Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ?perfect health diet? page

Mutton is offline Senior Member

?perfect health diet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My mother has been reading this;

Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

She's asking lots of questions, but I haven't had time to read it yet! Have you read it? What do you think?

It appears to suggest an awful lot more carbohydrate that what I thought was healthy. However, I am aware that a lot of paleolithic cultures ingest a lot of cassava etc (eg Papua New Guineans tribesmen).

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I have not read the book but printed out their high resolution apple and stuck it on my and my mother-in-law's fridge doors.
    I don't care too much about the theory behind since I can make informed guesses from various free sources and experimenting on myself.

Yes, they recommend quite some "safe starches" but look again at the apple shaped into a ying-yang. If you drew a vertical axis along the apple and choose a point on this axis, it would tell you how much in proportion you should eat starches-plant foods vs fat-meat-animal foods. Seen in this way, you can conclude that it leaves room for both types of extreme: high starch low animal food diets and high animal food and low starch diets.

Cathartes is offline Member
    I haven't read the book,but I have hear Jaminet (the author) on multiple interviews. His approach seems similar to Primal/Paleo. He's intelligent and has good ideas. I think that his ideas are totally compatible with "paleo" even if the carb ratios are different. Both are about eating "real" food.

I love PHD. It is basically primal but places a greater emphasis on reducing the amount of toxins you put in your body. Their blog is one of the best in the paleosphere and a must read.

neowild is offline Member
    I've read it too. It's an excellent book. Check out this review at Gnolls.org.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Somehow the carbohydrate guidelines became controversial even though they're in the 100~150g range which is less than half of SAD/USDA levels and no different than other paleo guides. The book walks you through their rationale for each food recommendation, I highly recommend it.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the PHD is a great alternative diet to the Primal Lifestyle. Increasing of carbs isn't always a bad thing if they are "safe" carbs. Remember if you are suffering from adrenal fatigue, a keto based diet might not be the best thing to your adrenals heal. I would say that the PHD is a adrenal fatigue friendly paleo diet that people can use until they heal then they can switch to a cyclic ketogenic diet to lose weight.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I recommended it to my mom, and she is thriving on it. I chose that over paleo, because my mom is forever biking, gardening or doing some other endless cardio outdoors activity. She was also initially pretty hungry, until she gradually increased tubers.

The apple diagram is great for my daughter, she loves it, and she was like 4 yo when I put it on the fridge (coming to 7 now!).

Personally, I do not try to adhere to any macros now, just eat lots of veggies, fruit and the best meats/fats I can get.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I have not read the book, but I've read in other people's posts about the book on this forum that the recommended macro ratio is roughly 1/3 carbs, 1/3 protein, and 1/3 fat. That is the macro ratio I strive for these days. Some days I end up with slightly more carbs; other days, slightly more fat. But I think it averages out to about 1/3 of each.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's a good book. Mark wrote the forward or preface or something. There's a blog, too. I find the blog to be way too technical for me to enjoy reading it. I imagine the book is similar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast