Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements: How do you know you can drop them? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Supplements: How do you know you can drop them?

Shop Now
    I am really unhappy about the handfuls of pills I take 2x a day and I am wondering how I can figure out what I can eliminate? It takes like 3 weeks for each of the pills to kick in and make the difference, so I am worried that if I drop and it will make things worse, I would not be able to repair the damage for a couple of months. Lately I was not taking magnesium and it seem to have not caused any changes, so I figure I will just keep ignoring it.

Anyone has experience with it? I take:

Multivitamin (1x1)
    Zink (1x1)
    ALA (2x2)
    Glucomannan (2x2)
    5HTTP (2x1)

So, in total I take 12 pills a day in addition to drinking herbal chi-or-something-balancing from my acupuncturist (that I already decided to drop once the bottle runs out).

I would like to cut zink and 5HTTP for starters. In the past cutting out multivitamin always brought foot cramps in 2-3 weeks, so I will need to keep it probably.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, but I used to take more supplements, and now I don't, and I'm fine. Now I take a fish oil a day. If I don't get any sun I'll have a couple drops of vitamin D. Magnesium every once in a while, but that seems unnecessary.

I haven't had a multi or anything else in...I dunno, a long time.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

I eat a teaspoon or so of actual canned cod liver instead of fish oil pills, I like that more

Ron_Swanson is online now Senior Member
    5HTP should only be used for a short period of time. Continuously increased Serotonin can be a bad thing to the body. There are some instances of 5HTP, causing SSRI withdrawl symptoms if you stop taking it for awhile. Google Dr. Ann Blake Tracy. If you are depressed SAM-E is an excellent supplement that can help with your joints. Just make sure you take a good B-Complex with it because it "may" increase homocysteine.

Replace the ALA to the superior RLA by Jarrow and you would only need to take one a day with your biggest meal. Foot cramps are likely a magnesium deficiency, how much is in your multivitamin.

I am not depressed, intitally took it to be able to manage VLC without going crazy, and then to help with limiting fruit to like 1 a day (i.e wanting sweets). I think after I took off restriction to fruit and carbs, it should be totally unnecessary to take it for me?

Replace the ALA to the superior RLA by Jarrow and you would only need to take one a day with your biggest meal. Foot cramps are likely a magnesium deficiency, how much is in your multivitamin.
    It's both B-complex and Magnesium. Initially just took B, cramps went away. Before I did VLC, 1 multi vitamin was fine to keep cramps away, then I did VLC, switched the brand, and it did not have Mg, and foot cramps started again, even though B was there. Plus Mg was supposed to help with being dizzy and lethargic. I can just keep 1 pill a day and see how it goes.

Replace the ALA to the superior RLA by Jarrow and you would only need to take one a day with your biggest meal.
    I will take a look to see if RLA available in Canada.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-14-2013 at 07:31 AM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to take a handful of supplements, but now i just keep vit d and magnesium on hand for times when i'm not getting what i need from food...which is pretty rare since i regularly have sardines/oysters, aged grass-fed cheese, egg yolks, a variety of nuts, brightly colored veggies, etc... i should probably eat more organ meats though.
    point is...if your diet is good, start dropping the supplements one by one and see if you start to notice any changes.

I eat a lot of fruit and berries, fish and organ meats, but I dropped eggs & nightshades & trying to drop nuts, so my veggies are mostly orange/yellow (tubers) and green.

I think I start with 5HTP and magnesium since I brought in both in attempts to lower the carbs. Thank you, folks, looking back at why the heck I even started on each supplement helps!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I disagree that 5-HTP is unsafe to take for extended periods of time. Personally, it only takes me a few days to notice a difference with a 5-HTP dose change. I have been taking 150 mg daily (split into a dose of 100 and 50 mg in the evening) for a while now. When I want to decrease the dose, I'll monitor my sleep quality and moods for a few days. I can usually tell pretty quickly if it's okay or not. I'll either feel better (so I'll stay at the dose) or worse (so I'll go back and try again later).

I've been reducing from 300 mg for the past 8 months or so, but my gut health is poor so it probably takes me longer that it might others to reduce the dose.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    oysters for zinc

Live far away from the sea, and all canned oysters have crap in them Only ate an oyster once in my life.

Oh, I started eating coca nibs by about a tbsp or two a day. It says they are rich in Mg, maybe that should help.

Namelesswonder, I did not have mood problems before VLC, so I am thinking I might not need 5HTP if I am not trying to cut the carbs any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast