Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy drinker page 13

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sol you are still going strong I see Well done, I myself have been under some stress and have fallen off the food wagon.
    sigh Picks herself up , dusts herself off and clambers back on
    Feeling it with ya.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    sigh Picks herself up , dusts herself off and clambers back on
    Perfect plan.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Thanks mike. Last post would be

Thank you to every single person that has offered advice, tips, encouragement, support, insight into their own story's but most of all, sincere thanks for taking the time to bother.

I love this place and has it made the last ten days easier than I could of ever imagined..
    Hey, no last posts until you start a journal! And then you have to tell us what it's called so we can stick with you. If you don't know how to link to it, just start a new thread in the Journals forum and as long as you post about what you've called it, someone will link from here for you.

10 days, Sol! (or is it 11 today?) that means the next 10 are twice as important but only half as difficult, right?

Saturday night's alright for ... hanging out on MDA !!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Sol, where've you gone? How's it going? Don't disappear on us ...
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Hey, Sol, where've you gone? How's it going? Don't disappear on us ...
    Hi awok, I'm still here reading everything. I thought people were getting a bit fed up of this thread so I stopped posting on it. Still love this place and it's twelve days today. My belly is shrinking fast.

Hope everyone's well.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sol;
    Glad to see you posting. I don't think anyone is fed up. So the belly keeps shrinking, does it? How are you feeling besides that? Seems like this is the second weekend--are your friends OK with the changes you're making or do they even believe it is really happening? Nobody around me thought I meant to stick it when I quit. So I just kept mum and joined a gym. Real friends stuck around but drinking buddies dropped away slowly. I did like having to buy new pants when I lost the belly. Getting there yet?
    Last edited by missblue; 06-23-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    Hi Sol;
    Glad to see you posting. I don't think anyone is fed up. So the belly keeps shrinking, does it? How are you feeling besides that? Seems like this is the second weekend--are your friends OK with the changes you're making or do they even believe it is really happening? Nobody around me thought I meant to stick it when I quit. So I just kept mum and joined a gym. Real friends stuck around but drinking buddies dropped away slowly. I did like having to buy new pants when I lost the belly. Getting there yet?

Hi miss. The belly is doing good. I'm feeling good, gout is 90% better, only problem I have is the lack of sleep. My diet is spot on apart from using sunflower oil last night before I checked on here. It's gone now and replaced with lard. My close family are pleased with what I'm doing, but I also kept mum to some friends but they have noticed my weight loss.

I don't know if they are expecting me to crash and burn or not, but I think if it was going to happen it would have by now.

Still hoping to return to work in early august so going to wait till then before buying some clothes.

That sounds good. Glad to hear the gout is clearing up.

Yes, the first two weeks are kind of the trial. Once I got through the second weekend the new way of living was beginning to feel something like "normal" but the sleeping was a problem for awhile. I found that all the stuff I had been thinking about but pushing down (with the drink) for years kept just coming up when I would lie down and get quiet. My brain would race until I couldn't stand it and got up. Writing it down in a journal (any notebook will do) helped. Sometimes I'd even burn the stuff I wrote just to get it "out" if you know what I mean. You know--the regrets of the stupid things you did (drunk or sober in my case) or stuff done to you, and so on. Facing that was not always the easiest but I must say clearing it out was like washing a year's worth of dirty dishes. Nasty but sure looks great when you're done

Yep, I know what you mean. I did some crazy stuff while drunk, particulary when I was younger. Oh the memories
    Sometimes I'm quite tired during the day or early evening but come bedtime it's full on wide awake brain racing a hundred miles an hour. Well done miss, I'm pleased you got there before me. Are you teetotal or moderating? If you don't mind my asking.

PrimalCon New York
    So far teetotal. I was so nervous about quitting at all I told myself "only 3-6 months" and then I'd try it moderately.
    The three months was spent detoxing and getting to sleep normally. By the end of that it was pretty easy, so I thought I'd go for the six months. I forgot to total the time (if you can believe that) and when I thought about it again it was seven months. So then I thought, "Well, I'm this close, so may as well try for the year."

By the time I had a year, I was feeling so much better and had learned to do other things with my time besides drink, that I just kept going.

If I look at it honestly, I think in the beginning I was really worried about backsliding if I tried to drink in moderation. As I told you before, it had begun to start to be an issue for me at work and my body was really sick from years of doing it. I saw several other people talk about being "high functioning" drinkers, and I would say that was true of me. I got to work, did what was needed for the most part, and appeared "normal". I would sometimes go days without drinking, but always went back. My parents were both alcoholics so I learned early and had the genes for it.

Now, I just like my life better and so for the time being am staying totally away from drinking. It isn't a "fear" of going back so much now as moving into a different way of living. I had some great times on the drink and can look back with a smile for many reasons. I had a hell of a lot of fun in several continents and cities of the world while in party mode. I wouldn't trade that and am not taking the pledge to never drink again as much as enjoying being in control and clear-headed. That feels good.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast