Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading "Wheat Belly" - Only MODERN wheat is bad for us? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    I'm reading "wheat belly" by William Davis.

Basically the whole book is about how GM wheat is the source of all evil and that the wheat that our grandparents ate had a different protein structure that didn't cause all the damage that modern wheat does to our body.

He even made a test and prepared bread from "ancient" wheat that he could find (some people still grow it) and then regular wheat. He made bread from both.

Ate the "ancient" bread (which he said had a different taste and texture) and his blood sugar went up just by a bit. The next day he ate the regular bread and his sugar went up twice as much.

Why isn't this huge in the Paleo community? (I just started reading the book today). Might it be that we can all eat grains if they are ORIGINAL non GM grains ?? Today 99% wheat is the GM kind but what if they started growing the pre GM era grain?

We could all eat Pastas and Burgers as much as we wanted to ;-) Where is more research on this????

Thanks
    This is bullshit. Celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance are not new. They have been killing people since people started eating gluten grains.

Celiac Disease Timeline: A Glutinous History - Proto Magazine - Massachusetts General Hospital

GMO wheat may be worse, but that's an even worse. Normal hybridization of wheat has also resulted in many new gluten fragments.

We did not evolve to eat gluten grains. We are not rodents or birds. In all likelihood the ability to safely consume gluten grains comes from a relatively recent mutation, one which entered the population and became more common when people without it died of celiac or failed to reproduce because of celiac-induced infertility.

Anyone who is truly gluten intolerant needs to avoid all gluten grains, not just modern or high-gluten ones.

Those low gluten grains you think would make great pasta? Pasta made from them would totally suck. It is high gluten content that makes pasta what it is.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    This is bullshit. Celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance are not new. They have been killing people since people started eating gluten grains.

Celiac Disease Timeline: A Glutinous History - Proto Magazine - Massachusetts General Hospital

GMO wheat may be worse, but that's an even worse. Normal hybridization of wheat has also resulted in many new gluten fragments.

We did not evolve to eat gluten grains. We are not rodents or birds. In all likelihood the ability to safely consume gluten grains comes from a relatively recent mutation, one which entered the population and became more common when people without it died of celiac or failed to reproduce because of celiac-induced infertility.

Anyone who is truly gluten intolerant needs to avoid all gluten grains, not just modern or high-gluten ones.

Those low gluten grains you think would make great pasta? Pasta made from them would totally suck. It is high gluten content that makes pasta what it is.
    That is just one viewpoint.

Positive Health Online | Article - We Are All Coeliac

nikitakolata is online now Senior Member
    On his blog Dr. Davis makes it pretty clear that all wheat should be avoided. The genetic modifications done to wheat have made it worse, definitely, but wasn't good for humans to begin with.

The question about eating ancient strains of wheat comes up on his blog a lot and the answer is always to avoid them as well.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    This is bullshiti.
    Jesus man you need to relax.

I just started the two books today but I've been off carbs for 6 weeks and feel great.

It was just a thought, if I'd ever want a burger once in two weeks, it better be from none GM wheat, that's all.

nikitakolata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    It was just a thought, if I'd ever want a burger once in two weeks, it better be from none GM wheat, that's all.
    Or, better yet, make some buns without any wheat at all for your burger.

I like the "we're not birds" part. Want to go real paleo?

Drop monogamy, how is that?

Birds are monogamous, we are not.

;-)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Chaco will probably suggest the masa harina for you as the best alternative. I am Nordic, so my suggestion is still artisan quality rye. On the other hand, you also always have an option of portabello cups or lettuce wraps, the 'true' paleo ways or the naked burgers. I grew up where burgers were called kotletas, and were served with a side of potatoes, salad, rice etc and eaten with a fork. The bun was a cultural shock!

kotleta.jpg
    Last edited by Leida; 06-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    My partner loves bread, and loves sharing it, so under sufferance I have about one slice per day. I mitigate this by having it cut super thin (less than 5mm) and insisting it be artisan French sourdough, either 100% rye or 100% spelt. I'm not gluten intolerant at all and do well on higher carbs than many on here but I am pretty sure that if I cut it out I'd be that bit thinner and healthier. And compared with egg, venison, mackerel, blueberries, buttered broccoli or asparagus, it is not even that delicious!

Honestly I have no burger craving at the moment but I can see it coming at SOME point.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The best way to deal with a temptation is to succumb to it. But do try it naked, and think about it as exotic wild Mongol way, lol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast