Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 17

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    I've had throbbing toothache all night and getting it extracted in two hours. I'm dreading it.
    Any stories? Including horror stories. One hour and 58 mins now
    tooth will be out by now i'd imagine so youll be feeling better i hope but maybe a bit sore. I had an emergency extraction a couple of Saturdays ago due to a tooth that fractured straight through. I've been doing this very low carb ketogenic diet and much as I'd like to say it was on a bone it was actually on an orange skittle-the husband was eating a packet and threw me an orange skittle (my favourite). like the highly talented individual I am I caught it between my teeth but when I bit on the bugger 1/3 tooth sheared off and 1/3 folded sideways- a big mess
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-30-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Good luck on the tooth! Hope by the time you read this you are feeling much better and out of pain.
    Cheers ex.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    tooth will be out by now i'd imagine so youll be feeling better i hope but maybe a bit sore. I had an emergency extraction a couple of Saturdays ago due to a tooth that fractured straight through. I've been doing this very low carb ketogenic diet and much as I'd like to say it was on a bone it was actually on an orange skittle-the husband was eating a packet and threw me an orange skittle (my favourite). like the highly talented individual I am I caught it between my teeth but when I bit on the bugger 1/3 tooth sheared off and 1/3 folded sideways- a big mess

Blimey carbs, that's a bit unlucky. If he threw a red one you probably would have missed it.

Back now from dentist. Wouldn't remove tooth because of abscess, got antibiotics and it's already much better.

A dozen or so people in waiting room all with chins resting in palms with the look of terror on their faces.

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sol,

Sorry to hear about the tooth! Dentist give me the heebie-jeebies too. I take garlic oil pearles (just from the supermarket) which help clear up infections too.

Just a thought- with your diet, are you choosing to eat once a day b/c you aren't hungry? Weight loss?
    I know there is a lot of info on this site about Intermittent Fasting, and while Im sure it works, just go easy on your body- it'll be adjusting to not having booze in the system so you dont want to add in any other stressors.

The weight will fall off fast enough I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by heatherp View Post
    Hey Sol,

Sorry to hear about the tooth! Dentist give me the heebie-jeebies too. I take garlic oil pearles (just from the supermarket) which help clear up infections too.

Just a thought- with your diet, are you choosing to eat once a day b/c you aren't hungry? Weight loss?
    I know there is a lot of info on this site about Intermittent Fasting, and while Im sure it works, just go easy on your body- it'll be adjusting to not having booze in the system so you dont want to add in any other stressors.

The weight will fall off fast enough I'm sure!

Much better now, thanks.
    One meal a day, not hungry at all. Probably because the food I am eating is nutritious and heavy on protein apposed to the junk I used to eat.

Weight loss is my main concern and can't wait to start exercising, probably tomorrow. I thought I would of had to replace the empty calories from beer but i just don't feel hungry. Lucky me!

I'm losing quickly from all over, wish I could focus on belly but I know that it doesn't work that way.

Thanks Heath.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol;
    I was away for the weekend (really just offline and resting after a tough few weeks at work) but am back and sorry to hear about your tooth.
    I'm a total chickenshit at the dentist and beg for both laughing gas and a shot so that I could care less what they're doing when the moment comes. That is my non-brave, non-drugfree suggestion. I've endured serious burns, multiple fractures (I used to train horses) and other pain fairly well. Go figure.
    It's great you are losing so fast. When you said you were eating one meal a day I was a little concerned you were getting enough calories. Even if you aren't hungry, maybe some "bullet-proof" coffee / tea might be a good way to sneak in some fuel which your body will burn without turning to fat, especially if you're exercising.

The tooth reminds me of the swollen throat / glands I had the first two months when I stopped drinking. It was detox city and I had plenty to process. Do you think it might be something like that, or was it already in the making? You will need some probiotics after the antibiotics to keep the flora happy in the gut, but having the tooth out will most likely feel great after all that pain. I have also heard about people who fast sometimes getting symptoms like mouth abscesses, boils, etc. as the body gets stuff out as fast as possible. The accounts mention that sometimes the tooth heals and there is no problem after the toxins are expelled. I'm not saying this is what is going on, but it is interesting and given my own body's response to detoxing it doesn't seem so far-fetched. Just food for thought. . .

You'll be at the "one month" milestone soon and that is truly something to be proud of. I also think you will notice things get a bit easier as the habits start to form and your body really gets down to healing itself. About a month in it started to dawn on me that this major life change was a real possibility and something I could actually control. That was an amazing moment. I had always thought I was "doomed" to drink based on genetics and long-term lifestyle choices I had made. It ain't so, is it?

So, now that you are feeling good enough to exercise, please tell us about the green way you are near--I hear England has many such places for public use and I'd like to know more about how they work if you don't mind.

thanks for the note
    blue
    Last edited by missblue; 06-30-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    Hi Sol;
    I was away for the weekend (really just offline and resting after a tough few weeks at work) but am back and sorry to hear about your tooth.
    I'm a total chickenshit at the dentist and beg for both laughing gas and a shot so that I could care less what they're doing when the moment comes. That is my non-brave, non-drugfree suggestion. I've endured serious burns, multiple fractures (I used to train horses) and other pain fairly well. Go figure.
    It's great you are losing so fast. When you said you were eating one meal a day I was a little concerned you were getting enough calories. Even if you aren't hungry, maybe some "bullet-proof" coffee / tea might be a good way to sneak in some fuel which your body will burn without turning to fat, especially if you're exercising.

The tooth reminds me of the swollen throat / glands I had the first two months when I stopped drinking. It was detox city and I had plenty to process. Do you think it might be something like that, or was it already in the making? You will need some probiotics after the antibiotics to keep the flora happy in the gut, but having the tooth out will most likely feel great after all that pain. I have also heard about people who fast sometimes getting symptoms like mouth abscesses, boils, etc. as the body gets stuff out as fast as possible. The accounts mention that sometimes the tooth heals and there is no problem after the toxins are expelled. I'm not saying this is what is going on, but it is interesting and given my own body's response to detoxing it doesn't seem so far-fetched. Just food for thought. . .

You'll be at the "one month" milestone soon and that is truly something to be proud of. I also think you will notice things get a bit easier as the habits start to form and your body really gets down to healing itself. About a month in it started to dawn on me that this major life change was a real possibility and something I could actually control. That was an amazing moment. I had always thought I was "doomed" to drink based on genetics and long-term lifestyle choices I had made. It ain't so, is it?

So, now that you are feeling good enough to exercise, please tell us about the green way you are near--I hear England has many such places for public use and I'd like to know more about how they work if you don't mind.

thanks for the note
    blue

Hi blue, glad you're back and hope things settle down.
    Went to the dentist on Thursday to have some routine work done. The dentist (I swear he was nearly seventeen) caught my back tooth with his chisel. Total accident although it hurt like hell. Woke up on Saturday with throbbing toothache and abcess. Emergency appointment on Sunday but they refused to remove it. Antibiotics for a week. It's fine now.

First month approaching, who would've thought? Certainly not me or anyone who knows me!
    I also thought I was doomed to be this way forever. But reading your thoughts on your own experience I can look forward to my own way of dealing with and controlling this situation. It is getting easier with time.

I live a couple of hundred yards away from a ski slope and recreational area with lakes and sports facilities. Tennis club, football field, running track and even a gym. Can't afford it at the moment but it dosen't cost anything to walk around the development.

We have a lot of green belt land and country side in north east England where I live, all free to explore and very pretty on the eye. I also live in walking distance of the coast, the north sea, with beaches and piers and all that comes with it.

I'm going to start my exercising today so that should be something to laugh about.

Take care blue.
    Last edited by Sol blackcat; 07-01-2013 at 02:41 AM.

jacmac is online now Senior Member
    Wow Sol I leave your journal for a week and look at you cruising along even with challenges like your tooth you are still holding strong. Good for you!
    Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Wow Sol I leave your journal for a week and look at you cruising along even with challenges like your tooth you are still holding strong. Good for you!
    Keep on keeping on.
    Ha ha, thanks jacmac. You been somewhere nice?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol, I found your thread. Do think about starting a journal page. We'll all follow you there.

Huge Congratulations on your sucess to date. That takes incredible will power. I wouldn't push the exercising too much, maybe some slow walking.

How's you sleep? Enough alcohol ruins your nervous system. Really well. The sheath around each nerve ending is completely destroyed, gone. Literally raw nerves. Thus the nerves and muscles they serve never relax. Thus, no sleep and a lot of other bad results.

There is something you can do to help. It won't speed up the ability to relax but after you are able to relax it will help being able to sleep. That's meditation. I went to a Univ. class on it locally. Had an Indian Bio-chemistry PhD instructor. Odd. When I walked in the classroom there was a beautiful picture of a foamy, frothy glass of beer on the front screen. The foam was spilling down the outside of the glass onto a table top. I almost walked out.

The teacher likened this to your mind. All day, every minute, stimulus is entering your mind. Your nervous system is supposed to be able to process it in real time, so to speak, but our lives or alcohol make a huge overload on it and it fails to complete processing, resulting in the 'spilling over' effects in the picture. Then when you sleep the processing completes, sometimes; often not; due to overload. Meditation can complete the process. It's purpose is to turn off the conscious mind. Stop it from running, or from doing anything at all.

It does work. After your nervous system rebuilds you may still have trouble sleeping from very low carb dieting. With meditation you can relax the nervous system and each muscle in your body. Gives you something to do at night, and at least your body gets good rest from it.

You might also consider going to an evening AA meeting. They are so phenomenally boring they may help with sleep.

Relaxing can only come with health, with enough vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants to enable those nerve ending sheaths to re-grow. That takes time. Really good supplements can help, if you can afford them. It will happen. Don't give up. One day, you will just fall asleep.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-01-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Hi Sol, I found your thread. Do think about starting a journal page. We'll all follow you there.

Huge Congratulations on your sucess to date. That takes incredible will power. I wouldn't push the exercising too much, maybe some slow walking.

How's you sleep? Enough alcohol ruins your nervous system. Really well. The sheath around each nerve ending is completely destroyed, gone. Literally raw nerves. Thus the nerves and muscles they serve never relax. Thus, no sleep and a lot of other bad results.

There is something you can do to help. It won't speed up the ability to relax but after you are able to relax it will help being able to sleep. That's meditation. I went to a Univ. class on it locally. Had an Indian Bio-chemistry PhD instructor. Odd. When I walked in the classroom there was a beautiful picture of a foamy, frothy glass of beer on the front screen. The foam was spilling down the outside of the glass onto a table top. I almost walked out.

The teacher likened this to your mind. All day, every minute, stimulus is entering your mind. Your nervous system is supposed to be able to process it in real time, so to speak, but our lives or alcohol make a huge overload on it and it fails to complete processing, resulting in the 'spilling over' effects in the picture. Then when you sleep the processing completes, sometimes; often not; due to overload. Meditation can complete the process. It's purpose is to turn off the conscious mind. Stop it from running, or from doing anything at all.

It does work. After your nervous system rebuilds you may still have trouble sleeping from very low carb dieting. With meditation you can relax the nervous system and each muscle in your body. Gives you something to do at night, and at least your body gets good rest from it.

You might also consider going to an evening AA meeting. They are so phenomenally boring they may help with sleep.

Relaxing can only come with health, with enough vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants to enable those nerve ending sheaths to re-grow. That takes time. Really good supplements can help, if you can afford them. It will happen. Don't give up. One day, you will just fall asleep.
    Hi crypto, I have always been a very poor sleeper from being at school. When I discovered alcohol would get me to sleep, that was the beginning of alcoholism. I started drinking around seventeen. By time I was twenty I was doing 8 half litre cans a night.

Approaching thirty I was up to 12 cans a night, every night. Cheap horrible lager at 5% alcohol per can.

Babysitting one night with a girlfriend, the father on their way out said " there's a couple of cans in the fridge, help yourself to them". Oh dear, no one, not him, me, or the girlfriend could have had any idea the impact of opening that first can would have had on the rest of my life. Without naming the brand it was an expensive dark strong ale. The first taste was magical, I was in heaven. Couldn't believe alcohol could of been so delicious. I didn't know it at the time but I was hooked before I opened the second can.

Thirteen years later after many ups and downs I was still addicted to the stuff. Nothing could stop me, I drank every single night without fail. I even left the hospital where my girlfriend (same girl) was in intensive care with machines keeping her alive so I could drink. She died that night. Even that didn't stop me, I continued to drink heavily. I worked as an engineer traveling to hospitals up and down the country to fix equipment in pathology departments. Pathology for god sake, yes I've seen it all. Even that was no deterrent. I never drank while working or driving but could not wait to get home or in the hotel so I could drink.

Twenty one days ago I decided that was enough. Twenty one days later I'm sitting here now typing this message.

I could go on forever about the ups and downs over the years, so I'll stop now. I have listened to what you have said and I appreciate the advice. I don't know what made me reveal all this, I considered deleting it but I'm not going to.

Thanks.

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast