Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbohydrate is good for diabetes

Hybrid View

Carbohydrate is good for diabetes

Apparently.

Care to elaborate or provide a link to some kind of... I don't know... well, maybe a study?
    Take a walk on the wild side.

I was expecting to see a link for some internet scam/spam.

Some of you might have seen the diagram below before. I'm well acquainted with it and ate like this from 2008 -2012, really strictly in 2012 with my diet consisting of 70% grains, plus vegetables and fruit, everything low fat, almost vegetarian, no red meat.

I had to start using medication as my beta cells couldn't cope, then insulin, then off insulin ,then on an insulin then off the pump.
    Prior to to 2008 I was never fat always under my BMI but from 2008 I gained slowly-less than 1/2lb a week but consistently. constantly being told the weight gain was OK-less important than blood sugar control so I stuck with it until i became 100lb overweight. All this time I felt like crap but was desperate to be healthy.

Christmas day i found myself looking at my dinner, healthy, white turkey meat, vegetables, fat free potatoes and my husbands dinner consisting of loads of turkey meat and skin, loads of sausage wrapped in bacon, butter oozing on the few potatoes and veg. It was a WTF moment - he has a nigh perfect body maybe a wee bit thin on the legs and I am this 240+ blob yet I'm the one eating healthy and staying under my calorie limit.

A normal person can lose weight on any diet but i find it hard to believe anyone can find a high carb diet healthy in the long term.
    Your pancreas is constantly working to balance these, even in the thin, and this is where beta cell burnout comes in. I look at some of the high carb proponents and believe eventually they'll regret this, I hope they wont and will get lucky, but not all of them will.
    When you look at peak stats of type 2 diagnosis you get a spike at 40 and then the incidence stays high - paying for a lifetime of damage. Gorbag for example doesn't talk much about his fasting BG of 6.5 and thinks its OK as it comes down later but he chooses to look after his body his own way.

The low carb suits both my blood sugar (fasting now 5.2; postprandial 6.4 on metformin only) and my metabolism (65lb weight loss) and is hopefully stunting my cancer (next microscopial exam mid July).
    I know my health is better- for a start I feel it, also my blood panel is excellent, consistently. My peak flow is vastly improved as is nerve conductivity. My blood pressure is normal on no medication now. HDL LDL TRIGS etc in perfect balance according both to griff and what the Dr wants to see. I no longer take a statin
    I have no complaints and am on a perfect diet for Me
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-17-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Some of you might have seen the diagram below before. I'm well acquainted with it and ate like this from 2008 -2012, really strictly in 2012 with my diet consisting of 70% grains, plus vegetables and fruit, everything low fat, almost vegetarian, no red meat.

I had to start using medication as my beta cells couldn't cope, then insulin, then off insulin ,then on an insulin then off the pump.
    Prior to to 2008 I was never fat always under my BMI but from 2008 I gained slowly-less than 1/2lb a week but consistently. constantly being told the weight gain was OK-less important than blood sugar control so I stuck with it until i became 100lb overweight. All this time I felt like crap but was desperate to be healthy.

Christmas day i found myself looking at my dinner, healthy, white turkey meat, vegetables, fat free potatoes and my husbands dinner consisting of loads of turkey meat and skin, loads of sausage wrapped in bacon, butter oozing on the few potatoes and veg. It was a WTF moment - he has a nigh perfect body maybe a wee bit thin on the legs and I am this 240+ blob yet I'm the one eating healthy and staying under my calorie limit.

A normal person can lose weight on any diet but i find it hard to believe anyone can find a high carb diet healthy in the long term.
    Your pancreas is constantly working to balance these, even in the thin, and this is where beta cell burnout comes in. I look at some of the high carb proponents and believe eventually they'll regret this, I hope they wont and will get lucky, but not all of them will.
    When you look at peak stats of type 2 diagnosis you get a spike at 40 and then the incidence stays high - paying for a lifetime of damage. Gorbag for example doesn't talk much about his fasting BG of 6.5 and thinks its OK as it comes down later but he chooses to look after his body his own way.

The low carb suits both my blood sugar (fasting now 5.2; postprandial 6.4 on metformin only) and my metabolism (65lb weight loss) and is hopefully stunting my cancer (next microscopial exam mid July).
    I know my health is better- for a start I feel it, also my blood panel is excellent, consistently. My peak flow is vastly improved as is nerve conductivity. My blood pressure is normal on no medication now. HDL LDL TRIGS etc in perfect balance according both to griff and what the Dr wants to see. I no longer take a statin
    Thanks for the insight. Keep fighting.

Word. Great job! Hey, if your 20 something and working out then increase your carbs. It's been said a thousand ways... "eat carbs to your activity level - Robb Wolf", "Eat an extra hundred grams for each hour of intense training outside of normal PB fitness"- Mark Sisson <----------- both paraphrased since I didn't wanna find it and copy paste so nobody sue me if I got a couple words wrong. Nobody is hating on carbs across the population, but I still find that the evidence strongly indicates that low carb paleo is the most beneficial prescription for people like carbdodger and for reversing insulin resistance and its associated symptoms. Beyond that eat and train till the wheels fall off if you wanna. I still cant advocate cane sugar as a non-toxic substance that is just a victim of PUFA association. Not from what I've seen. Good luck with that theory though. Let me know how it turns out.....but posting your "near perfect" blood work right now isn't gonna impress. We'll have to talk in a couple decades

I don't see how this is relevant to carbohydrate at all. Your diet, by your own admission, was loaded with grains and contained next to zero fat soluble vitamins or any foods with any measurable nutrition. Your issues likely had absolutely nothing to do with carbohydrate intake. Your insulin sensitivity dropped because you were completely malnourished and deficient in fat soluble vitamins and clearly numerous minerals, which are crucial to glucose oxidation and mitochondrial support. Starving yourself eating nutritionless flours and then blaming your inability to metabolize glucose on carbohydrate content is backwards.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I think this is in response to a thread where she said she objected to being expected to teach her students that the proper management for diabetes is to eat hundreds of grams of carbs a day and then inject enough insulin to compensate, and she got attacked for some details.

Yes, to my shame it was an anger post I'm back on an even keel again now. I'm a he by the way

Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Yes, to my shame it was an anger post I'm back on an even keel again now. I'm a he by the way
    They are. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which your primary fuel source - glucose - becomes difficult to metabolize. That doesn't mean carbohydrate causes Type 2 Diabetes. If anything is causing it, it's polyunsaturated fat, toxic lectins, fat soluble vitamin deficiencies and chemical additives in foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.