Thread: Banishing the Buddha Belly (Primal Journal Grokkette) page

Grokkette is offline Junior Member

Banishing the Buddha Belly (Primal Journal Grokkette)

Primal Fuel
    Here we go, my very own primal journal. I've been toying with the idea of doing one for the last few days, and after the morning I've had, I'm definitely gonna give it a go.

First, goals/motivations:

Improve digestion (Banish the Buddha Belly)
    Improve allergies
    Clear skin
    Reduce my toxic intake
    Eat humanely
    Achieve stable energy levels
    Achieve stable emotional levels
    Improve memory
    Achieve great health overall

I've always had a belly. Even when I'm thin, the belly remains. I've always been self-conscious about it, and I never understood why I had it. Pictures of me as a toddler are hilarious. If I can get ahold of one, I'll post it up here. That's when I earned the nickname "Buddha Belly" from my family. Friends of the family were encouraged to rub on my belly and make a wish.

Now, I'm 28, 5'10, and 150 lbs. Overall, I'm pretty content with my body. I used to be quite chubby. Now, I feel like if I lost any more weight I'd just look gangling and scrawny. But I've still got this damned belly. And no, this isn't the normal female belly. This is a definite protruding gut.

I've recently come to the conclusion that the main culprit here is bloat, not fat. While I do have a little bit of fat, and I'd like to try to lose another 10 lbs and see if it comes off in all the right places (belly, back, and thighs), I think the foods I've eaten over the years have caused a digestive ruckus. I was lactose intolerant as a kid and suffered seasonal hives every spring and summer. I was supposedly allergic to: all grass, all trees except for oak, dogs, strawberries, tomatoes, and chocolate. I think there were a few other foods, but I don't remember now. I never listened. I continued eating everything I was supposed to be allergic to. I never noticed any major symptoms from any of those foods. Gluten, however, is something my digestive system doesn't tolerate well, and I've eaten it with reckless abandon my whole life, completely unaware of what was causing my upset stomachs and belly bloat.

So now it's on. I've got a cruise coming up in two months, and I'd like to see if I can't banish the belly, at least somewhat, by then. Hopefully this journal will help me keep track of my symptoms and their causes.

Today:

I was woken up at 3:45 by the landlord's grandson weed-whacking the backyard. I work swing shifts. I've had three hours of sleepy. Not a happy girl. I chased him off, but it was too late. I'm awake. Can't go back to sleep. Hopped in the shower, and when I got out, I noticed a familiar feeling... shaky, weak, lightheaded, stomach feels nauseous. I haven't felt this in a while. But every time I have, there are three common factors: dairy, sugar, and often sleep deprivation. I remember drinking a Starbucks coffee one morning back in college after only getting a few hours of sleep the night before... the fatigue attack hit me so hard I thought I was going to pass out in my seat in class. I had to excuse myself and go sit out in my car. It usually passes in about 20 minutes or so. I've never known what to make of this. Last night, after work and before bed, I had whole fat greek yogurt with fresh blackberries and about a tbsp of blackberry preserves. So all the common denominators are present. Weird.

Resisted the urge to comfort eat this morning and went back to bed instead. Managed to sleep from 11:30 to 2:30, giving me 6.5 hours total. Not bad. Feeling lethargic today though. I would have punched a baby to not have to go to work.

B: Some chili Colorado around 3 (slow-cooked pork shoulder in spices) topped with shredded cheddar, salsa, and half an avocado. Also, coffee with Stevia and coconut milk. Put half as much coffee grounds in my k-cup today because I'm trying to moderate my caffeine.

s: 20 oz. Coke Zero

D: BAS with green leaf lettuce, 2.3 ounces peppered turkey, handful of salad shrimp, baby carrots, pepperoncinis, white onion, roma tomato, red bell pepper, broccoli florets, and Marie's EVOO Greek Vinaigrette.
    Last edited by Grokkette; 06-14-2013 at 10:22 PM.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I took me a very long time to figure out that I was always bloated. I thought it was normal to feel like that. Here I am, 54,, and I just figured out three months ago that dairy is not my friend. Since I gave it up I am not constantly bloated, know what normal is and can always tell when a different food is a no-go because I bloat up again. A single slice of cheese makes me bloat within a short amount of time! Try ditching all forms of dairy for a few days and see what happens.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Darn it! I posted my weekend's activity on Monday, but it's not here now! Guess I'll have to rack my memory and try to remember.

Finished off Friday night by having some beers with coworkers after work as sort of a last hurrah since I'm moving to the bay area next week. Had 5 Coors mixed with V8. Also, smoked quite a few cigarettes (I am bad about smoking when I'm drinking & socializing).

Saturday:

B: A few bites of saurkraut and a bottle of GT's Kombucha.

Went to visit the parents. The bf and I moved some furniture from the basement up to the garage. A couch, some chairs, coffee tables, roll out beds, a tv, entertainment center... basically a good amount of lifting heavy things.

s: Some assorted artisan cheeses, apple slices, and some carrot sticks dipped in an artichoke & jalapeno dip.

D: A BBQ chicken leg and a couple chunks of breast meat with grilled veggies in a balsamic dressing and one grilled red potato, most of the skin removed.

d: "No Sugar Added" Vanilla Ice Cream w/ blueberries

Had another 3 beers with V8.

Sunday:

Went to the waterpark with the bf. Not all that aerobic, but fun and better than sitting around all day.

B: Coffee w/ coconut milk & stevia. Some mixed fruit. And three scrambled eggs with a little bit of cheese and white sausage gravy on top (came from the grocery store hot case).

L: BAS with blue cheese dressing at Round Table. Also scraped off the cheese & toppings from 3 pieces of pizza and ate those. lol And a 16 oz beer.

D: Dinner at my parents' house again. A broiled NY Strip Steak, 4 large prawns, and a baked potato with sour cream, butter, and chives. Didn't eat the skin.

d: "No Sugar Added" Vanilla Ice cream with a little bit of chocolate frosting (from the german chocolate cake everyone else was eating) on top.

s: A veggie plate dipped in artichoke & jalapeno dip. Also, wine. lol I drink way too much on the weekends.

Work has been slow this week, and I've been lazy, so I haven't gotten as much activity as I usually would.

Monday:

B: 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and some veggies sauteed in the bacon fat. Coffee w/ stevia and coconut milk.

Can't remember eating lunch.

D: Rotisserie chicken leg & a couple chunks of breast meat. Coleslaw (about 1/2 cup). A few bites of a curried chicken salad with cashews and grapes from the grocery deli.

d: Greek yogurt with about 1 tbsp blackberry preserves. 1 glass of red wine.

Tuesday:

B: can of beef & vegetable soup.

D: BBQ chicken salad from BK (crispy even though I wanted grilled... it never fails) and a small french fry.

s: Some Smokehouse Almonds.

d: Greek yogurt w/ 1 tbsp of blackberry preserves. 1 bloody mary.

outlaw48 is offline Member
    Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds? Those things are addictive! I had to stop buying them because I would eat the entire can.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw48 View Post
    Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds? Those things are addictive! I had to stop buying them because I would eat the entire can.
    Tell me about it! I usually pack a small palm full (probably somewhere between and oz and 2 oz) in a little sandwich baggie and bring them to work. If I snack on them at home, when I have access to the full jar, I get in trouble, too.

This past week I have been so so bad. Haven't been updating my log because I'm in the middle of moving and it's just been a madhouse so I'm busy, busy, busy. I will say that most of last week I did okay, staying fairly primal, up until Saturday. Then it was all bad. I had Wienerschnitzel Saturday night, a protein plate from Starbucks Sunday morning, Garlic fries and beer Sunday afternoon, KCF Sunday night, Taco Bell Monday afternoon, and a burrito from a local taqueria last night. I tend to indulge in bad things when I'm traveling, but this was especially horrific. By the end of work last night, I felt sick. I think it was from a combination of lack of sleep, poor diet, and back pain from 10 hours of driving and roller coasters this weekend. I know for sure the diet was making me feel like crap, though, so at least it's kind of gratifying to feel the punishment for my weak choices.

So today is a new day! I'm home packing up the rest of the house and finishing up my last week at work! *HAPPY DANCE!* I haven't eaten yet today, but I am definitely getting back to basics. I've got my cup of coffee with stevia and coconut milk, and I've got half a dozen eggs hardboiling on the stove for quick and easy snacks over the next few days. I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some plums, some aged irish cheddar, and some collard greens... first two for snacks, the latter to simmer with some bacon. Yum!

I WILL post my food log for the day tonight before going to bed!

Brunch: Coffee w/stevia & coconut milk; plate of blueberries, hardboiled egg, aged irish cheddar, and smokehouse almonds.
    IMG_20130625_145636_084.jpg

Lunch: Some green beans w/ 2 slices bacon. A bit of saurkraut. A bottle of homebrewed kombucha.

Dinner: Whopper meal with small fry and diet coke. A coworker bought me lunch since it's my last week here. I said screw it.

Snack: Cucumber slices with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
    Last edited by Grokkette; 06-26-2013 at 03:42 AM.