Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Carbohydrate is good for diabetes page 10

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Blood sugar and muscles are completely different. One is body tissue the other is energy, one uses the other.
    I was looking at comparisons between injured body tissue and injured body tissue.

Looking at blood sugar is like saying: flood heights went to 10 meters then fell to 7m then levelled off at 5m. Flood heights tell us we have a problem, (which we can usually tell anyway from water being effin everywhere). What we want to find out is what broke to cause the flood (did a dam burst, levee bank fail) and how do we fix it.

Same goes for diabetes, BS tells us we got a problem, it doesn't tell us what it is and how we fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    The problem with your "don't worry about blood sugars cause it a downstream effect" is that that downstream effect has absolutely catastrophic consequences to almost every measurable aspect of health.

Sometimes treating a symptom is a necessary part of treating the cause.

Since you like muscle analogy.... this may be comparable to the RICE portion of initial acute injury treatment. But not really, as you will heal with or without RICE....with persistent high BS (too high too long) you produce sometimes irreparable damage.

Ahh, or your flood analogy. Just fixing the dam won't clean up all that water that will continue to rot and do damage to your buildings and infostructure. Hey that works a bit better anyhow
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    this is where beta cell transplants may well come in. Obviously,though, if the person doesn't achieve and maintain a 'normal' profile after transplantation they'll die too
    And when your terrible lifestyle just destroys the transplant cells, then what? You're taking histamine blockers instead of removing the trigger and causes overproduction. Big picture - you need a diet that maximizes metabolic efficiency.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    And when your terrible lifestyle just destroys the transplant cells, then what? You're taking histamine blockers instead of removing the trigger and causes overproduction. Big picture - you need a diet that maximizes metabolic efficiency.
    ....Obviously,though, if the person doesn't achieve and maintain a 'normal' profile after transplantation they'll die too
    maybe diabetic retinopathy made you miss the 2nd sentence mate
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think injured organs always have the same ability to regenerate that muscle tissue has. If you have no beta cells you aren't going to suddenly grow them in the presence of slightly elevated blood sugar. If it was that easy, diabetes would be curable rather than simply treatable.
    If I where to describe type 1 diabetes with the leg muscle analogy it would be this; having type 1 is like getting the leg chopped off, there isn't much repairing one can do to restore function. This to me is what you are describing.

Type 2 OTOH is a lifestyle disease, change the lifestyle and you heal the disease (very treatable). I've heard of many full recoveries from type 2, nil full recoveries from type 1.

A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    If I where to describe type 1 diabetes with the leg muscle analogy it would be this; having type 1 is like getting the leg chopped off, there isn't much repairing one can do to restore function. This to me is what you are describing.

Type 2 OTOH is a lifestyle disease, change the lifestyle and you heal the disease (very treatable). I've heard of many full recoveries from type 2, nil full recoveries from type 1.

I think type II is a spectrum though. Some can reverse it and others are too far gone. Also, there is a type 1.5. A friend of mine has that. Skinny as a rail, always ate a healthy Mediterranean diet, bicycle commuter for decades, hiker, backpacker, always out doing construction in his yard. Said his diabetes was caused by the pancreas slowly ceasing to function.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Choco--I haven't seen a single case of real reversal with what you are proposing. Would be incredible if true but I just don't buy into it based on personal experience and tons of research of others dealing with T2.
    Last edited by joe2.0; 06-18-2013 at 08:20 PM.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Having been to both sides of type II diabetes (and back.) I can confirm a lot of chocotaco's info. I started LCHF, taking Krav maga (very intense, explosive exercise) and lost a ton of weight at first (150ish-lbs). Went from fasting BGs of 130 to 85. Great, but I wanted to get better, stronger and faster at Krav, so I reluctantly started having more carbohydrate, 75g then up to 175g (potatoes, and sweet plantains) and damn did I get stronger and faster. Then, I went and saw my doctor and to my surprise, fasting BG now 79! I personally think that activity levels have something to do with it, even more so than actual carb count. Oh, I still lost weight, but way more pant sizes/shirt sizes in 50lbs than the first 150g.
    What was your A1C?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think type II is a spectrum though. Some can reverse it and others are too far gone. Also, there is a type 1.5. A friend of mine has that. Skinny as a rail, always ate a healthy Mediterranean diet, bicycle commuter for decades, hiker, backpacker, always out doing construction in his yard. Said his diabetes was caused by the pancreas slowly ceasing to function.
    your friend has a faulty gene- type 1.5s aren't common but all are genetic. this guy is fascinating BBC News - Gene mutation means paracyclist has no fat under skin
    I'm untyped- pancreatic diabetes-(and there aren't many of us) born with a malformation of the tubes from the liver and pancreas and dysfunction of the sphincter that allows exit of the fluids; this has periodic paralysis so doesn't release and the fluid builds up and my pancreas then gets bathed in digestive enzymes. I had the first episode around 8yrs . looking back over the years i generally managed it by IF. it wasn't till I had the operation to insert an overflow tube which went badly wrong and did a lot of damage that I ever followed a 'diabetic' diet and every year of that compounded the damage until i ended up in this shameful position
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    Choco--I haven't seen a single case of real reversal with what you are proposing. Would be incredible if true but I just don't buy into it based on personal experience and tons of research of others dealing with T2.
    I'd argue that my grandfather reversed it. He never took any medication for it and yet was able to maintain healthy blood sugar levels through diet and exercise alone.

you can reverse pre-diabetes. My dad did that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    your friend has a faulty gene- type 1.5s aren't common but all are genetic. this guy is fascinating BBC News - Gene mutation means paracyclist has no fat under skin
    I'm untyped- pancreatic diabetes-(and there aren't many of us) born with a malformation of the tubes from the liver and pancreas and dysfunction of the sphincter that allows exit of the fluids; this has periodic paralysis so doesn't release and the fluid builds up and my pancreas then gets bathed in digestive enzymes. I had the first episode around 8yrs . looking back over the years i generally managed it by IF. it wasn't till I had the operation to insert an overflow tube which went badly wrong and did a lot of damage that I ever followed a 'diabetic' diet and every year of that compounded the damage until i ended up in this shameful position
    That is an outrage of a story. To be harmed by the official diet. You are an asset, a voice of clarity to the madness around here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast