that stuff when living in Ireland. Had a local that made a tasty one and also had good Guinness. I think I was there three or four days a week to have it. Isn't delicious healthy food wonderful compensation for the drink? Opening a fridge with quality consumables all for me, or plenty to share, is a happy thing. . .

Twenty two pounds so far, it's steady on a pound a day.
    Hmmm Guinness, the dark stuff. It's good for you apparently, well not you and I obviously, but to normal people. I'm not implying you are anything but normal it's just...... I'm digging myself a hole here so I'll shut up now.
    Hope you had a good day.

Hi Sol and awok;
    Nope, I'm not "normal' nor do I do I aspire to normality in any form
    I am having a very good day as I have just ordered two groovy guitars on sale to add to my growing collection.
    Music has been on my bucket list for 30 plus years, and I'm finally getting back to it. I have so much time since I quit drinking as well as motivation to do things like this. It's something else to look forward to my friend. Stuff you thought was long gone suddenly seems possible. Well, most things. . . I don't aspire to the figure I once had then as gravity has already done some evil work (not PC but I hope OK to say)

That's amazing! A pound a day is like the big "whoosh" they talk about on this forum.
    Do you find the weight loss helping with sleep yet? I don't know if you have any sleep apnea from the weight
    but that should help a great deal if so.

awok, I read your journal when you first started (I'm a bit behind due to too much work at the moment) and what you are doing for your father is very admirable. You are clearly a wonderful son and human being. I was a caregiver too for my mother who was late-stage emphasema (can't spell but you know the smoking lung disease) and alcoholic. She got lung cancer as well as time went on so I know what you mean about the gradual descent compared to them passing quickly with a heart attack or something in their sleep. I felt kind of guilty hoping that would happen but in the end it did. Quiet and peacefully while sleeping but as I mentioned earlier here, I was not there.

Meanwhile, I hope you are coping, as Sol suggested, with the daily drain of caregiving by caring as much a possible for yourself. Feel free to vent here as the frustrating things build up at times. Better out than in.

One things I must confess guys, as a Yank I just don't get the tennis thing. The ball goes back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I do like to watch everyone in the audience watch the games because of the entrained movement. Funny.
    No offense given, I hope. . . all in fun

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Sol and awok;
    Nope, I'm not "normal' nor do I do I aspire to normality in any form
    I am having a very good day as I have just ordered two groovy guitars on sale to add to my growing collection.
    Music has been on my bucket list for 30 plus years, and I'm finally getting back to it. I have so much time since I quit drinking as well as motivation to do things like this. It's something else to look forward to my friend. Stuff you thought was long gone suddenly seems possible. Well, most things.
    . . I don't aspire to the figure I once had then as gravity has already done some evil work (not PC but I hope OK to say)

That's amazing! A pound a day is like the big "whoosh" they talk about on this forum.
    Do you find the weight loss helping with sleep yet? I don't know if you have any sleep apnea from the weight
    but that should help a great deal if so.

awok, I read your journal when you first started (I'm a bit behind due to too much work at the moment) and what you are doing for your father is very admirable. You are clearly a wonderful son and human being. I was a caregiver too for my mother who was late-stage emphasema (can't spell but you know the smoking lung disease) and alcoholic. She got lung cancer as well as time went on so I know what you mean about the gradual descent compared to them passing quickly with a heart attack or something in their sleep. I felt kind of guilty hoping that would happen but in the end it did. Quiet and peacefully while sleeping but as I mentioned earlier here, I was not there.

Meanwhile, I hope you are coping, as Sol suggested, with the daily drain of caregiving by caring as much a possible for yourself. Feel free to vent here as the frustrating things build up at times. Better out than in.

One things I must confess guys, as a Yank I just don't get the tennis thing. The ball goes back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I do like to watch everyone in the audience watch the games because of the entrained movement. Funny.
    No offense given, I hope. . . all in fun

Blue, delighted with a pound a day. No, I still can't sleep, it's exhausting.

Can't wait for the football (soccer) season to start here again. August 17th. Sunderland afc till I die.
    Wish we had a general chat section to talk about sport, music, every day occurrences, news, hobbies and just anything of interest. That would be great.

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast