Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insects vs. Grass Fed Beef page

Insects vs. Grass Fed Beef

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This youtube vid on PHD got me to wondering. Are bugs as healthy a source of meat as grass fed mammals? Are their any downsides from a primal point of view? Is there an equivalent problem between grass fed vs grain fed in the insect farming world? And where the heck can I buy waxworms or scorpions?

Paleobird Guest
    There is a poster here named Diana Renata (doesn't post very often any more) and I know she grows her own mealworms and is quite the expert of all things related to bugs as food. Maybe shoot her a PM.

I've had deep fried caterpillars when I was in Africa and they were delicious.

vincebae is offline Member
    Not quite sure which is better in nutrition, but I've heard that bugs are good protein source.
    As far as I know, there are still many cultures which still use bugs for food, and I think that people would eat bugs in paleolithic time because:
    - bugs are easy to catch than bigger animals
    - bugs can be actually quite delicious if cooked well
    - bugs can be easily grown than bigger animals or even plants

If you have a Korean grocery market near your place, you can buy a can of silkworm pupas from there.
    It look like this: *앤미로직스
    However, those cans usually contain soy sauce (that contains wheat) and MSG in there.

Chuck_S is offline Junior Member
    You'll find some of your answers here:
    U.N. Urges Eating Insects; 8 Popular Bugs to Try

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
    You'll find some of your answers here:
    U.N. Urges Eating Insects; 8 Popular Bugs to Try
    Very interesting link, but they don't really do a "Mark's Daily Apple" type breakdown of the nutritional benefits/disadvantages, which is more what I am looking for. Minerals, breakdown of the fats, stuff like that. I'd also be curious as to the way they are farmed and if that has an effect on health. What are farmed insects fed? A natural diet or is there some kind of insect version of CAFO that renders the bugs less healthy their wild counterparts?

Paleobird, where in Africa did you get the fried catepillars? What do they taste like?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Mark doesn't compair 'em to beef, but he gives bugs a pretty solid thumbs up providing you know which ones are safe!

Edible Bugs | Mark's Daily Apple

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I've been eating one small unwashed salad (fresh clipped from my garden) everyday for a week or two now. I've "accidentally" eaten me a few bugs and a bit of dirt. Nothing that has stopped me from finishing the bowl so far though

Uh-oh.... just read yours drumroll. Not sure which are safe or even what that crunch and ooze was for sure! Will I live?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I've been eating one small unwashed salad (fresh clipped from my garden) everyday for a week or two now. I've "accidentally" eaten me a few bugs and a bit of dirt. Nothing that has stopped me from finishing the bowl so far though

Uh-oh.... just read yours drumroll. Not sure which are safe or even what that crunch and ooze was for sure! Will I live?
    It's just that some bugs are deadly poisonous if eaten, a potential deterrent to would-be predictors like birds and spiders, ect. so you have to know which are which.

I bet you'll live though.

Mark Rottmann is offline Junior Member
    yes, but if you can't get over the concept of eating the bug - there are some other alternatives.

Fish Protein Powder is now on the market - AminoMarine brand - it tastes good - great for daily shakes.

mix with 4oz almond milk, 2 oz water, 1/2 banana, tsp flax seed, kale, spinach and berries - truly delicious and Paleo

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I've also tried caterpillar, in China, it was ok. At some stage while I was there I remember someone ordering 'water beetles' in a restaurant. It looked like a plate of 'roaches. There's no way....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast