Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone suffering from digestive issues? page 11

alleycat is offline Junior Member
    Hey Ron,

I've been following your posts for a while and thought I would ask a question since you're so knowledgable.

I believe I've been having gall bladder issues. I've been doing primal for about 7 months-had a handful of pretty terrible gall bladder attacks since then (extremely nauseous, burping non-stop) The dr said I have gall bladder sludge building up, this was over a year ago after a ultra-sound for a physical exam.

I started taking magnesium citrate, 400 mg, while eating dinner and that keeps me regular (which I love), but I still get gall bladder irritation. Last night, after eating meatloaf, I had indigestion, burping, and felt discomfort. I don't know if its because it was a rich meal, or since I'm taking the magnesium it's increasing stomach acid, but now I'm afraid to eat for fear I'll have a gall bladder attack. I know certain food irritate the gall bladder-should I be drinking water, lemon and cayenne pepper mixture in the morning? Any advice is appreciated!!!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    You should take a more conservative route first. Take both Bile Acid Factors By: Jarrow and Digest Gold By: Enzymedica with every fatty meal first for about 2-4 weeks to give your gallbladder a break. Then you should do the cayenne pepper protocol with humic acid after to see if your gallbladder is well enough to start breaking down the bile. Keep more informed.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

alleycat is offline Junior Member
    Okay, thanks for your response, I will do that! Should I keep taking the magnesium as well?

Yes, I would maybe switch to magnesium glycinate 600mg before bed?
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

www.fixyourgut.com

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Loving this. Okay I've got a stumper for you - just to see what you think. (I've got a follow up appointment with my GI doctor in a couple weeks - but in the meantime, I'm curious).

Here's the history -

I've had an appendectomy, cholecystectomy and a history of seasonal eczema, low blood iron levels and high platelets. I have bad hay fever, especially to grass pollen. Trouble losing weight on calorie deficit alone. Low energy, especially after eating. Cranial neuralgia headaches. Restless leg syndrome.

This winter I had 4 attacks of severe upper right quadrant abdominal pain which felt almost exactly like the wrenching pain of a gallbladder attack, only I've already had my gallbladder out for over 3 years. Two of these were bad enough to send me to the emergency room. (The first time I've ever been to the ER in my life - and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain).

Since last spring I also began to notice that my bowel habits were becoming looser (type 5-7 on the Bristol Stool Chart). It may have been like this before, but Spring 2012 is when I actually took note.

This spring, following the pain attacks, I actually started logging my food and symptoms and I have 4-5 days a week with at least one and up to 4 urgent BMs in a day. Often I'll also have tenesmus. Sometimes I have clay colored, sometimes evidence of undigested food - almost always type 5-7. Every once in a rare while, 2-3 times per month, I'll also go over 24 hours without a movement.

A previous blood test for gluten anti-bodies was negative.

This past week I finally got my endoscopy testing done (upper and lower). They found signs of inflammation in my stomach and duodenum as well as polyps in my rectum and ascending colon.

What your differential diagnosis, based on that spectrum of symptoms?

(I should add that I've been doing a gluten challenge since May - eating gluten at pretty much every meal - and I was not eating 100% primal or gluten free when the first attack happened)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    What is your advice to someone who does not have a large intestine yet is constipated, bloated and uncomfortable a lot. I eats PLENTY of fiber and I have tried everything (magnesium, vitamin C, laxatives, the WHOLE SHE-BANG) and nothing seems to work outstandingly.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    While on the elimination end of things, do you have any advice for somebody who occasionally suffers from anal fissures, tears in the rectum. The ointment can rather take a toll on him, they have suffered greatly from GERD in the past, but that has more or less cleared up by change of food, but I think he is missing something. Strange thing, he was away for work for 2 weeks eating really badly and when I asked what he wanted on his return, he wanted bone broth, which to me seems he predicted this on a subconscious level if that does not sound too crazy.
    Life. Be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Loving this. Okay I've got a stumper for you - just to see what you think. (I've got a follow up appointment with my GI doctor in a couple weeks - but in the meantime, I'm curious).

Here's the history -

I've had an appendectomy, cholecystectomy and a history of seasonal eczema, low blood iron levels and high platelets. I have bad hay fever, especially to grass pollen. Trouble losing weight on calorie deficit alone. Low energy, especially after eating. Cranial neuralgia headaches. Restless leg syndrome.

This winter I had 4 attacks of severe upper right quadrant abdominal pain which felt almost exactly like the wrenching pain of a gallbladder attack, only I've already had my gallbladder out for over 3 years. Two of these were bad enough to send me to the emergency room. (The first time I've ever been to the ER in my life - and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain).

Since last spring I also began to notice that my bowel habits were becoming looser (type 5-7 on the Bristol Stool Chart). It may have been like this before, but Spring 2012 is when I actually took note.

This spring, following the pain attacks, I actually started logging my food and symptoms and I have 4-5 days a week with at least one and up to 4 urgent BMs in a day. Often I'll also have tenesmus. Sometimes I have clay colored, sometimes evidence of undigested food - almost always type 5-7. Every once in a rare while, 2-3 times per month, I'll also go over 24 hours without a movement.

A previous blood test for gluten anti-bodies was negative.

This past week I finally got my endoscopy testing done (upper and lower). They found signs of inflammation in my stomach and duodenum as well as polyps in my rectum and ascending colon.

What your differential diagnosis, based on that spectrum of symptoms?

(I should add that I've been doing a gluten challenge since May - eating gluten at pretty much every meal - and I was not eating 100% primal or gluten free when the first attack happened)
    This one is tough. I know you have a magnesium deficiency (RLS, allergies, migraines) and a possible B12 deficiency off the bat. I almost want to say either undiagnosed Celiac or Crohns Disease. Even though your IG-A antibody test came back negative you can still be sensitive to gluten (Same thing happened to me and it triggered my migraines). The pale colored stool is improper utilization of bile due to lack of gallbladder. So this is what we can do to see if it helps:

Eliminate Gluten and Dairy, Possibly lower Fructose to no more than 20 grams a day.
    Purchase Squatty Potty

For Gallbladder:

Take Bile Acid Factors and 1 Capsule Digest Gold With Every Meal High in Fat

For Intestinal and Stomach Inflammation

Life Extension Bio Curcumin (Follow Bottle Instructions)
    Life Extension Fish Oil - 2,000 mg a day
    Pure Encapsulations Zinc Carnosine
    Jarrow Formulas - Fem Dolphilus - 2 Capsules at Bedtime with a glass of non chlorinated water for 1 month
    4,000 mg L Glutamine Powder Daily

Migraines, Deficiencies and General Health

Magnesium Glycinate - 600-800 mg before bed
    Thorne Research Mulivitamin 3-5 (Choose one with iron if you are still having your period) - 4 Capsules A Day
    Ubiquinol - 100 mg Daily (Make sure it is made by Kaneka QH)

www.fixyourgut.com

Gigi have you tried Digestive Enzymes or Swedish Bitters?

Maybe using a good insoluble fiber like Unifiber?

www.fixyourgut.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    While on the elimination end of things, do you have any advice for somebody who occasionally suffers from anal fissures, tears in the rectum. The ointment can rather take a toll on him, they have suffered greatly from GERD in the past, but that has more or less cleared up by change of food, but I think he is missing something. Strange thing, he was away for work for 2 weeks eating really badly and when I asked what he wanted on his return, he wanted bone broth, which to me seems he predicted this on a subconscious level if that does not sound too crazy.
    Magnesium Citrate 400-600 mg as long as kidneys are good and plenty of water to soften stools. Cayenne pepper if he can handle it will increase blood flow to anus region after bowel movement. Hot Sitz bath's can also provide relief.

www.fixyourgut.com

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast