Thread: Increase carbs or just add starches/fruits? page

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member

Increase carbs or just add starches/fruits?

Shop Now
    So, I've concluded that VLC isn't for me. I WAS active until I went VLC but got to a point where I could barely jog a mile in the evening (I use to jog 8-9 miles daily), despite patiently waiting for at least 8 weeks to become 'fat-adapted' and relying on possibly the most insufficient and ineffective source of fuel, ketones. I barely had any sense of alertness let alone jog.

Anyway, since gradually increasing my overall carbohydrate intake from 50-100g total carbs over a period of two weeks, I've started to feel better but not 100%. I really can't eat any more vegetables and I need glucose.

Should I just include starches (in the form of potatoes or rice) and/or fruits in my current carb allowance, continue eating non-starchy vegetables and up the carbs or just both?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Both.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Yes.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yay! I'm so glad to hear that you've finally decided to increase your carb intake. My personal opinion is that glucose is better than fructose so starch is better than fruit. The starch in rice and potatoes is converted into glucose after you eat and digest it. Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, contain starch, a small amount of fructose, and a lot of sucrose. Because a molecule of sucrose is basically a dimer, composed of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose, sucrose is half fructose by weight so if something has 10 g of sucrose, it basically has 5 g fructose and 5 g glucose.

Some reading materials:
    9 Steps to Perfect Health – #2: Nourish Your Body (Scroll down to read the carbohydrate section.)
    Ask Chris: Is Fructose Really That Bad? (Kresser doesn't think fruit is bad for you, but he still recommends limiting it to 2-3 servings a day in the Nourish Your Body link above. But he doesn't define what a serving is so I just assume that it means 2-3 pieces of fruit a day.)
    The Perfect Health Diet folks also discuss fructose vs glucose: Is It Good to Eat Sugar? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Anyway, I guess my recommendation is eat more starch and also eat some fruit but don't go too crazy on the fruit. You can probably also increase your total carb consumption to between 100 and 150 g per day.

Edited to add: I didn't mean to imply that sweet potatoes are bad. I think they're good but just be aware of what's in it and what you're eating. I eat either sweet potatoes or potatoes pretty much every day.
    Last edited by diene; 06-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Mike, very happy to read this! Congrads on making the mind shift - stay with it.

My advice is - don't over think this new venture too much. Aim for a balance of foods: Have some protein, starch, fruit, fat every day. Start small - like maybe a portion of your favourite fruit, and some potato.

Find what works for you: what keeps you happy, sustained, and not feeling deprived or obsessive.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat