Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Carbohydrate is good for diabetes page 11

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I'd argue that my grandfather reversed it. He never took any medication for it and yet was able to maintain healthy blood sugar levels through diet and exercise alone.

you can reverse pre-diabetes. My dad did that.
    I'd argue that he controlled it through diet and exercise as you said--not reversed it. It's a debate out there but to me, I can't get beyond that if you get off track, even briefly, from said diet and exercise then the blood sugar creeps up. I don't take medication either and have a 5.2 A1C but I know if I pop open a coke or even have an apple by blood sugar will go up. That's not a reversal, it's control.

sting is offline Senior Member
    joe2 do you read much of diabetes forum?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    I'd argue that he controlled it through diet and exercise as you said--not reversed it. It's a debate out there but to me, I can't get beyond that if you get off track, even briefly, from said diet and exercise then the blood sugar creeps up. I don't take medication either and have a 5.2 A1C but I know if I pop open a coke or even have an apple by blood sugar will go up. That's not a reversal, it's control.
    That's all low carbohydrate does - it avoids glucose as a measure of "control." You may never be able to "reverse" type 2 diabetes fully. If it took you 40 years to break your body down enough to develop it, there simply may not be enough time to heal, or your body may be old enough that it can't regenerate fully. Not everything is reversible 100%, but you may be able to improve it. And again, the only way you'll have hope is full nutrient repletion and some type of healthy carbohydrate cycling. Simply sticking to a low carbohydrate diet mimics the metabolism of a diabetic and furthers insulin resistance.

Like you said, someone with type 2 diabetes can get their A1c and fasting blood glucose to normal levels by avoiding carbohydrate for prolonged periods of time. This does nothing to fix the problem, it just manages it by avoiding the issue. The second you have a Coke, you'll have issues. It may be even worse since carbohydrate avoidance reduces insulin sensitivity even further. This is why it is absolutely laughable to diagnose type 2 diabetes on blood markers. You can have type 2 diabetes and totally normal markers!!!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-19-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    diagnosed A1C @ 9.8. My last A1C was 5.2.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    diagnosed A1C @ 9.8. My last A1C was 5.2.
    Nice improvement!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011