Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 105

Thread: Carbohydrate is good for diabetes page 4

  1. #31
    MaceyUK's Avatar
    MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    643
    Shop Now
    A diabetic guy where I work is convinced that he can't eat cheese and takes it out of sandwiches before he eats the remainder. There's so much bad advice out there and rather than helping people manage their conditions they are being exacerbated by the government led ignorance. There need to be some large scale, controlled trials. NUSI may be the answer.

  2. #32
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    ChocoTaco369 any carby food spikes blood sugar a carb food on its or even just cucumbers say for example spike BS, a watermelon or grapes sends it through the roof, so the more times you increase BS the likely one is to get insulin sensitivity and diabetes over time.
    Why do you think this? I strongly doubt you have any evidence to support this at all and it is all hear-say. I don't believe carbohydrate has anything to do with diabetes, but it's rather a product of too much polyunsaturated fat, fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies and chemical additives destroying the body's ability to oxidize glucose properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Once someone is diabetic carbs are just a no no, as every time they are eaten the diabetics BS rises which causes fat deposits and weight gain
    That doesn't mean carbohydrate causes the disease. It means your primary oxidative mechanism has been damaged. If you're in a car accident and your kidneys are damaged, you won't be able to eat much protein. That doesn't mean that protein is bad for your kidneys. Your logic is backwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    If you give a diabetic a really healthy meal like a a salad, cucumbers tomato onion for example she/he will get a BS spike and all they are eating is a fresh salad.
    So what?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  3. #33
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    You're leaving out the fact that the body adapts to some stresses, and some stresses produce greater fitness of the body (including your metabolism).

    I would like to hear more about diabetes though. My uncle has it, and I would do anything to help heal him.
    Some small stresses can be good. Large stresses aren't. The body adapts to heavy gluten in the diet - that doesn't make it healthy. This isn't a small adaptation, like adapting to the toxins in broccoli. This is a massive difference.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #34
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,742
    I think Robb wrote a nice little synopsis on how one becomes insulin resistant and how a low carb paleo approach is an excellent option for combating it:

    Paleo Diet, Inflammation and Metformin

  5. #35
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Low carbohydrate diets promote insulin resistance. They don't combat it. They simply avoid the issue. Type 2 Diabetes is an affliction that causes the oxidative machinery that metabolizes glucose to malfunction. Carbohydrate is the victim, not the cause, of Type 2 Diabetes. Because of this, avoiding it will do absolutely nothing to fix the issue. If you consume lots of gluten and it creates an autoimmune condition that makes you allergic to your dog, you're do the equivalent of getting rid of your dog.

    My fasting blood sugar is 75 consuming anywhere from 150-300g of carbohydrate a day. When I was consuming <80g a day, it was 86. Carbohydrate promotes insulin sensitivity, high fat diets and carbohydrate restriction promote insulin resistance. Diabetes, which is at heart a metabolic derangement from too much polyunsaturated fat, nutrient deficiencies and toxic chemicals in the diet, is better combated by removing those poisonous foods from your body. At some point if you want to regain insulin sensitivity, you're going to have to slowly cycle in carbohydrate. Or you can just avoid the issue altogether by eating low-carb and never really fix the problem.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  6. #36
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    look im gunna chime in with my opinion, i might get a ton of "science" come down on my head but i don't care:

    It is my belief that adult diabetes (type 2) is a chronic disease (its quite obvious actually).

    It is very similar to all the other chronic diseases, that arise from your body dealing with a significant stressor all day everyday for years (think chronic cardio)

    If your metabolism could talk to you it would say......
    "look I've had it up to here, dealing with all this glucose you keep shoving down your throat. I've been dealing with this everyday for 20 years, go and get stuffed, I'm not doing it anymore. Doctors have insulin shots, go and get it off them or something"

    obviously then what needs to happen is this system needs a rest so we go LC or VLC.

    A new problem then arises... because we had all our body energy handed to us down our gullets in the form of carbs for 20 years our bodies aren't very good at making its own glucose or apportioning its glucose for "brain use only" and utilizing some other form of energy for it muscles etc.

    because of this the "hungry brain" forces the body to bust the LC or VLC diet and you start throwing glucose down your gullet again, then your metabolism goes "oh no not this again, i told you to get stuffed, im not dealing with glucose anymore". you now find your self in a vicious cycle.

    the solution, yes still give your self a rest from eating lots of glucose, but focus on getting all your other metabolic tools into gear this might take a bit of work but is doable. how do we do it?

    Well leave calorie deficits and macro ratio's at the door, you want to get in and vary up your diet as much as you can, (this is why our aboriginals succeed in clearing diabetes in a month after going bush. One day they're eating berries, the next their eating wallaby, the next their eating yams), your metabolism gets a good workout and starts to come online fairly quickly. I'm sure it even wouldn't mind dealing with a glucose load a few times a week, If it didn't have to deal with it every day, its not the stress of glucose it wants to avoid, its the chronic (everyday) stress it can't handle, it needs a rest to recover (just like chronic cardio). Just keep in mind that your glucose making system will become chronically stressed too if forced to do it's task all day every day (by going VLC). hope that helps

    edit: Its not carbs that are bad. Its doing the same thing constantly thats bad, eating constant too much carbs = bad, eating constant too little carbs = bad. <<<<<this is what causes chronic diseases.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 06-16-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: clarification
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  7. #37
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,742
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Low carbohydrate diets promote insulin resistance. They don't combat it. They simply avoid the issue. Type 2 Diabetes is an affliction that causes the oxidative machinery that metabolizes glucose to malfunction. Carbohydrate is the victim, not the cause, of Type 2 Diabetes. Because of this, avoiding it will do absolutely nothing to fix the issue. If you consume lots of gluten and it creates an autoimmune condition that makes you allergic to your dog, you're do the equivalent of getting rid of your dog.

    My fasting blood sugar is 75 consuming anywhere from 150-300g of carbohydrate a day. When I was consuming <80g a day, it was 86. Carbohydrate promotes insulin sensitivity, high fat diets and carbohydrate restriction promote insulin resistance. Diabetes, which is at heart a metabolic derangement from too much polyunsaturated fat, nutrient deficiencies and toxic chemicals in the diet, is better combated by removing those poisonous foods from your body. At some point if you want to regain insulin sensitivity, you're going to have to slowly cycle in carbohydrate. Or you can just avoid the issue altogether by eating low-carb and never really fix the problem.
    Well if you say it that must make it true. Nope actually it don't. I've seen it. I've read about it. I've personally read the blood tests. You can tell me the sky is purple and the grass is pink all day but it won't change reality. Low carb paleo addresses and improves the root cause of insulin resistance in most people.

  8. #38
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well if you say it that must make it true. Nope actually it don't. I've seen it. I've read about it. I've personally read the blood tests. You can tell me the sky is purple and the grass is pink all day but it won't change reality. Low carb paleo addresses and improves the root cause of insulin resistance in most people.
    "Paleo" may improve insulin sensitivity in general because it tends to avoid a lot of the very unhealthy foods that lead to metabolic derangement - seed oils, artificial sweeteners, high lectin grains and legumes, etc - but it has absolutely nothing to do with "low carb." Low carb in general impairs insulin sensitivity, not improves it. The human metabolism prefers glucose as a fuel source, but somewhere along the line in the paleo movement that whole thing got lost and you wind up with dilberryhoundog's post above. Insulin shots? Seriously? The most toxic thing we consume regularly is fat. Most of these issues are caused by seed oils, not carbohydrate. Carbohydrate metabolism is the victim of toxic fats.

    Most traditional societies are high carb. Humanity began and evolved in areas where fruits and starches were common and fatty animals were rare. There aren't many fatty animals along the Equator. It's almost all lean game meats. What is everywhere? Fruits, roots and tubers. This is what human beings evolved eating. We didn't eat salad. Could you imagine a race of people traversing the landscape, burning hundreds of calories, to bring back 52 calories worth of leaves and a head of broccoli?

    I don't understand the twisted logic. It makes absolutely no sense. Especially since the American diet is almost as high in fat as it is in carbs. Yea, all those rice eating Asians and traditional African societies getting 80% of their dietary calories from carbs are dying from T2D, right? Nah, that's just Americans. Doritos, doughnuts and McDonalds all contain far more fat than carbs. Somehow, we forget that as a community because we're more caught up in platitudes than actual facts.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-16-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  9. #39
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    edit: Its not carbs that are bad. Its doing the same thing constantly thats bad, eating constant too much carbs = bad, eating constant too little carbs = bad. <<<<<this is what causes chronic diseases.
    Nah. Constant consumption of carbs is only bad when they're deep-fried in rancid seed oils.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #40
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think Robb wrote a nice little synopsis on how one becomes insulin resistant and how a low carb paleo approach is an excellent option for combating it:

    Paleo Diet, Inflammation and Metformin
    Pretty sure even Robb Wolf doesnt believe that anymore.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •