Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone suffering from digestive issues? page 9

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    An antibiotic? I know bacteria can really play a roll in digestive issues, but that's not the case for everyone.
    I think it plays a part in most, to be honest. I knew for a long time I had some kind of issue with gut flora, but I never knew exactly what it was, so everything I tried (probiotics, high fiber, low fiber) failed hard. Turns out a massive ear infection was the best thing that ever happened to me. It's not the most hollistic approach, but it might be something to consider for the more desperate among us. I was certainly desperate.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I think it plays a part in most, to be honest. I knew for a long time I had some kind of issue with gut flora, but I never knew exactly what it was, so everything I tried (probiotics, high fiber, low fiber) failed hard. Turns out a massive ear infection was the best thing that ever happened to me. It's not the most hollistic approach, but it might be something to consider for the more desperate among us. I was certainly desperate.
    Speaking from my own experience, taking supplements with antibiotic properties helped with my yeast infections, but did nothing for my constipation.

Now, however, it might help me because I'm having symptoms of bacterial overgrowth. Of course, I can't afford to test for it again and the doctor won't prescribe anything without it. I think I overdid it with the probiotics within the past couple of months.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPilgrim View Post
    Thanks for this! I've been doing a strict 100% paleo diet now for a few days and am looking at this as a lifestyle, not something I plan on "going off of". that being said, I have been suffering with extreme bloating, stomach aches and have gained 5 lbs. without increasing my caloric intake. Help!
    Sounds like SIBO to me you need to follow my SIBO protocol and add eliminate fodmaps and resistant starchs for your diet for one month.

Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    Hi Ron, what does this sound like?

+ Lower / mid right side discomfort, sometimes dull, sometimes a bit sharp, tender areas when pressed, mostly when sitting down or bowing.
    + Morning lower / mid right back discomfort, tender areas.
    + Constipation, small separated hard lumps.
    + Bloated, hard area, also on the right, usually in the morning.
    + off and on quite some gas.
    + Gorgling stomach, when pressed air / gas moves.

My two doctors say IBS and 'IBS like'.
    Thank you.
    IBS-C caused by SIBO. Do you still have your appendix?

Treatment Protocol 1: SIBO

SIBO is a medical condition where a person has too many bad bacteria in their small intestine. This is usually caused by both a poor American diet and long term use of a PPI drug (Proton Pump Inhibitor). Long term use of PPI’s causes bacteria that would normally be eliminated by stomach acid, to survive and flourish in the small intestine. Also the American diet of fermenting carbohydrates causes the bacteria to thrive and produce lots of excess gas. The lack of stomach acid also causes food proteins to be partially undigested which causes allergies to develop and this causes even more gas to build up.

The bacteria also make protective biofilms (one of the most common examples of a biofilm is the “film” found on your teeth when you don’t brush for awhile) which make eradication with antibiotics very difficult. The biofilm protect the bacteria from antibiotic treatment, bactericides, and probiotics. To destroy the opportunistic bacteria you have to also destroy the biofilm that it is hiding behind. This can be obtained by either breaking down the biofilm itself using systemic enzymes or by chelating the Iron out of the biofilm to break it up by using either Calcium Disodium EDTA or NAC.

The main symptoms of SIBO are indigestion, lots of gas, and horrible smelling deification, burps, and flatulence. Most people with IBS are walking around with SIBO as their main cause of their problems. Other symptoms of SIBO include abdominal pains, constipation and/or diarrhea, food allergies, and low grade fever. One of the biggest correlations between a condition and a disease are Rosacea and SIBO. In one major study 96% of Rosacea patients were in remission or cured for at least 9 months after taking Rifaxmin to treat their SIBO.

A hydrogen breath test is used to diagnose SIBO. It is a non-invasive fasting test done in which a doctor has you breathe into a machine that monitors the excess hydrogen or methane that is released by the extra opportunistic bacteria in your small intestine. You are either given glucose, dextrose, or lactulose and results are collected at twenty minute intervals for at least 3-5 hours. If you produce at least 20 ppm of hydrogen or methane then you are positive for SIBO (but even a result of 12 ppm should be treated at the very minimum). Lactulose is the best to use because it isn’t absorbed by the intestinal tract itself. Glucose is easily absorbed by both the bacteria and the intestines. This means it can give a false reading because at least 17 ft of the small intestine will not be tested because of the quick glucose absorption.

Are Opportunistic Bacteria The Main Cause of Leaky Gut?

The excess bacteria in the small intestine can wreck havoc with your health and lead you digestion into a vicious cycle. The more opportunistic bacteria in your small intestine, the more food they consume which can lead to nutrient deficiency of B 12 and Iron, which then leads to the patient developing anemia. The bacteria also consume more nutrients that are now unabsorbed by the gut which leads to both more bacteria and gas production. This leads to abdominal bloating, pain, and flatulence.

The bacteria then start to decrease fat absorption which leads to stool problems with color / fat content and this also leads to deficiencies in vitamins A and D. The intestinal lining further degrades and eventually can’t digest larger food particles which cause food allergies and sensitivities (gluten first, then usually followed by fructose problems, then lactose digestion problems).

Bacteria then enter the bloodstream from the loss of integrity in the intestinal wall and start an immune reaction that causes fatigue, systemic pain, and elevated liver enzymes. Finally, the bacteria start to excrete acids that cause neurological and cognitive problems like brain fog and memory problems. The cycle then continues as the body’s Immune system tries to kill of the opportunistic bacteria which at the same time poison the body with acids and toxins. The vicious cycle then repeats itself in the patient, who becomes sick for a very long time.
    Last edited by Ron_Swanson; 07-03-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Simple to Moderate Cases of SIBO

For 2 weeks / 4 weeks:

Anti-Microbial

PERFERRED: Nature’s Way Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil: 30 min - 1 hour before meals, 2x a day

OR

Choose One Strong Anti-Microbial: Colloidal Silver (Mesosilver, Sovereign Silver, SuperNatural Silver), Oil of Oregano (North American Herb and Spice), Thorne Research Berberine 500 mg: 2 capsules a day, Allicin-C

Biofilm Chelator

PERFERRED: Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach

OR CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

1,200 mg Jarrow NAC Sustain: Take 600 mg Twice a Day on Empty Stomach

Jarrow Formulas Lactoferrin: Follow Supplement Instructions (I would suggest starting at around 125 mg, if not a strong herx reaction may happen)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp's a day

Paleo Diet COMBINED with FODMAP Diet and Limiting of Resistant Starches For At Least a Month

<Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil has been found to have strong antibacterial activity in the gut and is also antispasmodic which is why it has been studied greatly for IBS.

Interfase is a great enzyme combination, the enzyme dissolves the biofilm, the Calcium Disodium EDTA chelates Iron out of the biofilm to break it up and pull the biofilm away.

The NAC or lactoferrin will do the same thing as the Interfase by chelating the Iron out of the biofilm.

Coconut Oil is used to kill any excess yeast in the colon.>

Severe Cases of SIBO

For How Long you are taking the Antibiotic:

Rifaxmin – an antibiotic that onlystays in the gut and is poorly absorbed.

BioFilm Chelator

Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach

Jarrow Formulas Lactoferrin: Follow Supplement Instructions (I would suggest starting at around 125 mg, if not a strong herx reaction may happen)

<Full or Semi Elemental Diet for One Month Followed by Paleo Diet COMBINED with FODMAP / Resistant Starch Diet for TwoMonths>

It is very important that you rebuild the gut afterwards. This will help heal the “leaky gut” caused by SIBO.

Supplements to stop a Bacterial Herx reaction (must be taken all together):

Jarrow Milk Thistle – Follow Supplement instructions

Sun Chlorella – Follow Box Instructions

3,000 mg+ Vitamin C Ester C – Take Vitamin C in divided doses 2 hours apart of 3,000 mg and don’t take more than
    30,000 mg a day.

Activated Charcoal – Follow Supplement Instructions; don’t take more than 12 capsules a day

4,000 mg L-Glutamine – Daily

Epsom Salt Bath

Stay Hydrated

<The Milk Thistle helps detoxify the liver.

The chlorella and charcoal help bind bacterial toxins.
    The L-Glutamine helps repair the intestinal lining.

Vitamin C and Epsom Salt helps break down and eliminate toxins.>

Rebuilding the Gut

Basic Protocol

For a month:

8,000 Mg L-Glutamine – Take in divided doses, 3x a day on an empty stomach if possible

Follow Average Probiotic Protocol

Life Extension Bio Curcumin – Follow General Supplement Recommendations

N-acetylglucosamine (Don’t Use if Allergic to Shellfish) – Follow General Supplement Recommendations

1 tbsp. Grass Fed Butter – 1x a day with meal.

For three months:

600 mg Magnesium Glycinate – Take Before Bed

< L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid and helps rebuild both the stomach lining and the gut.

The probiotic protocol will replace the good bacteria in your gut.

The Curcumin is used to increase immune cells in the gut and heal inflammation.

N-acetylglucosamine is made by the body to increase mucus production in the stomach and gut and to make a protective barrier.

The Grass Fed Butter is high in butyrate which can help repair the intestines.>

Severe Protocol

For a month:

20,000 Mg L-Glutamine – Take in divided doses, 3x a day on an empty stomach if possible. Reduce by 5,000 mg each week until completed.

Follow Advanced Probiotic Protocol

N-acetylglucosamine (Don’t Use if Allergic to Shellfish) – Follow General Supplement Recommendations

SeaCure White Fish Protein Supplement (Don’t Use if Allergic to Fish) – Follow General Supplementation Recommendation

For three months:

<The increase in L-Glutamine is to help the intestine heal greater.
    The Seacure supplement is very high in amino acids that can help heal the gut lining.>
    Last edited by Ron_Swanson; 07-03-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Speaking from my own experience, taking supplements with antibiotic properties helped with my yeast infections, but did nothing for my constipation.

Now, however, it might help me because I'm having symptoms of bacterial overgrowth. Of course, I can't afford to test for it again and the doctor won't prescribe anything without it. I think I overdid it with the probiotics within the past couple of months.
    Taking an antibiotic wipes out digestive probiotics and opportunistic bacteria for everyone who take them. The amount is what differs from patient to patient and if the large intestine can recover on it's own. Also, probiotics are not meant to be taken everyday because in some people this can lead to SIBO.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Simple to Moderate Cases of SIBO

For 2 weeks / 4 weeks:

Anti-Microbial

PERFERRED: Nature’s Way Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil: 30 min - 1 hour before meals, 2x a day

OR

Choose One Strong Anti-Microbial: Colloidal Silver (Mesosilver, Sovereign Silver, SuperNatural Silver), Oil of Oregano (North American Herb and Spice), Thorne Research Berberine 500 mg: 2 capsules a day, Allicin-C

Biofilm Chelator

PERFERRED: Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach

Paleo Diet COMBINED with FODMAP Diet and Limiting of Resistant Starches For At Least a Month

<Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil has been found to have strong antibacterial activity in the gut and is also antispasmodic which is why it has been studied greatly for IBS.

Interfase is a great enzyme combination, the enzyme dissolves the biofilm, the Calcium Disodium EDTA chelates Iron out of the biofilm to break it up and pull the biofilm away.

The NAC or lactoferrin will do the same thing as the Interfase by chelating the Iron out of the biofilm.

Coconut Oil is used to kill any excess yeast in the colon.>

Severe Cases of SIBO

For How Long you are taking the Antibiotic:

Rifaxmin – an antibiotic that onlystays in the gut and is poorly absorbed.

BioFilm Chelator

Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach

<Full or Semi Elemental Diet for One Month Followed by Paleo Diet COMBINED with FODMAP / Resistant Starch Diet for TwoMonths>

It is very important that you rebuild the gut afterwards. This will help heal the “leaky gut” caused by SIBO.

Supplements to stop a Bacterial Herx reaction (must be taken all together):

Jarrow Milk Thistle – Follow Supplement instructions

Sun Chlorella – Follow Box Instructions

3,000 mg+ Vitamin C Ester C – Take Vitamin C in divided doses 2 hours apart of 3,000 mg and don’t take more than
    30,000 mg a day.

Activated Charcoal – Follow Supplement Instructions; don’t take more than 12 capsules a day

4,000 mg L-Glutamine – Daily

Epsom Salt Bath

Stay Hydrated

<The Milk Thistle helps detoxify the liver.

The chlorella and charcoal help bind bacterial toxins.
    The L-Glutamine helps repair the intestinal lining.

Vitamin C and Epsom Salt helps break down and eliminate toxins.>

Rebuilding the Gut

Basic Protocol

For a month:

8,000 Mg L-Glutamine – Take in divided doses, 3x a day on an empty stomach if possible

Follow Average Probiotic Protocol

For three months:

< L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid and helps rebuild both the stomach lining and the gut.

The probiotic protocol will replace the good bacteria in your gut.

The Curcumin is used to increase immune cells in the gut and heal inflammation.

N-acetylglucosamine is made by the body to increase mucus production in the stomach and gut and to make a protective barrier.

The Grass Fed Butter is high in butyrate which can help repair the intestines.>

Severe Protocol

For a month:

20,000 Mg L-Glutamine – Take in divided doses, 3x a day on an empty stomach if possible. Reduce by 5,000 mg each week until completed.

Follow Advanced Probiotic Protocol

SeaCure White Fish Protein Supplement (Don’t Use if Allergic to Fish) – Follow General Supplementation Recommendation

For three months:

<The increase in L-Glutamine is to help the intestine heal greater.
    The Seacure supplement is very high in amino acids that can help heal the gut lining.>

biko is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Ron.

Appendix is still there, yes.

elfman5150 is offline Member
    Ron, do you suggest taking a combination of fermented cod liver oil and grassfed butter oil? As I mentioned in a previous thread yesterday, I am suffering what I believe to be SIBO. My symptoms -
    1.)lots of excess, foul smelling gas
    2.)stool that looks...old. Back when everything was good it had the surface 'cracks' on it and was a medium/dark brown color. The stool is also fairly difficult to wipe. That is, it takes several more wipes than it should, and they are pretty greasy.
    3.)When I do go to the bathroom (number 2), instead of the stool sliding out nicely, it seems like it tries to cling, which makes it even more difficult when it comes to wiping.

I'm unaware of what I may have done to start getting these symptoms, but I've had them before and usually after antibiotics I've been fine. However, I don't want to have to deal with antibiotics again, since I know they can be the CAUSE of SIBO and other digestive issues. Anyway, what do you recommend I do? Any particular supplements (fermented cod liver oil, butter oil, peppermint oil, digestive enzymes, etc.)
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Chris

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast