Thread: Ongoing IBS/leaky gut issue.... page

becks83 is offline Member

Ongoing IBS/leaky gut issue....

Shop Now
    The main reason I started eating primally (about 18 months ago) was to fix my digestive issues, leaky gut/IBS type symptoms. Things have been a lot better - massive reduction in bloating, cramps etc.
    But for ages now I've been having a recurring issue - bowel habits ok during the week, sometimes not very forthcoming, then I wake up at the weekend and have the opposite problem. It's like everything, errr... clears itself out TMI, sorry, but I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't seem to matter what I've eaten, or if I've had any alcohol or not. All I know is it leaves me feeling drained, lethargic, nauseous, and wanting to eat everything in sight. I get a little discomfort in my abdominal area but not pain as such. Sometimes it also gives me a low mood, which doesn't help with restraining my appetite.

Then within a day or two it normalizes again.

I eat around 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein, although this sometimes varies a little. The only thing I can think bringing the sudden change on is relaxation - I'm up at 6/7am during the week and either work-out then go to work, or go straight to work. I wake at the same time at the weekend but obviously take it slower, have a lay in, don't work out til a little later.

Has anyone experienced similar, or can offer any advice for evening things out a bit?

Thanks

I think relaxation could definitely be the reason. I'm usually home with kids, but if I have several days where I'm running around, I don't "go". Then I have a day home and I go and go and go (although I don't have diarrhea).

Is there anything you're eating that could still be causing the diarrhea? Dairy? Any sometimes food you're eating too much of? I'm not savvy enough to know if you're percentages are good. Maybe someone else can give you better info on that.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Diane Sanfilippo is very keen on gut health and there's a digestive health eating plan in Practical Paleo. She's also answered a bunch of questions on it on her podcast:

Podcast Episode #91: All things digestion
    Podcast Episode #38: All About Poop
    [url=http://balancedbites.com/2013/04/podcast-episode-83-all-about-digestion-bloating-constipation-ibs-more.html[/url]

Chris Kresser has also written a lot about gut health.

Maybe one will shed some light?
    Last edited by upupandaway; 06-14-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: wonky URL

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Can you wake up a bit earlier on the weekdays and have a hot drink and give your body time to have a proper bowel movement? I've found that I'm very regular now, provided I am up about the same time, have some coffee and let things happen. When I don't follow my routine things get out of whack, and it sets me up for something similar to what you experience.

becks83 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Can you wake up a bit earlier on the weekdays and have a hot drink and give your body time to have a proper bowel movement? I've found that I'm very regular now, provided I am up about the same time, have some coffee and let things happen. When I don't follow my routine things get out of whack, and it sets me up for something similar to what you experience.
    I could do, but I get up an hour earlier than I need to to fit in a workout/shower most days, and I never really want a hot drink before I get to work. I would've thought that hour I have of jumping around, plus drinking plenty of water, might have helped if the issue was not leaving enough 'waking up' time before setting off to work (as I used to suspect it was). I do have weeks where I seem to go 'normally' during the week and this problem still arises at the weekend.

Thanks for those podcast links - I will give those a listen!

After spending the last 2 days feeling sick and depressed, I think I may need to adopt a stricter regime (similar to autoimmune paleo) to see if I can sort it out again. Thanks for your input guys