Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading "Wheat Belly" - Only MODERN wheat is bad for us? page

Davidil is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Reading "Wheat Belly" - Only MODERN wheat is bad for us?

Shop Now
    I'm reading "wheat belly" by William Davis.

Basically the whole book is about how GM wheat is the source of all evil and that the wheat that our grandparents ate had a different protein structure that didn't cause all the damage that modern wheat does to our body.

He even made a test and prepared bread from "ancient" wheat that he could find (some people still grow it) and then regular wheat. He made bread from both.

Ate the "ancient" bread (which he said had a different taste and texture) and his blood sugar went up just by a bit. The next day he ate the regular bread and his sugar went up twice as much.

Why isn't this huge in the Paleo community? (I just started reading the book today). Might it be that we can all eat grains if they are ORIGINAL non GM grains ?? Today 99% wheat is the GM kind but what if they started growing the pre GM era grain?

We could all eat Pastas and Burgers as much as we wanted to ;-) Where is more research on this????

Thanks
    Last edited by Davidil; 06-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I thing the reason it isn't big is that there is a lot more to it than blood sugar. This makes me think of a newspaper article someone sent me yesterday that compared caged and free-range chicken eggs by measuring the protein content of both eggs and finding they were similar. Okay, but not really the point...
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Properly soaked grains are accepted in Western-Price Foundation style whole-food approaches. It is dating back to the 30ies research. Quite interesting research, actually. Paleo-primal takes a lazier stance to eliminate (instead of sourcing, soaking , home-grinding and flat-breading) and not play with toxicity.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Enkorn wheat can still hurt people who are sensitive to Gluten or have celiac disease. I would still avoid it for the most part except for a treat. It's leagues better than standard wheat, but even Dr. Davis doesn't recommend you eat it all the time.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    What if you'd eat it and wouldn't gain a pound and would feel great? There is a lot of talk in the book about evidence of people eating bread for thousands of years. I hate bread, every time I touch it I feel sick, but what if it's all because it's GM?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    There was not just 1 kind of wheat prior to our (US) current wheat. There were many over time, many in different countries and in different places. Which wheat did he use. Did he give the specific hybred name and date?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    dbl post!
    Last edited by upupandaway; 06-14-2013 at 10:48 AM.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Beyond the wheat -> gluten -> leaky gut -> autoimmunity mantra, there are environmental reasons not to eat grains: We Must Reclaim Human Health, Sustainability, Environmental Justice, And Morality From The Birdseed Brigade - GNOLLS.ORG

And Robb Wolf had William Davis on his podcast years ago: The Paleo Solution – Episode 95

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What if you'd eat it and wouldn't gain a pound and would feel great? There is a lot of talk in the book about evidence of people eating bread for thousands of years. I hate bread, every time I touch it I feel sick, but what if it's all because it's GM?
    Try baking from rye. Rye more common than ancient wheat, has undergone much less f'ing around with but has gluten.

EDIT: Just don't buy 'rye bread'. It always have wheat. Just replace wheat in the recipe completely with rye, and use lemon juice/soda as leavening for flatbreads.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    There was not just 1 kind of wheat prior to our (US) current wheat. There were many over time, many in different countries and in different places. Which wheat did he use. Did he give the specific hybred name and date?
    Ancient wheats that are usually discussed are einkorn and emmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast