Thread: Getting Enough Fat page

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member

Getting Enough Fat

Primal Fuel
    I'm gluten- and dairy-intolerant and have been off those foods for over two years. Recently I confirmed a suspicion that I also react to chicken eggs, so those are off my menu for now. (I'm working on sourcing some local duck and/or goose eggs.) My meals consist mostly of meat, veggies, nuts & seeds, and some fruit.

This leaves me wondering how to get enough fat in my diet? Lots of omelets and heavy cream used to do the trick for me, but now I'm finding it really hard. I eat nuts and nut butter (not peanut butter) and throw 1-3T of coconut oil in every dish I cook, but it doesn't feel like enough - I still graze and get cravings and feel less than satisfied. I'm trying to lose about 10-15 lbs and would love to get this under control.

Admittedly, I have not been eating nearly enough bacon. Any other ideas? TIA!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I think I'd be happy to discover that I needed a whole avocado with every meal to keep up with my fat needs

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    +1 for avocado!

Also, if you are a little bit of an epicure, you may want to try an old russian comfort food: salo. Its simple yet gets the job done. It is simply salted pork back fat. It is very good!

If you really want to get extreme with upping your fat intake, drink some coconut milk. That will definitely get the job done.

Mmmmm for the avocado! Also coconut milk which I love, but just drinking it straight up? Is that tasty? I did do some salt pork in the slow cooker a while back and it was super tasty, but I don't have a slow cooker here. How do you cook it otherwise? Maybe a really basic question but I was a vegetarian for 17 years and I'm still learning how to cook meat.

I just found a local source for duck eggs and am going to give them a try. Any other ideas? I want to make sure I get a good ratio of fats, too.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    Mmmmm for the avocado! Also coconut milk which I love, but just drinking it straight up? Is that tasty? I did do some salt pork in the slow cooker a while back and it was super tasty, but I don't have a slow cooker here. How do you cook it otherwise? Maybe a really basic question but I was a vegetarian for 17 years and I'm still learning how to cook meat.

I just found a local source for duck eggs and am going to give them a try. Any other ideas? I want to make sure I get a good ratio of fats, too.
    If you love coconut, you will definitely enjoy drinking coconut milk. In fact, I had some leftover coconut milk last night, and didn't really have anything to cook it with so I just drank it. It was amazing! Tastes so pure and natural.

As for the salo, you eat it without cooking it. If you have an eastern european or russian grocer or deli in your area, come right in there and ask for some of it. Its ready to eat right from the package. They have a smoked variety and its very good! It is very salty though, so if you do not like salty foods you may want to sample some before you buy it.

Eggs are definitely another great source of good old fat! Especially from locally owned farms. Those things are very versatile and fun to cook. I like to eat my eggs in bacon, first frying the bacon to get some fat out of it and then cook the eggs in the bacon fat. Yum!

cooking meat in general is only as complicated as you make it. For the case of ground beef, I find that my local whole foods (i live in the northern chicago suburbs) carries organic 100% grass fed ground beef, and if you buy at least 3 pounds it costs 3.99/lb. Its a steal! Easy to cook too. I am planning on making a meatza one of these days. You could also make a nice curry using any meat your heart desires, coconut milk, and spices.

Check around the recipe forum for some great ideas. bon appetite!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Salmon has a good balance of protein and fat in it and fattier cuts of beer taste awesome!

Thanks for the info about salo - I'll definitely give it a try! And I do need to get a bit more adventurous with cooking different cuts of meat.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post

I mix in a bit of curry powder with my coconut milk and chug away. Great stuff.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.