Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pretend NonPrimal Foods: good or bad? page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    Ultimately, aren't most of these things just another kind of 'fake'? I could have my sorta-primal bread and butter with a cup of black tea for breakfast, my salad with my nearly-primal mayo for lunch and my dinner with meat and veg the arrowroot-thickened gravy for dinner, oh and my coffee with cream of course with some chocolate, and maybe a low-carb flax muffin... is this primal or am I living the same as I always did, really?
    It's more veggies. But it's definitely not primal.

Surely at some point we need to let go of the crutches and be content with sometimes having an empty stomach, with grabbing a handful of nuts and a bit of fruit, or a big roasted hunk of meat and some veggies and be done with it. We sort of talked about this a bit in the "over analyze" thread.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    I think this becomes sort of an elitist "I'm better than you because I eat plain roasted meat and veg, not like you with your bacon mayo and almond flour pancakes." I've seen threads like this before and just wonder what the big deal is.
    Oh I hope not, that's not my intention at all.

Everyone is at different places: I know my approach would probably be shredded by 'elitists', especially if we got into an exercise discussion!

I think the main point I'm making is: lots of time and effort making it look like the old stuff, and still staying in the same mental place. (is that going to help the cravings, or perpetuate them?)

If someone love pancakes, why wouldn't it be awesome for them to start making almond flour pancakes with berries on top instead of Bisquick with tons of Aunt Jemmima's maple flavored corn syrup on top?
    I'm making them on an almost daily basis. But is the cooked almond flour sabotaging my omega3? If we're talking optimizing, should these be a rare treat?

Your 3 yr old wants cupcakes for his birthday? Why not make them with coconut flour? Is there really a need to become purists?
    That's different. Go the cupcakes for sure. I'm not talking treats - I'm talking daily habits.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I edited the title to ditch the "good or bad" to "help or hinder" which might be more useful.

Nothing against mayo btw - just came to mind cos I've seen a couple of recipe threads.

The Natufians made a sort of grain flatbread; I guess they were Neolithic... I've still got a lot of prehistory to brush up on!

Maybe continuing to live as always but just finding good, healthy substitutions for CW food is something that will really work well for most people, and it's certainly something that most of the other 'low carb' type sites I've browsed seem to aim for. Maybe my looking at it with suspicion is because I'm overall not content with modern life; I always feel that there's an artificiality to everything that we do. Not sure what is at the root of that.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

That's different. Go the cupcakes for sure. I'm not talking treats - I'm talking daily habits.
    I can see where you're coming from. I've seen a couple of threads that get into a more primal less primal than thou and I just think it's ridiculous. You're right, focusing on health should be the main goal.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member
    I think different things work for different people. I said when I started that I was an all or nothing kind of a person, which is why I was so successful at the beginning when I began my anti-inflammatory diet brought to me by my PT, before I became primal. I was SO desperate to make a change to my life that the 'rules' about what I should and shouldn't eat were what I needed to point me in the right direction.

Once I had lost over 30 pounds, I let a few non-primal things back in and whilst I didn't put any weight on, my form went a bit 'puffy' and I wasn't as toned - that was the inflammation kicking back in from a few (gluten-free) crackers, more cheese than a little bit, the odd biscuit or whatver and so on. There's my true proof that for me, I need to be really rather strict with myself. But that doesn't mean other people can't go 80/20, or whatever works for them.

Since going back to 100% primal, it seems as if my body has received a wake-up call on all fronts. And psychologically i feel much more balanced (if not overwhelmingly positive) than I did when I was back-sliding too much for me.

Each to their own. We're none of us perfect!

Grok on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12