Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?perfect health diet? page 2

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Excellent book. If I had only two in my library, it would be primal blueprint and PHD

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody! I will definitely read it once semester is over!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've read it and the blog. Too much starch for my personal taste and I don't completely agree with the authors premise on how "necessary" it is. Beyond that its actually a good read and remains a low carb approach in comparing to sad. I haven't read the new version, but the old version was about a 20-30% carb, 60% fat, and the rest protein. So lowish carb, high fat, and low to moderate protein. Thats another difference. Less protein. Probably not bad as a maintenance idea as when your eating enough calories it doesn't take as much protein to retain lean mass, but when your working to lose fat I'd say best to stick to the higher protein recommended by Primal

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Meh.

Low carb causing a mucus deficiency?
    Low carb causes scurvy?

Methinks the doctor protests too much.

He had problems with very low carb due to under-eating protein and found some hypothoses that worked for him. The science doesn't agree.

http://www.lucastafur.com/2011/03/ketomyths_08.html

http://www.lucastafur.com/2011/03/ketomyths-ii_17.html

I'll stick with the PB.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.

miata is online now Senior Member
    I've read the book and listened to a bunch of podcasts with Paul. I think the book is very good for anybody that wants to know the science behind nutrition. The chapter that talks about macro ratios for mammals and their milk is fascinating. Paul is pretty much against PUFAs -- especially Omega 6 -- also get get enough Omega 3 from natural sources and not too much. For this reason he is not a big fan of chicken or pork. He is also against multi-vitamins and has a pretty nice supplements recommendation list that I follow religiously.

I'm glad I got the Kindle version of the book, because I often refer back to certain sections.

I really don't think the diet is far off from Primal. There is no perfect diet, but I think the PHD is the closest thing to perfection for me. I get a bit of exercise and found that having safe carbs at dinner only works wonders for me -- I sleep better, have better workout recovery and even think that it helps me lose weight. I probably eat on the low end of PHD recommendations, and still don't feel comfortable with rice in my diet. I do sweet potatoes, white potatoes ans started playing with quinoa.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Too much starch for my personal taste and I don't completely agree with the authors premise on how "necessary" it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    He had problems with very low carb due to under-eating protein and found some hypothoses that worked for him.
    Judging from his Q&A posts, I think his attitude is that a variety of carb + protein packages will work as long as the two add up to a sufficient amount. His issue with VLC is that much of the protein ends up as glucose anyway, and in practice most people would find a double meat portion less interesting to eat and much more expensive than 1 meat + 1 starch unless they have a medical need to keep BG as flat as possible.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Judging from his Q&A posts, I think his attitude is that a variety of carb + protein packages will work as long as the two add up to a sufficient amount. His issue with VLC is that much of the protein ends up as glucose anyway, and in practice most people would find a double meat portion less interesting to eat and much more expensive than 1 meat + 1 starch unless they have a medical need to keep BG as flat as possible.
    Huh? Give me double steak any day!

Anyway, when you are truly keto-adapted, your body gets more efficient and also turns glycerol into the glucose needed, so less protein is required for GNG.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Huh? Give me double steak any day!
    Dig in!
    Alas those of us in wage slavery appreciate our 25-cent taters.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I love the apple diagram. Especially the pleasure foods .

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I saw this book in a book store and noticed the foreword by Mark Sisson.

Higher carb than standard prima/paleo it seems and a small amount of white rice is recommended on PHD but no other grains. I think the authors say the toxins are cooked out white white rice so they ok to consume ( I'll read up more on this).

They seem to base it on paleo - their modified version I guess.

I read the first twenty pages on my mobile device at:
    http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/114...800#fullscreen

Looks interesting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast